? lotion for vulcanite

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have M2s, a M3 and M4 whose conditions are as new including the vulcanite. I am most concerned about the vulcanite cracking and chipping.

Has anyone used these products recommended on the Leica FAQ and would it preserve the condition to any significant extent?

Leica FAQ — Vulcanite

Specifically, Mother's and Zymol products are readily available.

I have M2s, a M3 and M4 whose conditions are as new including the vulcanite. I am most concerned about the vulcanite cracking and chipping.

Has anyone used these products recommended on the Leica FAQ and would it preserve the condition to any significant extent?

Leica FAQ — Vulcanite

Specifically, Mother's and Zymol products are readily available.

In my most humble opinion, those remedies are utter hogwash. First, the truth is that none of them 'restore' so-called rubber, vulcanized or not, vinyl or anything at all except perhaps in appearance. Second, most are slippery as hell which contraindicates use on a camera body.

• Like 2

If you're concerned about chipping vulcanite decreasing camera value, then it's best not to use 40+ year old vulcanite covered cameras. If you're just concerned about the appearance when chipping does occur, then liquid electrical tape or other such products will do quite well seamlessly patching up small chips.