Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm currently struggling to choose between the D-Lux 5 and the V-Lux 40. Both of them are good cameras and it seems that both of them have their advantages and disadvantages. Is it really that simple to say that the Lux 5 is better because of its bigger sensor?

I currently own a Canon 7D and use it primarely for filmmaking. I want the Leica as compact camera that I can take with me wherever I go (I'll use it for photos of people, buildings, landscapes etc.). Obviously the quality is the most important factor. I've limited my choice to those two cameras because they fit my budget. I'm happy for any advice from people who own the camera/know a lot about them! Thanks, Fabien

I own the DL4 and recently purchased the non-GPS Panny version ZS19. I was interested in more lens reach and the occasional video (HD). The ZS19 was more of a complement to the

DL4.

There's a difference in image quality for sure, but the ZS19 is very versatile with the 24-480 zoom. I took the DL4 on an extended trip to France and had no regrets. However, I find the ZS19 to be a very fun camera to use and more versatile albeit the hit on image quality relative to the DL4.

I would urge you to consider the Panny version for either camera and save at least 50% on cost. Doing the math, if you got the Panny versions, you could get both the LX 5 and ZS19/20 and it would still be cheaper than either the DL5 or V-Lux 40.

Check the forums especially regarding differences between the Panny's and the Leicas; there isn't much.

For me the DLux5/LX5 is the only choice because of the optional EVF. I've had a DLux3 and kept it only as an emergency backup because arms-out viewing (neck craned so as to see thru the bottom of my bifocals) is not conducive to me making anything but crap pictures.

While on the subject, I chose the DLux3 over its Panny fraternal twin because there was "only" a couple hundred between them, twice the warranty, and better resale potential. However I now chose the LX5 because there's almost $450 difference, I already have Lightroom, and I'd need to buy the extra grip for the Leica where the Panny's is integral.

I had the same dilemma between the D-Lux 5 and a V-Lux 30. I wanted something to take on holiday and several major, upcoming social occasions. It was only when I went into my local Leica shop and saw that there was hardly any difference in the size (i.e. the D-Lux was much smaller than I imagined) I went for the D-Lux with its larger sensor. The focal length range was perfect for what I wanted, landscapes, architecture, portraits and parties !

Can't beat going into a shop!

Edited by Tietje

I have used the D-Lux 5 for a year and a half and it has performed brilliantly. Pictures are definitely publication quality. The fast wideangle zoom 24-90mm-equivalent is very useful. (There is also an 18mm Panasonic adapter available should you need it.) I don't bother with an EVF but do have an optical 24mm finder which is useful in bright light when you can't see the LCD image. The D-Lux 5 is a good backup to a Leica M or a DSLR.

My brother-in-law just bought the Panasonic TZ30 which I believe is the Panasonic version of the new Leica V-Lux 40. He wanted hi-res video. I am not fussed about that. It also has a massive zoom range of 24-480mm. For me, 24-90 is enough. The V-Lux 40 is also slower, just f3.3 at the wide end compared with f/2 for the D-Lux 5, so won't be so good in low light. With all small sensor cameras you don't really want to shoot much above ISO 400-800 unless you want a grainy effect.

The V-Lux 40 is packed with stuff like GPS, which I have no use for.

I have recently purchased the DLUX5 after deliberating whether to go for this or the Panni LX5. I must say that I have a stable of Nikon DSLR's, a battery of lenses, Nikon GPS etc., a Digilux 1, C-Lux 1, Digilux 2 (which I love) and a D-Lux 5 as stated. My final decision to go for the DLUX5 was based as follows. I felt that the image quality after viewing many user piccies from both cameras, that there was to my eye a subtle but obvious superior quality with the DLUX5 images. In use, I am constantly overwhelmed at the images this camera produces; crisp, beautifully exposed and in poor light, superb noise control amongst a bevvy of other features. And boy, what a relief not to have to carry around the weight of the Nikon's and various lenses anymore except for specific shoots. I also read a posting that said that Leica run a parallel production line to Panasonic for better quality control? Don't know if this has been substantiated? I love my new camera!!!!!!!!! What more can I say? I am a retired pro photographer. Hope the above helps. Best of luck. JHC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have recently purchased the DLUX5 after deliberating whether to go for this or the Panni LX5...My final decision to go for the DLUX5 was based as follows. I felt that the image quality after viewing many user piccies from both cameras, that there was to my eye a subtle but obvious superior quality with the DLUX5 images...I also read a posting that said that Leica run a parallel production line to Panasonic for better quality control? Don't know if this has been substantiated?

I know better than to argue with you about the respective IQ, as you must realize the lens and sensors are identical, and though Jpeg processing might very well be different, I would love to hear the science as to how the RAW output could differ. Perhaps sample variation?

