Found strange Leica 250 reporter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

I bought a 250 reporter last WE down here in Capetown South africa with 7 other cameras in a lot (am very exited)

on closer inspection and a careful clean( all the vulcanite s gone) , I discovered a few anomalies .

the 250 is completely chrome with a Telyt 20cm 4.5, there seem to be a lens in the viewfinder

to give you a 200mm view .

On the top the serial number is nr137650 but on the body someone tried to scratch out a number that looks like 35- - 14 , if I look at serial numbers associated with chrome reporter's it should be between 352301and 352500 , so mine could be 352314 according to what s left of the middle .

My question to collectors out there is what to do with this camera for it to be a nice collectible?

Hi Guys,

I bought a 250 reporter last WE down here in Capetown South africa with 7 other cameras in a lot (am very exited)

on closer inspection and a careful clean( all the vulcanite s gone) , I discovered a few anomalies .

the 250 is completely chrome with a Telyt 20cm 4.5, there seem to be a lens in the viewfinder

to give you a 200mm view .

On the top the serial number is nr137650 but on the body someone tried to scratch out a number that looks like 35- - 14 , if I look at serial numbers associated with chrome reporter's it should be between 352301and 352500 , so mine could be 352314 according to what s left of the middle .

My question to collectors out there is what to do with this camera for it to be a nice collectible?

We need some picts about the subject to estimate the level of sicking

Welcome to the forum !!!

The feature that first strikes my eye is the lack of slow speeds dial - in theory all the 250s had it, apart the first 2 items (114.051 and 114.052) - and btw the 114.051 was later modified to FF specs - slow speeds included : it was shown here no much time ago : http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/218819-fontenelle-archives-91-leica-250-prototypes.html

I said "in theory" because SOME 250 with vulcanite-covered slow speeds dial indeed seem to exist (one appeared time ago at a dealer from San Francisco - USA), but the s/n of your item looks anyway "out of range".... first impression is that it can be a home made item, maybe assembled from some original parts.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thanks Luigi,

I also think this is a 1934 III mechanism and top cover in a 1940 reporter body, but why try to scratch out the body number , especialy that judging from the condition it was in when I got it , it's not something done recently .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And what's about the finder in itself ? You say there is a lens to enlarge the view for a 200 mm frame ? This sounds very strange to me... :confused: By the way, the lens looks like a standard Telyt 20 cm f 4,5... and of course it cannot be used that way on any Leica... it is made for the Visoflex (or better to say, the PLOOT, at those times) and wouldn't focus if mounted directly on a Leica body.

And what's about the finder in itself ? You say there is a lens to enlarge the view for a 200 mm frame ? This sounds very strange to me... :confused: By the way, the lens looks like a standard Telyt 20 cm f 4,5... and of course it cannot be used that way on any Leica... it is made for the Visoflex (or better to say, the PLOOT, at those times) and wouldn't focus if mounted directly on a Leica body.

May be there is a confusion with the range finder window :confused:

Perhaps instead of a PLOOT there is only missing a TZOON and a SFTOO to get a fine camera with the great capacity of 250 pictures for safaris at those times .

The lens enlarging the view for a 200mm frame would be very useful for shorter distance.

I hope it was not a part belonging to an African corps of WWII.

Military leicas often lost their serial-numbers for getting not recognized when sold on grey markets after the war.

so there is no way that lens could actually be used as it is mounted on that camera?

an interesting and odd piece.... what else was in the collection?:rolleyes:

-kodak retinette 1a

-graflex crown graphic special

-zeiss ikon contarex special

rolleiflex automat 1937

-linhof standard press

-topcon RE super , no lens

-asahi pentax spotmatic SP "motor drive" with motor ,grip, and high capacity film magazine

Perhaps instead of a PLOOT there is only missing a TZOON and a SFTOO to get a fine camera with the great capacity of 250 pictures for safaris at those times .

The lens enlarging the view for a 200mm frame would be very useful for shorter distance.

I hope it was not a part belonging to an African corps of WWII.

Military leicas often lost their serial-numbers for getting not recognized when sold on grey markets after the war.

I will have , maybe, more info this afternoon when i collect the developed film that was still in the Leica , will keep you posted .

the military story is interesting ! are they any records of where production was send to?

the rangefinder cover would have add some military markings ? and maybe the reason it was replaced ?

is there a way to know in what year the telyt nr 1256011 was produced , because in all logic if the camera was build with the 200mm in mind , it would not need the slow speed ?

-kodak retinette 1a

-graflex crown graphic special

-zeiss ikon contarex special

rolleiflex automat 1937

-linhof standard press

-topcon RE super , no lens

-asahi pentax spotmatic SP "motor drive" with motor ,grip, and high capacity film magazine

Yup... :) I like Contarexes and Linhof... ;) : can you be so kind to post a pair of pictures of these items, too ? The Special isn't common, and the Linhof Press is so strange that I even was on the point to buy one last year... :o

(forgive me, moderators... I know it's not strictly within the rules... but I see the impressive "Kaviar..." thread in the German Forum... )

No... to be precise, besides the reflex devices quoted above, one could also use a simple intermediate tube (TZOON) which was listed in those times.

Would using a tube give infinity focus? I just wonder if a 250 exposure camera with a 200mm infinity focused lens and modified viewfinder might be of use in aerial reconnaissance?

Would using a tube give infinity focus? I just wonder if a 250 exposure camera with a 200mm infinity focused lens and modified viewfinder might be of use in aerial reconnaissance?

Yes : indeed focusing at infinity is the typical usage of the TZOON tube, given that you have no way to check focus at shorter distances. Lager displays the picture of a Leica 250 with Telyt 20 + TZOON with the external viewfinder SFTOO. Aerial photography can surely be a field of application.