X1... Could be an EVF possible?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I been thinking about getting an M8 and keep saving money for a lens, or to get an X1 now that prices of used ones has become more reasonable... But my main question is regarding the optical finder... Basically therr is no way to know what the camera is focusing, so considering it is a digital machine is there a possibility Leica (Panasonic) could make an electronic finder for it?? Just wondering. Regards, Ricardo

When using the X1's optical finder, you can see a green LED in your periferal vision when the camera has focused. I don't think an EVF would add much to the X1.

There is no way that one could be added to the X1.

So the green light indicates when the camera has focused, but not "where", I guess as long as the focusing point is right on the center I think would be fine. Thanks for your reply Andy :))

• Like 1

Agreed. I was bowled over by the sensational OVF/EVF of the Fuji x100 (though I disliked other user interfaces on that camera) and worried when moving over to the X1 with its ridiculously basic OVF that it would be hit and miss in comparison.

I shouldn't have been concerned; it's so naturally intuitive where you focus (ie in the middle of the frame - save for a predictable vertical adjustment for the framelines for close subjects) that I barely miss a sharp shot. It's actually quite nice not having an overlay akin to a small computer screen in your vision. There's nothing to distract and concentrates the mind on composition. A case perhaps of less is more.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When using the X1's optical finder, you can see a green LED in your periferal vision when the camera has focused. I don't think an EVF would add much to the X1.

There is no way that one could be added to the X1.

The OVF doesn't add anything . I toyed with one for a few weeks earlier this year. I ended up selling it for a modest loss. To me it adds nothing and detracts from the camera. Others may have a different opinion.

Unfortunately, in bright sunlight, the LCD of the X1 is practically useless. That is really when the OVF becomes essential. The camera is also more stable when held aginst the face looking through the OVF rather than holding it out at arm's length.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, in bright sunlight, the LCD of the X1 is practically useless. That is really when the OVF becomes essential. The camera is also more stable when held aginst the face looking through the OVF rather than holding it out at arm's length.

I found in my limited usage of the OVF that I was missing 'the edges' as much as without the OVF in sunlight.

Agreed