Visoflex + 65mm + M8

hankg

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know i am sitting on a DMR with the beautiful 180 f2 summicron that honestly nothing can touch in this focal length but if i can get something like this cheap that i can get a small part shot than it is perfect for me. I don't do a lot of heavy macro work anyway and one reason i sold my 100 apo. Plus this will be fun to have around to play with.

really this is the DSLR arena, but it is fun to try something different.

BTW thanks and a fun thread. The alternative M8 is what we should have called it. LOL

Guy - I always considered my Visoflex a poor man's SLR. Having said that I tend to use several of the Leica lens heads (in a Visoflex mounting) and a Cameraquest adapter on my Nikon DSLR. The trick is to pay close attention to the chart another forum user supplied because not all M lenses will focus to infinity on the Visoflex...only specific lenses (or lens heads) in the proper adapters. I'm sure you'll enjoy using the setup with the M8...the ultra close-ups or macros can become addictive.

Just as a very first information, the Visoflex III-system (copyright by Leitz/Leica, posted just for private historical research in THIS forum - no other use permitted). Sorry it´s in german language.

For the macro-fans: You need the black printed extensions (in the graphics between Viso and lenses) to get the near-distances which had been printed in thin letters in the datas.

The fat printed letters are the datas of the standard-distances. You need the light printed extensions (like 16 469/16464/16462/16466 etc.) to attach and focus the lenses. An M-bellow II (with an lens-individual adapter-ring) is also possible instead. If you like, i could maybe also post this bellow-system-overview later.

The PDF-version is larger for your private prints.

Visoflex_3_System.pdf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Just as a very first information, the Visoflex III-system (copyright by Leitz/Leica, posted just for private historical research in THIS forum - no other use permitted). Sorry it´s in german language.

For the macro-fans: You need the black printed extensions (in the graphics between Viso and lenses) to get the near-distances which had been printed in thin letters in the datas.

The fat printed letters are the datas of the standard-distances. You need the light printed extensions (like 16 469/16464/16462/16466 etc.) to attach and focus the lenses. An M-bellow II (with an lens-individual adapter-ring) is also possible instead. If you like, i could maybe also post this bellow-system-overview later.

The PDF-version is larger for your private prints.

This is the chart I referred to in post #16. The nearly identical English language version has been reproduced in a number of books.

Tom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gary Elshaw has 2 pdf's you can download with pretty complete info on the Visoflex here: Gary Elshaw's site

Guy, another thing to consider is the fact that the 90 degree finder makes mounting an RF sender to fire your strobes impossible. Looking at this pic:

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/8305-m8-visoflex-tri-elmar.html?highlight=M8+Visoflex#post80739

there might be room for a hot shoe to pc adapter. Can someone give the amount of clearance? Otherwise you will need the 5x OTVXO/16461 finder.

I've got a Black 65mm, OTVXO finder and Viso III on the way to me from various sources, so in a in a week or so I'll be making my first contributions to the Visoflex III M8 sub forum :) For those of us to pig-headed to use the proper tool for product/macro work (DSLR), in the studio - on a tripod I think the Viso/65 is a cheaper and easier to use solution then the 90/4 MACRO.

If the the Viso rig winds up being a keeper I'll see if Brightscreen can make up a brightscreen with proper crops.

Well, just for the fun, because it's not quite easy to handle, only about 25cm (10inch) room to subject and not much DOF (as with macro photography) :)

APO-Summicron 90mm on a Visoflex II with vertical 5x viewer

and here a quick shot done with it:

@ f/16

Hi Hank,

There is actually no front element. The lens itself can be mounted either directly on this focusing mount, or directly on the bellows with the adapter ring #16558.

You may also use the Visoflex II with the M8, but only with a vertical magnifier then.

Not correct. All the finders of the Viso II and III are cross-compatible. The M5, M6TTL, M7 and M8 have tops that are too tall for the original Viso II prism finder, but the Viso III prism fits perfectly. Still, the III is best for a motorized camera.