As to Leica doing extra QC on the compacts, that I can believe. It fact I wonder if that's what their QC guys were doing the day they let my M9 out the door with the rangefinder completely out of adjustment :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same dilemna as the OP. These two camera both seem very good with the D-Lux5 out for a while now and tried and tested. I guess not many people at this stage have had a chance to evaluate the V-Lux40. But based on the track record of the V-Lux 30, and its reported specs, in the end I have ordered the 40, I will really only use it for travel photography. ...and it is NEW !

I am hesitant to buy the D-Lux 5 to replace my current D-Lux 3 (which have come to the end of its life) as I think Leica will introduce D-Lux 6 in the very near future. From statistics, the 3 was out in 9/2006, 4 in 9/2008, and 5 in 9/2010. Can we expect the 6 this coming September?

And just out of curiosity (and no offense to Leica). Can we expect the quality for the D-Lux 5 marketed in Asian countries to be the same as the one in Europe or the U.S.?

Interesting thread.

I have a CLE 28,40 &90mm prime lenses.I have a Digilux 2 28-90mm continuous zoom. I crave something more pocketable but I really want something wider than 28mm and therein lies the dilemma. I know that the D-Lux5 has rave reviews and for most things will cover my needs. The V-Lux 40 is slightly better at 24mm but has increased bulk and lower quality...

So I am still procrastinating

Paul, I am curious what makes you say, "The V-Lux 40 is slightly better at 24mm"? Do you mean in terms of IQ? I have found the D-Lux 5 is excellent at 24mm with very minimal distortion. I have not compared results of the V-Lux 40. If you wish, you can also get a wide-angle Panasonic adaptor for the D-Lux 5 that will extend the range out to 18mm-equivalent.

I just bought my wife a V Lux 40 for an anniversary present. Her pure joy makes any technical discussion redundant.

She has a great eye, and has already produced some lovely images. The camera has become an inseparable part of her in only a week.:):):)

Paul, I am curious what makes you say, "The V-Lux 40 is slightly better at 24mm"? Do you mean in terms of IQ? I have found the D-Lux 5 is excellent at 24mm with very minimal distortion. I have not compared results of the V-Lux 40. If you wish, you can also get a wide-angle Panasonic adaptor for the D-Lux 5 that will extend the range out to 18mm-equivalent.

My error I thought the D-Lux 5 was 28-90 and therefore as the V-lux 40 goes down to 24mm it was a better option. I now realise my mistake.

There are so many models and so many specs it's hard to keep up! I have to constantly check. I thought the X1 and X2 had an f2 lens then remembered it's only a f2.8. The D-Lux 5 has a f2 24m to f/3.3 90mm-equivalent lens and the V-Lux 40 has a whopping f3.3 24mm to f/6.4 480 mm-equivalent lens. Up to you whether you need the extra focal length, but if you get the V-Lux 40 you are getting a significantly slower lens. The D-Lux's f/2 is very useful in low light.

• 2 weeks later...
For me the DLux5/LX5 is the only choice because of the optional EVF. I've had a DLux3 and kept it only as an emergency backup because arms-out viewing (neck craned so as to see thru the bottom of my bifocals) is not conducive to me making anything but crap pictures.

While on the subject, I chose the DLux3 over its Panny fraternal twin because there was "only" a couple hundred between them, twice the warranty, and better resale potential. However I now chose the LX5 because there's almost $450 difference, I already have Lightroom, and I'd need to buy the extra grip for the Leica where the Panny's is integral.

+ 1.

Accuse me of treason, but I sold my R6 system to buy a Canon 5DII and 24-105. Great quality, but what a lump hanging around my neck. My wife was getting sick of the intrusive size of the Canon, so I bought a LX5 to use when I'm with her. a D-Lux 5 would have been nice, but the higher price would have gone down even less well than the purchase of the LX5.

I wanted to compare the two cameras and shot the same scenes on RAW at the lowest ISO and converted them to JPEG using the bundled software. I used the 16x9 aspect ratio on the LX5. On our Sony Bravia TV, the LX5 shots looked more impressive than those from the 5DII. Although the differences were evident when enlarged on the computer screen, when shown on the TV the resolution limitations certainly favoured the LX5! The most obvious difference was seen when higher ISOs were used. Then the LX5 fell away.

All things considered, the LX5 is a fantastic camera that 'punches way beyond it's weight!'

Ian

• 1 month later...

I swapped my V-lux20 for a D-Lux5, I too got fed up trying to see the screen when shooting.

The D-Lux5 with optional EVF which I got is much easier to use, the zoom whilst being smaller in range is much smoother in operation and easier to control. I also like the facility to alter the focus range and aspect ratio from the lens barrel, and when in Aperture/shutter priority mode can alter settings from thumb wheel without going into menu system.

I realised that a D-Lux6 may be around the corner but I decided not to wait, there are some good deals around at present, although stocks seem to be running short.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Just a short note to hopefully put to bed the above eternal question. "PC Mag" has published a "vs" test of both cameras and they found that the IQ of the D-Lux 5 was considerably superior to that of the LX5. Your choice!

JHC.

@JHC Could you please provide a link? I searched the PC Mag site but could not find the article...

Thanks in advance!