Fuji EF20 (sunpak 2000) on Leica M6?

Jaimiepeeters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys

I own a Fuji X100 with a Fuji EF20 (relabled Sunpak 2000 RD). Since I don't own a flash for my Leica M6, I was wondering if the EF20 would work on the M6?

A few minutes ago I took some test shots and it does fire. The tests I did were on S1/50 f8, f11 and f16.

Before I see the results of the developement, maybe somebody can give me some information on how to use this flash on an M6 and why it would or wouldn't work as it should.

The M6 isn't TTL. Unless you mean the M6TTL camera body. The Fuji flash is TTL dedicated to Fuji cameras. You'll have very little control of output. I don't think there are any auto or manual settings with the Fuji flash. Do you have a flash meter?

If the Sekonic is flash capable, then you can test which aperture will give you proper exposure at a given distance. But it will be kind of cumbersome to use since you'll really need to measure pretty much each time (e.g., when you change the distance from your subject, etc..) I suppose you could measure for various distances and aperture combinations and keep a chart handy.

You can pick up a basic flash with auto and manual settings for not a lot of money (Metz, Sunpack, etc..)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok

I tested the EF20 on the Leica M6 by doing the following

1. placing the EF20 on the M6

2. not changing the settings on the EF20, so it's on normal level flash

3. set the M6 to S1/50

4. set the F to 8, 11 and 16 (3 shots of each subject)

5. I used a Tmax 100 film

6. developed it in Tmax Pro dev for 7 min.

7. stopbath S10 for 1 minute

8. Tmax Pro fixer for 4 minutes

results:

completely blank film

I would imagine the flash is ttl, so it would be expecting to interact with the camera. A ttl flash will only work with the camera its programmed to. If there is a switch on the flash to turn it to 'auto' instead of ttl then what you are trying to test should work, as it does with my M6ttl and Nikon. SB27 flash

Gerry

results:

completely blank film

The film was unexposed or severely underexposed. Did the flash fire? If it outputted light then did you measure with your flash meter (assuming the Sekonic you have can measure flash) for the proper aperture?

Do you know what the GN is of the flash? I assume it's fairly low like 6 meters or so. You can figure out the aperture you need with ISO 100 film (which is what a GN is calculated for) using this simple calculation:

GN = distance x f/

With ISO 400 film you just make up the difference and set the aperture accordingly. If the flash is giving out light, then at whatever the guide number of the flash is, you'll get the right exposure using that f/stop. The GN should be in the owner's manual somewhere or look it up online.

The film was unexposed or severely underexposed. Did the flash fire? If it outputted light then did you measure with your flash meter (assuming the Sekonic you have can measure flash) for the proper aperture?

Do you know what the GN is of the flash? I assume it's fairly low like 6 meters or so. You can figure out the aperture you need with ISO 100 film (which is what a GN is calculated for) using this simple calculation:

GN = distance x f/

With ISO 400 film you just make up the difference and set the aperture accordingly. If the flash is giving out light, then at whatever the guide number of the flash is, you'll get the right exposure using that f/stop. The GN should be in the owner's manual somewhere or look it up online.

the GN of the Flash is 20 so yes 6 meters I guess. I metered with Sekonic iso100 S1/50 F9

The flash did fire yes.