Jump to content

35mm F2 ASPH Vs 35mm F2 Version 4


Stealth3kpl
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will post some detailed comparisons of the 35 Summilux AA, the Cron MkIV and the 35mm Summilux ASPH, shortly

 

But... My 35 Summilux ASPH. was simply stunning in Venice, its a wonderful lens, that will be a keeper however good the AA is, a much underrated lens for the M9 IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 8 years later...
On 6/19/2012 at 12:21 AM, IWC Doppel said:

I will post some detailed comparisons of the 35 Summilux AA, the Cron MkIV and the 35mm Summilux ASPH, shortly

 

But... My 35 Summilux ASPH. was simply stunning in Venice, its a wonderful lens, that will be a keeper however good the AA is, a much underrated lens for the M9 IMO

What happened to the comparison ?! 😂😂😜😜

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey bokeh lovers. May I try to clear up what I understand to be a misconception about the “King of Bokeh”?  I understood from Mike Johnson’s old article in Photo Techniques (that I think first introduced the term and concept of “bokeh” to the English-speaking audience) that the magic of v 4 never was about it’s out of focus performance wide open. Its bokeh at f/2 or f/4 really isn’t that great. Rather, the magic happens further stopped down. At say, f/8, the transition between out of focus and focused is creamy, delectable, and truly something special. Oof areas hang together beautifully and seem of a piece with the truly detailed in-focus elements. I understood that it was this character that earned the v4 summicron its “king” moniker. Just sayin’. 
(Note too however that even Mr. Johnson has later said that the v4 isn’t the lens he would crown “king” nowadays.)

There. I feel better now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bcorton said:

Hey bokeh lovers. May I try to clear up what I understand to be a misconception about the “King of Bokeh”?  I understood from Mike Johnson’s old article in Photo Techniques (that I think first introduced the term and concept of “bokeh” to the English-speaking audience) that the magic of v 4 never was about it’s out of focus performance wide open. Its bokeh at f/2 or f/4 really isn’t that great. Rather, the magic happens further stopped down. At say, f/8, the transition between out of focus and focused is creamy, delectable, and truly something special. Oof areas hang together beautifully and seem of a piece with the truly detailed in-focus elements. I understood that it was this character that earned the v4 summicron its “king” moniker. Just sayin’. 
(Note too however that even Mr. Johnson has later said that the v4 isn’t the lens he would crown “king” nowadays.)

There. I feel better now. 

I had read that too, and fair enough, the v4 is not the king of bokeh. 

But the v4 still is an amazing lens. The eternal question: which should I get, the V4 or the V5/6? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Steven said:

I had read that too, and fair enough, the v4 is not the king of bokeh. 

But the v4 still is an amazing lens. The eternal question: which should I get, the V4 or the V5/6? 

Get V4 chrome version -- 11311.

You might change your thoughts if you look deeper.

Check my album and figure out the bokeh difference between the different apertures. When this lens stops down from f2 to f2.4, f2.8, f3.4, f4, f5.6, f6,8, or even f8, the bokeh alter dramatically alone with different distances.

The following photos demonstrated a good color and a bit silky effect at the back ground @f6,8.

 

 

Edited by Erato
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Steven said:

Its already difficult to find a black one, but a chrome one you say !

Here you are. Looks like ideal one but the price is outrages! The price is much higher from mine.

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/item/收藏級-LEICA-萊卡-SUMMICRON-M-35-2-35mm-F2-E39-德國-100807933335

Approximately 5,330 EURO.

Edited by Erato
adding more details for further ref.
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Erato said:

Here you are. Looks like ideal one but the price is outrages!

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/item/收藏級-LEICA-萊卡-SUMMICRON-M-35-2-35mm-F2-E39-德國-100807933335

Approximately 5,330 EURO.

 

link not working. better this way ! the black version at the Leica shop is 1900 right now. But its the Canadian version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Erato said:

Negotiate with the dealer, pay rental, loan these lenses for a week or two and then you can make the call.

I have already tried both. I like them both. I have a slight preference for the v6, but the v4 is very vintage with its swirley bokeh. 

owning the Lux pre fle , I fear that the cron might not be very different at equivalent apertures... the v4 would be. But I don’t like it’s look and feel. therefore I hesitate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

I have already tried both. I like them both. I have a slight preference for the v6, but the v4 is very vintage with its swirley bokeh. 

owning the Lux pre fle , I fear that the cron might not be very different at equivalent apertures... the v4 would be. But I don’t like it’s look and feel. therefore I hesitate. 

There're pros and cons for every and each lenses.

Follow your heart and pick the one you like the most.

What is the ideal lens? It could be the next lens, always. And, what would be the best lens at the moment? The lens already in your hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Steven said:

I had read that too, and fair enough, the v4 is not the king of bokeh. 

But the v4 still is an amazing lens. The eternal question: which should I get, the V4 or the V5/6? 

Hi Steven,

Please don't misunderstand me. I've had the v4 since 1997 -- just before the current bokeh train left the station -- and I love it.  And I do not object to its coronation as "king."   I was only trying to point out that many folks seem to think that bokeh is only what happens in a lens at full aperture, or near it, and default to comparing all lenses wide open.  In the case of the v4, I think that is misguided or misinformed, as what makes the bokeh of this lens special is the way the lens renders stopped down some.

Brent

Edited by bcorton
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bcorton said:

Hey bokeh lovers. May I try to clear up what I understand to be a misconception about the “King of Bokeh”?  I understood from Mike Johnson’s old article in Photo Techniques (that I think first introduced the term and concept of “bokeh” to the English-speaking audience) that the magic of v 4 never was about it’s out of focus performance wide open. Its bokeh at f/2 or f/4 really isn’t that great. Rather, the magic happens further stopped down. At say, f/8, the transition between out of focus and focused is creamy, delectable, and truly something special. Oof areas hang together beautifully and seem of a piece with the truly detailed in-focus elements. I understood that it was this character that earned the v4 summicron its “king” moniker. Just sayin’. 
(Note too however that even Mr. Johnson has later said that the v4 isn’t the lens he would crown “king” nowadays.)

There. I feel better now. 

More specifically he later clarified that it had nice and coherent out-of-focus blur at small apertures and middle distances, but sucked at wider apertures and close-in.

Mike’s online TOP site has various recounts on this topic as well as the background on the origins of the bokeh spelling.  Easy to do a general search or a search from TOP.

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...