Improving the X1 (& X2) Macro Performance

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With my X2 I bought a B+W 10+ macro and attached it to my kiwi 49 adapter. Seems to work fine. Is there any benefit to use the set up here with the Leica Elpro over the 10+ macro ?

Depends on the quality of the B&W 10+ i.e. if it's an achromat ... or if it's a single element lens ... I am not familiar with the B&W 10+ . The Elpros are all highly corrected achromats .

dunk

Previous illustrations show the Elpro VIb c/u lenses used with the X1 via the Kiwi LA49X1 filter adaptor. Here's a larger size Elpro 2 in use via a 49mm to 55mm step up ring - again on the Kiwi LA49X1 filter adaptor. The Elpro 2 and the Elpro VIb are both 4.92 diopter achromats; the Elpro 2 has dual Series VI and 55mm male screw threads; the Elpro VIb has a Series VI thread. The Elpro 2 usually costs more than the Series VI Elpro lenses ... but the Elpro 2 is easier to adapt via the commonly available 49mm to 55mm step up ring ie no gluing required . The larger Elpro 1, 2 and 3 c/u lenses can also be stacked in the same way as the Series VI to provide higher magnifications.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Native highest magnification of the Leica X1's 24mm Elmarit ie without any c/u lenses, at a distance of 30cm is approximately 1/12 life size

One Elpro VIb or one Elpro 2: at 10cm distance enables mag 0.2 - that's 1/5 life size

Two Elpro V1b stacked together or two Elpro 2 stacked together : at 7cm distance enables mag 0.3 - that's 1/3 life size

Three Elpro VIb stacked together, or three Elpro 2 stacked together : at 4cm distance mag 0.4 - that's 2/5 life size

Surprisingly there is no vignetting when using three Elpro c/u lenses stacked together on the X1 … but there is some pin cushion distortion. Sharpness remains high.

EDIT: The Voigtlander viewfinder serves no purpose for close-up photography ... I forgot to remove it.

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

• 3 years later...

I know its a few years on now but can I just say - thanks so much for this thread. As a consequence of it I bought a kiwi tube (for three pounds!) , (x 2) elpro 2 and a ring. The ring hasn't arrived yet and only one of the elpro's has but from just messing around with it at home I can see that it is going to improve my enjoyment of my x2 massively! 

My big photographic interest is nature/flowers/macro/bugs and whilst I have dedicated gear for that-  I adore my new x2, so to improve its functionality in this respect (cheaply and retaining superb technical quality) is honestly, really wonderful for me. So thank you again. And I will be sure to share some of the pictures when the other bits arrive. 

Edited by jenniferx

I received my step up ring and additional elpro 2 today! I've taken some illustrative pics regarding their use that maybe someone would find helpful if this modification is of any interest. 

Stacked together there is definitely obvious pincushion distortion- these wooden blinds are straight in real life. 

L1400065_zpskxdxtedb.jpg

Corrected with a value of -14 in Adobe Camera Raw seems to do the job. 

L1400065-2_zpsopudimmi.jpg

And it's not scientifically measured by any stretch but I took some pics of a bottle of water to roughly provide a bit of perspective on the gains from the elpro's, for my own reference as much as anything else. The width of the purple lid is just a tiny bit over 3cm.

This first picture is the closest you can get with the x2 on its own. 

L1380046_zpsjdrgsbaq.jpg

And this is with a single elpro 2 added. Big leap up. 

L1380054_zpsikflnjzj.jpg

And finally with the second elpro 2 added on (this one was corrected for distortion, same figure as above -14) 

L1400045_zpsptur2t4a.jpg

For my own purposes I think the single elpro 2 will be sufficient for pretty much any close up's that I want to take out and about but it's nice to have the option of also going a little bit further if needs be. 