The dear old OTZFO/16471 universal focusing mount bayonets directly into the front of the Viso II or III, while the Elmar (really only a lens head without focusing mount) screws into the focusing mount. You will be able to focus down to 33 cm and an 8 x 12 cm subject field. An extension ring OTRPO/16471 will take you down to 27 cm and 4 x 6 cm. The lens heads of many early 90 mm lenses (late 4 element and also 3-element Elmars, and the original 90 mm Elmarit which I prefer) and the 135 mm Tele-Elmar can also be used successfully. The Elmarit is so good that it is now also one of my general-use lenses on the M8!

Further notes: You will have to adjust the gap between the Viso arm and the shutter release of the camera so that you get a delay long enough to a) get the mirror out of the way, and B) to allow for auto metering. With an M8 this is of course a cinch. Second, you will have to mask the finder screen in order to control composing. The screen does however show a true 1:1 finder image, so it is easy to measure and cut out a finder mask of 3/4ths size that can be press-fit into the screen frame and which is held in place by the finder prism or 'chimney'.

Remains only to be said that the 2nd version black chromed 65 mm Elmar-V is optically superior to the early bright-chromed version. It is also more expensive ..

The old man from the Age of Extension Rings

P.S As I post this I see that the classical system diagram has been posted here, and it says much of what I wrote above.

... I'm pretty sure they had a 280 also.

The last version of the 280mm f/4.8 could be unscrewed from the focusing helix and fitted to the Televit rapid-focus grip with adapter 14138. I used this rig for a year or so (with an R version of the Televit). I liked the quick focus, but after using a 280 APO I doubt you'd be satisfied with the image quality. I have a 14138 available if anyone is interested.

Hi Hank,

The lens as shown with the head and 16464 is ready to attach? How does the 16471 piece fit into the picture?
The 16471 is a macro ring extension only.

It screw (like the lens part) on focusing mount 16464.

In this ring extension, and/or focusing mount, you may also screw in other lens heads like the Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 or Tele-Elmar 135mm

Hi Hank,

The 16471 is a macro ring extension only.

It screw (like the lens part) on focusing mount 16464.

In this ring extension, and/or focusing mount, you may also screw in other lens heads like the Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 or Tele-Elmar 135mm

Thanks Philippe, can the 90 and 135 be mounted on the 16464 without the 16471?

As i wrote in my posting above:

You need the black printed extensions (in the graphics between Viso and lenses) to get the near-distances which had been printed in thin letters in the datas. 16464 is the OTZFO focussing-unit and 16471 is a macro-extension-tube.

Why does the chart show 2 adapters for the 65mm (16464 + 16471). Whenever I have seen the black 65mm it has been with the 16464 adapter as in this completed auction:

Leica f. Visoflex 3,5/65mm Elmar +16464

The lens as shown with the head and 16464 is ready to attach? How does the 16471 piece fit into the picture?

Why does the chart show 2 adapters for the 65mm (16464 + 16471). Whenever I have seen the black 65mm it has been with the 16464 adapter as in this completed auction:

Leica f. Visoflex 3,5/65mm Elmar +16464

Hank, this is an extension ring that fits between the Elmar and the focusing mount and used for closer focusing (down to 1.66 X).

The insufferable old man from the Age of Extension Rings

Thanks Philippe, can the 90 and 135 be mounted on the 16464 without the 16471?

Hank, both the 90 mm lenses and the 135 Tele-Elmar screwed directly into the focusing mount (in the case of the 135 not too elegantly, because the outer thread for its own focusing mount shows). The older 135 mm f:4 Elmar of 1960––64 (NOT the 1930's 4.5 Elmar, or the Hektor) could also be used, but this was not a tele design and its greater construction length meant that another extension ring had to be fitted so that the thing could be focused at infinity.

Here's another possibility: with an OUBIO/16466 ring, made to compensate for the smaller depth of the Viso II when using Viso I lenses with it, you can also use enlarging lenses as fixfocus optics, as the Oubio has a rear bayonet and a front M39 thread. 90 mm Nikon lenses work fine.

The old man from the Age of Enlarging

Guest guy_mancuso

This is great stuff . I'm reading and printing all of this. So looks like a vertical finder maybe needto do flash work, does not seem like a lot of clearance for the right angle finderand top of hot shoe for a PC atttachment. Now the PC outlet is becoming more important

Lars,

which outer thread? You simply need the right equipment:D

cheers,

Ron

(in the case of the 135 not too elegantly, because the outer thread for its own focusing mount shows)

• Like 1