Thumbs up with a hotshoe in Leica AG's "Peter Ferreira" video

chalun823

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No damage to the flash whatever. But the point of my post is that the flash shoe is held by four 1.5 mm screws and nothing more. It is engineered for a flash, but if one goes and puts real strain on it, it is outside the design parameters.

It is designed for things like the SF58, a huge monster of a flash. Leica has endorsed the TU, as it's sold through LFI, and promoted through this Video. If there comes into being a TU that has a center post for flash, it will not provide TTL, and thus not be very useful for those who want to use a SF58/SF24D, but more like for those who use a PocketWizard like device, which are smaller than even the SF24D, and as seen in Leica's video, does not under normal use destroy the hot shoe bracket... unless you sit on it. ;)

P.S. Have you ever used a SF58? The strain on the hot shoe when rotating the flash head is enormous, especially if you forget to press the release button...

Edited by swamiji

Having seen the construction that would make me a tad nervous...:o

So you don't recommend using the SF58 on a M9? :eek:

Perhaps you should trade in your mock Hermes for a Real one?

Edited by swamiji

It is the other way around - the Hermes one is a shameless copy of mine.:o

Well, speak for yourself. Do you trust four little screws to resist the forces you say you put on them?

It is the other way around - the Hermes one is a shameless copy of mine.:o

Well, speak for yourself. Do you trust four little screws to resist the forces you say you put on them?

Ok, I agree, yours is the original! :D

Well, I have trusted these four little screws since my first M8, and I will continue to do so. If this was a major issue, then I would expect there to be many problems like this. But this is the first to my knowledge, and I have had no issues.

One other related question, how about the Flash shoe on the M7/MP or the M6 (TTL), how where they attached?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been talking about this with Tim Isaac, It might not be so hard to modify a TU for a flash trigger, like a PocketWizard or the such. The difficult thing would be to modify it for TTL.

We agree that it would be easier to modify a TU rather than fake that video, and Peter Ferreira is a fan of TU and lighting control. Tim Isaac has mentioned that he might contact Peter Ferreira, himself to see what he has done.

Hopefully I have convinced Mr. Isaac to revisit flash in some form for TU.

Hey - any idea how the mod could be done (for a flash trigger) ? still curious sorry...

Well apparently the retaining screw hole is directly over the flash connector. All you need to do is put an insulated wire through the hole, so it makes contact with the Pin on the flash above and the and the center contact below. However this will allow the TU to wiggle loose, to correct this you need to drill a hole in the TU in such a manor to allow a pin (or screw) to be placed in the retaining hole on the Hot shoe.

This of course will not allow for TTL, but for studio strobes you don't use TTL.

This is one of the ideas we talked about...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I sent you more tape. If you need some more let me know. Also let me know the conditions you are using it in and perhaps I can suggest a fix if it is an extreme environment. Send me a pm with the details.

Steve

Steve (above) sent extra tape when I dismounted the Thumbie for a flight to Leica NJ. Have used one continually other than that 3+ yrs - has yet to even loosen and in my opinion is a better design. Had a TU at 1st, kept catching on my jacket