I'm still super pleased with this little set up and can't wait to use it properly. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello:
Although the thread is old, I think that in it I can expose my doubts:
I own Leica X2 and I want to make macros.
I also have Leica Elpro 2 and Raynox M-250 (depending on the photos)

Leica X2+Raynox M250:

Leica X2 + Elpro2:

Should I buy this adapter tube? ....:    https://www.ebay.es/itm/Adaptador-del-filtro-tubus-plata-metalico-49mm-para-Leica-X1-X2/292393912737?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

What do you advise about this lens? ..:      https://www.janvtstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=626810

Is this macro lens more powerful than the Pro2 and Raynox M250 ?. The +10, what does it mean? ...
Greetings and many thanks.

That is the correct type of adapter tube but it's cheaper elsewhere e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwifotos-KWC-X2S-2-Piece-Lens-Leica/dp/B00OVQMCKU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1550280517&sr=1-3&keywords=Leica+X2+filter+adapter

… and you'll also need a 49mm to 55mm step-up ring to fit the Elpro 2 which has a 55mm thread. The Elpro 2 is 4.92 diopters and is quite powerful and works well with the X2 lens. 

The Raynox 150 (4.8 diopters … almost same power as the Elpro 2) and Raynox 250 (8 diopters) will both fit the adapter tube via their spring-loaded clips - but are a tight fit. 

To understand more about supplementary close-up lenses' diopter powers/strengths you should consider searching online for detailed information or better still, consider acquiring a copy of 'Excellence in Photography - Applied LEICA Technique'  by Günter Osterloh which covers Leica R lenses and use of Leica R Elpro c/u lenses. 

Regarding   https://www.janvtstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=626810  … I'm not familiar with it and its actual diopter strength is not stated … "10x high definition ' could mean anything … see their other similar descriptions for other c/u lenses. I would not consider buying.

For additional magnification stack the Raynox 250 onto the Elpro 2 which will result in a combined diopter strength of 8 + 4.92 = 12.92 diopters … but will be more difficult to use than single c/u lenses.  

Consider acquiring secondhand Elpro 1 (2.51 diopters), Elpro 3 (1.66 diopters) and Elpro 4 (0.75 diopters) supplementary c/u lenses … each of which is likely much cheaper to buy than the c/u lens in your link  

Consider also acquiring a focusing rack or focusing slide for use on a tripod head … it will make focusing much easier.

Close-up photography is a big subject and available apparatus extensive. The above book pages 163-183 contains a good introduction.

dunk 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your extensive and accurate explanations. I take note of all this.

Focus frame refers to something like that? ..:   https://www.amazon.es/FOTOMATE-LP-02-200-enfoque-deslizante-tornillo/dp/B071Z8RJN7

Or this way?...:  https://www.amazon.es/SHOOT-Enfoque-Deslizante-Olympus-Tornillo/dp/B01NADH7AQ

I have made macros with compact cameras always stabilized, without tripods and at that moment.

How the photo and with Leica X7.
The insect landed on my finger and at that moment I took the picture...: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:
I already have some accessories to try to improve the performance of the Leica X2 macros.

Are these ... (Photo taken with my iPhone6):

Leica X2+Elpro2:

Leica X2+Elpro2+Raynox250:

Pictures examples:

X2:

X2+Elpro2:

X2+Elpro2+Raynox250:

13 hours ago, gbealnz said:

¿Con el Dopaco EVF2, o solo el LCD?
Gary

In this case and as quick examples I used the LCD screen.
Having EVF2 and on a sunny day it is better to use it, if I go out to make macros, I will always wear it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I just purchased an X2 and reading this thread made me purchase a 49-52mm adapter Leitz VLA And VLB. I collect watches and have an Instagram where I showcase photos of my collection. Hoping this will help because the close up focus on its own isn’t the best. The guy that sold me the camera had a kiwi filter adapter included. Hope this setup works! Thanks for the post 

EDIT: after reading through the thread it looks like everyone prefers the 49-55 adapter with the ELPRO 2. I already purchased the previous VLB setup on eBay. Hopefully it will still work well?

Edited by Andrejb