Lumix batteries for D-Lux 3

HpS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone experience of using Lumix branded comparable batteries instead of Leica on the D-Lux 3 or on any other Leica models?

I am assuming they would be compatible, and/or does someone have some suggestions please are.

When I bought my D-Lux 3 in February 2008, my friendly (and very knowledgeable) dealer suggested I should buy a Ricoh battery (DB-60) instead of a Leica original at twice the price. I did, and kept using it alternately with the original battery that came with the camera. No problems.

Then, in April 2009, I sold my D-Lux 3 and then bought the D-Lux 4 from the same dealer. When selling the DL 3, I obviously had to include its original battery, but I kept the Ricoh one, and went on using it alternately with the new original for the DL 4.

Now it´s 2012, and still no problems; I haven´t actually measured the capacity of either battery, but I´m not aware of any practical differences; I just don´t care which one happens to be in the camera when I go out shooting.

I have no immediate plans to upgrade the DL 4 (I´ve bought an M9 since...), so I have no idea whether the Ricoh battery would work with the DL 5 too, or if Panasonic´s foul practice of chipping their batteries have spilled over to Leica. But both the DL 3 and DL 4 are OK.