35mm F2 ASPH Vs 35mm F2 Version 4

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, Erato said:

Nay, I got it at around 3.2K EURO in the MINT condition.
A friend of mine spent a half-day side by side comparison between 28 Corn and Lux seriously and sent me around 16 photos for a closer look prior I placed the 35mm Lux order.

I'm more than happy to share his mail for your reference(attached). It is very grateful that he gave me a professional review and a honest opinion before I decided since he owned almost all the lenses from Leica.

With all those suggestions above, there's a chance that I might happen to sent you the wrong message due to my lack of knowledge, but at least that I am doing the same things as my friend in the U.K.(mentioned above) and see if I can help here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks so much for this post. I am sure that in 90% of the scenarios, both lenses compete with each other. I think where the Lux may shine is first at night, and second, but most importantly, for close range portraits. Not sure what the photos he sent you were of. 

7 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Does the silver one have better construction than the black one particularly of the front part, which has some plastic parts? I had the front of my black Summicron-35v4, which I bought in 1988 in Hong Kong, overhauled in Wetzlar in 2013, when the aperture setting didn't stay of the click-stops — for €525. Two years later, the click-stops were loose again, and it cost me another €250. Not a repair that I wanted to do at Wetzlar, but I was in Paris and was leaving for Thailand, and they had the lens back to me in a week.

There are no plastic parts anymore in 35/2 v4 copies made in Germany, including the chrome version AFAIK but i have no experience with the latter.

Edited by lct

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Does the silver one have better construction than the black one particularly of the front part, which has some plastic parts? I had the front of my black Summicron-35v4, which I bought in 1988 in Hong Kong, overhauled in Wetzlar in 2013, when the aperture setting didn't stay of the click-stops — for €525. Two years later, the click-stops were loose again, and it cost me another €250. Not a repair that I wanted to do at Wetzlar, but I was in Paris and was leaving for Thailand, and they had the lens back to me in a week.

1988?!!!!

I know exactly what I was doing while you were buying this lens in HK... I was drinking milk from my mother's breast!

Wasn't the plastic part an issue on the Canadian version only though ? The ones produced in Germany, if im correct, are rumoured to be more sturdy. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Steven said:

Thanks so much for this post. I am sure that in 90% of the scenarios, both lenses compete with each other. I think where the Lux may shine is first at night, and second, but most importantly, for close range portraits. Not sure what the photos he sent you were of. 

On 7/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, farnz said:

Having owned and used both the 50/1.4 Summilux asph and the 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph for portraits I would agree with LCT that the pre-asph is my recommendation.  The asph Summilux is a superb lens but quite 'harsh' for portraits.  

Ladies (and your bank manager) will thank you for choosing the pre-asph because of its smooth rendering that doesn't thrust every pock-mark, freckle, mole, upper lip hair, and skin pore at the viewer.  

On the other hand, if your thing is portraits of stubbled, hairy, hard-eyed rodeo riders with chiseled features then the Summilux asph would be the tool to use.

As a side note I would recommend the 75/1.4 Summilux or 80/1.4 Summilux-R ahead of both owing to the short telephoto focal length.

Pete.

FYR.

Guest Nowhereman
1 hour ago, lct said:

There are no plastic parts anymore in 35/2 v4 copies made in Germany, including the chrome version AFAIK but i have no experience with the latter.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Wasn't the plastic part an issue on the Canadian version only though ? The ones produced in Germany, if im correct, are rumoured to be more sturdy. 

Just went upstairs to check my (black) lens: it's made in Germany, but the aperture ring feels like plastic. In any case, the front part has had to be repaired twice.

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Just went upstairs to check my (black) lens: it's made in Germany, but the aperture ring feels like plastic. In any case, the front part has had to be repaired twice.

Do you live in paris, btw ? I’ve seen your photos from paris and that you bought lenses in paris 

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^ I spend two months a year in Paris and five months each in Washington, DC and Thailand. I'm stuck in the the States now, as Thailand is essentially closed: won't be able to get back there until end-February or even a couple of months later.

Edited by Nowhereman

If it helps, I have spent quite a lot of time with various 35's and I love the MkIV for me around F4, it has a sweet bokeh and a depth an colouring that is great and its small. I love my 2.8 summaron its is supersharp without being analytical and has real reportage look to it, really love it on the monochrom. Ofcourse the AA is king, for many reasons, it no way worth the price -  thats just collector mania, but it is nice. I am not a fan of the Siummicron ASPH. I had this lens twice and both times sold it, its mostly the messy bokeh and colouring I'm not so keen on

• Like 2