35mm F2 ASPH Vs 35mm F2 Version 4

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Do you guys think it makes sense to own a Lux fLE and a Cron ASPH (current), or does the FLE cover everything that the Cron can do ? Basically, at F2 and above, do they look different ? 

Funny you should ask. I’ve owned and enjoyed  the v.1 35 Summicron ASPH for many years.  But I recently decided to trade my hardly used 50 APO Summicron (I ended up preferring my 50 Summilux ASPH) for the 35 Summilux FLE.  It’s mostly overkill to have both 35’s, but I wanted the FLE for its wider aperture and to a lesser degree its different color rendering and less potential to flare or focus shift (my Summicron exhibits mild shift at f2.8 and f4, although it’s easily accommodated).  I also have a 35 Summaron f2.8, which provides another rendering and handling option.  Time will tell how these fit into my shooting and print workflow, currently with the M10 and M Monochrom.

You ask if that makes sense.  Well, it does for me, at least for now. And that’s all that matters. We each have different goals and preferences.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

More specifically he later clarified that it had nice and coherent out-of-focus blur at small apertures and middle distances, but sucked at wider apertures and close-in.

Mike’s online TOP site has various recounts on this topic as well as the background on the origins of the bokeh spelling.  Easy to do a general search or a search from TOP.

Jeff

Yep. 

Again that KOB thing? :D Bokeh is a subjective matter folks so for some people (including or not Mr Johnson) the 35/2 v4 is the king of bokeh and for others it is not. What can be said, objectively, is that some lenses show more or less details in the background than others. In that sense, if you prefer less details i.e. gaussian blur more or less, the 35/2 v4 is certainly not the way to go, but another lens like the CV 35/1.4 SC v2 for example could be the king.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steven said:

I have already tried both. I like them both. I have a slight preference for the v6, but the v4 is very vintage with its swirley bokeh. 

owning the Lux pre fle , I fear that the cron might not be very different at equivalent apertures... the v4 would be. But I don’t like it’s look and feel. therefore I hesitate. 

The 35 cron v4 is the lens that also ergonomically has gotten the most under my skin. To me this is THE M lens in use, small but still handy and just right. It should, however, be noted that it was also my first M lens since late nineties...😉

PS: And concerning design, my silver M6 with that silver v4 also looks very very very classical to me! Add a 12504 hood and you are there 😀

32 minutes ago, Stein K S said:

The 35 cron v4 is the lens that also ergonomically has gotten the most under my skin. To me this is THE M lens in use, small but still handy and just right. It should, however, be noted that it was also my first M lens since late nineties...😉

PS: And concerning design, my silver M6 with that silver v4 also looks very very very classical to me! Add a 12504 hood and you are there 😀

Picture please ! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Picture please ! 

Hi Steven

I did not have the M6 with me, so the M10 will have to do 😉

Taken with an iPad... Hope you get some impression!

Regards, 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looks awesome, I have never seen the v4 in silver. Do you happen to know the reference of the lens ? 

I found 11883 from a vintage shop in Finland yesterday and bought it on impulse. I was hesitating between the chrome and the titanium for my black M10R and I went from the chrome in the end. Hope I made the good choice. 

35/2 v4 # 11311

20 minutes ago, Steven said:

Gorgeous, although I would have loved to see this photo in colour ! 

Here you are.

Edited by Erato
Sorry for uploaded a wrong focus ref.
  • Like 2

28mm ASPH. is an investment-worthy and classical lens as well.

I choose 35mm IV because of its size, weight, ergonomic, color rendering, micro-contrast, dynamic range, and sharpness. And I love it, enjoy it. In the meanwhile, the bokeh is a plus to me.
If you found an item comes with the "MINT" condition, don't miss it.

Edited by Erato

19 minutes ago, Erato said:

28mm ASPH. is an investment-worthy and classical lens as well.

I choose 35mm IV because of its size, weight, ergonomic, color rendering, micro-contrast, dynamic range, and sharpness. And I love it, enjoy it. In the meanwhile, the bokeh is a plus to me.
If you found an item comes with the "MINT" condition, don't miss it.

It's the 28 lux im looking at, not the cron, so quite the opposite ergonomically from the 35 cron. 

But are you saying that 5000 is good deal for a mint silver cron v4?

38 minutes ago, Steven said:

It's the 28 lux im looking at, not the cron, so quite the opposite ergonomically from the 35 cron. 

But are you saying that 5000 is good deal for a mint silver cron v4?

Nay, I got it at around 3.2K EURO in the MINT condition.
A friend of mine spent a half-day side by side comparison between 28 Corn and Lux seriously and sent me around 16 photos for a closer look prior I placed the 35mm Lux order.

I'm more than happy to share his mail for your reference(attached). It is very grateful that he gave me a professional review and a honest opinion before I decided since he owned almost all the lenses from Leica.

With all those suggestions above, there's a chance that I might happen to sent you the wrong message due to my lack of knowledge, but at least that I am doing the same things as my friend in the U.K.(mentioned above) and see if I can help here.

Edited by Erato

Guest Nowhereman

Does the silver one have better construction than the black one particularly of the front part, which has some plastic parts? I had the front of my black Summicron-35v4, which I bought in 1988 in Hong Kong, overhauled in Wetzlar in 2013, when the aperture setting didn't stay of the click-stops — for €525. Two years later, the click-stops were loose again, and it cost me another €250. Not a repair that I wanted to do at Wetzlar, but I was in Paris and was leaving for Thailand, and they had the lens back to me in a week.