35mm F2 ASPH Vs 35mm F2 Version 4

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought I'd take the opportunity to compare these 2 lenses to see if I could identify any differences in character. It's difficult to say anything regarding contrast as these are auto scans on a V700, and the images were processed with autocontrast in Photoshop. That said, I think the Asph is slightly sharper and has a creamier bokeh. The Asph seems to have a uniform bokeh whereas the V4 has a hint of a swirl (perhaps this is what people are referring to when they describe the V4 as having more character). There really is very little in it.

Pete

Asph:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 2

Version 4

• Like 4

Two more:

ASPH

V4

• Like 5

I had both for a month or so on my M8 and can support these comments to add a little

The asph is a tad sharper in the Center and definitely 'better' in the corners, the bokeh of the asph is a little smoother but I didn't find I preferred it. I didn't 'get' the king of bokeh of the IV to be honest. I heard stopping down to f4 brings out the best bokeh but on a 35 you won't have much !

I did find the asph 'pinker' in tone and preferred the IV for its colouring. The asph at f2 definitely has more contrast. BUT I did find a little more 3D with the IV and somehow was drawn to the IV rendering a little more.

If I was looking for a 35 Cron now I'd probably look at the IV ahead of the asph as I found the character overall a little more pleasing. They are very similar and first impression would lead you to pick the asph for its sharpness but after a while I somehow wasn't sure it was better for it.

I would happily live with either. I do prefer the pre FLE summilux to both not only for speed but rendering and bokeh. I tend to shoot wide open and have no focus issues at 1.4

• Like 2

Hi Pete and thanks for posting these and esp. for making a film-based comparison :D

I've been in two minds which 35 Summicron to get but I'm leaning towards the asph which I've understood is similar in rendering to the 50 Summilux Asph which I like a lot. I do like the slightly busier boke of v4 (and I have a 50 Summilux pre-Asph too) but in the images I have seen I prefer the Asph's rendering.

One interesting thing is that v4 appears to have a sharper and shorter area between out of focus and in focus, see the last two images you posted. It may be situational, of course, but if this is the case it is the opposite to how I perceive the two 50 Summiluxes I have.

cheers and thanks again

Philip

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had both for a month or so on my M8 and can support these comments to add a little

The asph is a tad sharper in the Center and definitely 'better' in the corners, the bokeh of the asph is a little smoother but I didn't find I preferred it. I didn't 'get' the king of bokeh of the IV to be honest. I heard stopping down to f4 brings out the best bokeh but on a 35 you won't have much !

I did find the asph 'pinker' in tone and preferred the IV for its colouring. The asph at f2 definitely has more contrast. BUT I did find a little more 3D with the IV and somehow was drawn to the IV rendering a little more.

If I was looking for a 35 Cron now I'd probably look at the IV ahead of the asph as I found the character overall a little more pleasing. They are very similar and first impression would lead you to pick the asph for its sharpness but after a while I somehow wasn't sure it was better for it.

I would happily live with either. I do prefer the pre FLE summilux to both not only for speed but rendering and bokeh. I tend to shoot wide open and have no focus issues at 1.4

I have both, I tend to use the asph for 'things' (architecture or lansdcape) and the v4 for people. I have no scientific (whatever that means) explanation, I just like the look.

I could live very happily with either.

.... H

I also have both and like the v4 rendition a lot. Just had it 6 bit coded and now it's easier for me since I can leave my camera on Auto Lens Detect.

Funny I actually just acquired the asph as a companion for my iv. It literally just arrived today so I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Funny I actually just acquired the asph as a companion for my iv. It literally just arrived today so I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Have fun with them both. It sure is nice that "testing" can last for years and years.

It's hard to make the comparison in this thread since you have a bunch of ASPH and then a bunch of pre-ASPH. So one cannot look side by side -- one has to scroll and then the differences are somewhat lost.

I've been tossing around the same question myself lately - ASPH or v4 - or just go for a Lux. Honestly, while I love the character of the v4, I don't know that I'd call it "King of Bokeh" necessarily. Can't go wrong with either lens, IMO. They're both lovely in their own way.

It's hard to make the comparison in this thread since you have a bunch of ASPH and then a bunch of pre-ASPH. So one cannot look side by side -- one has to scroll and then the differences are somewhat lost.

No. It's easy. Copy the address of the thread to another tab of your browser. Scroll down to the photo you'd like to compare on each tab, then flick from one tab to another to instantly compare. Alternatively, open two browser windows with the thread address (w w w.l-camera-forum/ etc) and compare simultaneously.

Pete

No. It's easy. Copy the address of the thread to another tab of your browser. Scroll down to the photo you'd like to compare on each tab, then flick from one tab to another to instantly compare. Alternatively, open two browser windows with the thread address (w w w.l-camera-forum/ etc) and compare simultaneously.

Yup, or right-click an image and open in a new tab as-needed and switch back and forth that way.

Alternatively if they'd been posted side by side to start with then no finger gymnastics would be needed.

A bit ungenerous given the time dedicated by the OP. Takes about 3sec to drag images to an iMac pasteboard, double-click and flick between the two in Preview.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had both and the differences were so marginal that I sold the coded asph for good money and spend a pittance to code my beautiful late v.4 which is soo much smaller and lighter that I have never looked back.

I am now looking for the old style round lens shade for it that came with v.3.

It is a great lens... I am sure it is inferior to the asph, but my eyesight makes the difference in the images above, and the ones I took, rather abysmal.

The 12504 shade is pricey due to its relative rarity. The vented 12535 shade works well (is marked for 35mm also) as well as the identical shade in plastic made for the 11819 50 Cron.

BTW I had an ASPH and V.4 and kept the latter. With me and Leica lenses, size matters :D. I also have my V.3 which I'm hard pressed to tell from the V.4 in IQ, and in my estimation the build-quality exceeds the later models.

• Like 1

The 12504 shade is pricey due to its relative rarity. The vented 12535 shade works well (is marked for 35mm also) as well as the identical shade in plastic made for the 11819 50 Cron.

BTW I had an ASPH and V.4 and kept the latter. With me and Leica lenses, size matters :D. I also have my V.3 which I'm hard pressed to tell from the V.4 in IQ, and in my estimation the build-quality exceeds the later models.

Thanks for the tip on the shade, which I have been looking for my my v.4 Summicron. I appreciate it. JB