New Firmware 1.092 thoughts/ Read instructions

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 1.092 update the magenta cast problem is less severe. In many pictures under tungsten lights no magenta cast is detected. The shutter noise is somewhat different. Now the camera works better.

What kind of stuff for M cameras is in the works? New M lenses?

How about the R line?

I think the M8 is a sales success. Am I wrong?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am I alone in feeling that the images from 1.092 have less character than the previous firmware ? They look too smooth, even at low ISO; I am starting to feel it looks like the plasticky 1Ds2.

Edmund

Just underexpose and push in processing, you can get all the noise you want and more...:)

Seriously, I have seen no difference in either firmware vis a vis noise. The noise floor does however challenge me to make perfect exposures to maximize the dynamic range available and lift as much of the shadows into the midtone as possible, then I later darken them. Really it depends on lighting contrast. If you shoot in a studio and have control over lighting, as a lot of noise comparisions show, then there really is not a problem. If you are out in the field shooting at 1250 to get a usable hand-holdable speed it is as it always is, bumping up against camera shake and available light limits. If you don't try to stretch the shadows, it is acceptable imo.

• 1 month later...
After 1.092 update the magenta cast problem is less severe. In many pictures under tungsten lights no magenta cast is detected. The shutter noise is somewhat different. Now the camera works better.

What kind of stuff for M cameras is in the works? New M lenses?

How about the R line?

I think the M8 is a sales success. Am I wrong?

i think that m8 it's fantastic object,but i don't like to must put ir filter to my M8....

you think that with a new firmware this problem (magenta and black) is it a definitve soluctions or we need ever put the filter....

it's a fantastic sensor, this is that i like...

5835324-md.jpg

but i think that magenta problems appear when ther is some suit o woven black and reflecting materials...

i make some test VS nikon sensor (lbcast 2hs, ccd d200,ccd D100,) and i see that in more condiction (whit more black in scene) there is no problem , but whit a little of black reflecting woven.....the results is no good....what do you think

shoot of M8 whit 75 summilux asph

5838571-md.jpg

thi is shoot of D2hs + 17-55 a 50mm

5811137-md.jpg

and in this shoot the shirt of my wife must be BLACK!! whit ir filter i resolve this problem?

5838563-md.jpg

Luca

i think that m8 it's fantastic object,but i don't like to must put ir filter to my M8....

you think that with a new firmware this problem (magenta and black) is it a definitve soluctions or we need ever put the filter....

it's a fantastic sensor, this is that i like...

but i think that magenta problems appear when ther is some suit o woven black and reflecting materials...

i make some test VS nikon sensor (lbcast 2hs, ccd d200,ccd D100,) and i see that in more condiction (whit more black in scene) there is no problem , but whit a little of black reflecting woven.....the results is no good....what do you think

Luca

Yes you need the filters to correct for the magenta. No firmware will correct it, only IR cut filters.

I agree, the protect button is a complete waste of time, I never use it. Trouble is, that word "Protect" is engraved into the casting so it's not going to be changed any time soon.

[ATTACH]28966[/ATTACH]

I disagree. When doing the first selection in-camera -especially when out somewhere without a laptop within easy reach - I mark all shots I want to keep with protect and then do a "delete all". Far quicker than deleting each and every shot I want to remove. It may be that it works the other way around for those that get more keepers than I do :( , but I really like the feature.

I agree on the red colour not being such a problem for most of my shots I prefer not to have the IR filter and to squeeze another couple of lumens out of my noctilux.

I would love to see a firmware solution where we could select in camera a colour to designate as black to compensate rather than a hardware fix (weird I know)

For the laundry list I would love to have the firmware make better use of the lovely scroll wheel.

One thing that would just be fantastic is if, in the playback mode, where clockwise movement of the scroll wheel is zoom in and anticlockwise is zoom out there were a change in function of the wheel at the point where you are fully zoomed out to thumbnail view which would be to move the focus from the current shot to earlier shots thus allowing for an extremely fast single handed review of the previous photos. Scrolling forward would then allow you to zoom in on the newly selected photo again and ending playback mode would jump you back to the last shot.

By allowing the scroll wheel to change functions at such natural transitions points you can make far more natural human interface possibilities that expend the functionality without further complexity the key is to only do it where there is compellign visual feedback.

As a developer of human interfaces (XING) and early work on pitching capacitance scroll wheel for the IPOD I have seen such very small a symetrical changes make for big jumps in usability and here there is no cost as currently winding the wheel counter clockwise more than three clicks produces no further input and you have to switch to buttons to do anything more and the wheel is a much better quality interface than the buttons for moving through large volumes of data.

In shooting mode being able to assign the scroll wheel to EV + / - , ISO +/- and or WB shift even without display feedback would be a boon and those that didn't like it would not have to turn the feature on.

I love my M8 and a few tiny firmware changes would make it just that much more useable!

Thanks

Bill

Flickr: Photos from Bill Liao

Yikes - 16 pages and counting! Hopefully someone is monitoring new additions here, now that things have diffused into talk about whether the M8 is a success, availability of lenses, etc. I haven't waded through all 16 pages...

On the original topic, I've noticed these bugs:

1) At times, when reviewing images in Play mode, if I rotate the zoom wheel very quickly, instead of zooming in, it jumps to thumbnail mode, and is frozen there. Lightly touching the shutter button cancels this, and I can then return to Play mode normally. I suppose it is possible that I am inadvertently also touching one of the arrow buttons as I rotate the wheel, but I don't think so. The fact that the camera freezes in thumbnail mode indicates to me the regardless of what I'm doing, this is not an intentional function.

2) Occasionally after making an exposure, if I chimp immediately I see the normal review display. After the review display "auto-shuts-off" itself, if I go into Play mode, that last image will not display. It's as if it's not written, but upon canceling Play mode with any button and waiting a few seconds more, the image is there. (Note: this is not happening because I am trying to view in Play mode while the image is still being written to the card. I'm allowing plenty of time after the "writing" LED is off before hitting Play.) Could be the buffer is still emptying, but the LED should really be calibrated to stay on until that function is complete.

Both problems are intermittent, and annoying rather than catastrophic. No other problems that I've noticed.

Tom