question on this old style soft release

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can somebody tell me whether this below picture of the old style soft release found on ebay and fit my M8,2 or not?

And any idea how good or bad or it would be very appreciated, Big thanks.

Chounchai

(sorry to paste this photo from ebay source, if it brake the rule please let me know)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is the OZTNO release adapter. I have never tried it on my M9 (and I don't have an M8), but I have read that it does not work on that camera (apparently the release thread on the M9 does not allow the OZTNO to penetrate sufficiently to activate the release, but you will want to double-check by searching through previous threads on OZTNO).

I have an OZTNO - I bought it for my M2 without self-timer (M2X), so that I could attach the old-style self-timer APDOO. The combination works perfectly on the M2. However, already on my M6TTL (another camera without self-timer) OZTNO + APDOO only work sporadically, even after laborious attempts at calibration. So I am more than happy to keep it on my M2.

I have serious doubts about the usefulness of OZTNO as a soft-release. I personally think it would do more harm than good in that regard.

The other thing about OZTNO is: it's astronomically expensive. You might get a good deal at eBay. Good luck!

• Like 2

Thank you Jaapv and M9reno,

I get it, it cannot fit on M8 or either M9 without modification (this found after searching with word "OZTNO" over the internet).

And it seem not help for slow shutter as I thought thank again for fast and accurate information got from here.

Chounws from Thailand

• Like 1

The most practical use of OTZNO is:

a. Visoflex I for screw mount on a M-bayonet-camera. So you can fit the double cable release on your M

b. visoflex II for screw mount cameras: you can fit the cable release for schrew mount cameras on the Visoflex II.

yours sincerely

Thomas

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

The most practical use of OTZNO is:

a. Visoflex I for screw mount on a M-bayonet-camera. So you can fit the double cable release on your M

b. visoflex II for screw mount cameras: you can fit the cable release for schrew mount cameras on the Visoflex II.

yours sincerely

Thomas

Thomas

that's totally correct regarding "a."

see pic: this cable came with my visoflex setup & I presumed it was the one for M cameras but today as I was unscrewing it from my camera I realised that a part was still attached to the MP.

On closer inspection I realised it was an OZTNO adapter that had been attached (without my knowing) to the cable (OZWTO) for screwmount Leicas thus making it an M Leica cable.

Wow! now I can use the visoflex for both my M3, MP & now IIIf (have also been using it with my X-Pro 2) - very adaptable system IMHO

BTW the OZTNO works well as a soft release on both my M3 & MP

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My understanding is that these small devices were intended to allow older cable releases designed for LTM cameras to be used on M cameras.

I have one and it is nice in that it raises the shutter release. It has no evident effect as a "soft" release. I rarely use it. It fits my M2 and M3 - whether it can be used on recent digital cameras, I don't know.

As noted by several, the OZTNO ( first in 1955) is an adapter for using screw leica cables on M cameras, and not a soft release.  Laney quotes there were 3 different engravings. See above photo, top and bottom row are all marked Leitz and Germany, some are marked Wetzlar and some are not. In the center row middle is the late 14088 version with Leitz Wetzlar Germany in block not script lettering.

Middle row also shows the SOREI on the left.  This was a soft release marketed by E. Leitz New York from 1949 for screw cameras. It is spring loaded internally  Right center is the PROCU which is neither a soft release nor an adapter, but release collar button  shield, which may have given some stabalization of the finger pushing the shutter release, or helped prevent accidental shutter release. Again, a New York item.  Neither the SOREI or the PROCU have engravings.

• Like 4