Visoflex + 65mm + M8

hankg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, Guy's thread on macro or "things you should not be contmplating doing with your M" got me thinking. Which is always dangerous. Has anyone mounted a Visoflex II or III with the 65mm elmar on their M8?

Care to expound on the differences between Visoflex models, adapters required vis-a-vis and dedicated Viso lenses for the M8? Any sample pics?

Hi Friends

Took my Viso III and the 65mm Elmar (Wetzlar) and took a shot. Quick and dirthy - but the result was very sharp and clear! Even without any manipulation in CS2!

The File is about 60MB tif and I don't think I can upload it without damaging the forum's server ... :o

Michael

Hi Guy,

I would really just love to see this system setup and maybe a shot or two with it
Here a setup with Visoflex III, Elmar 65mm on focusing mount #16464 and UVa filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Have a look at the same lens mounted on bellows here

I can't show any shot taken with it here, sorry, but this lens is excellent, as usual. ;)

How about a reduced size jpeg? and a shot of the Visoflex rig. Do you need an adapter for the lens?

Philippe, we must have been typing at the same time. You can remove the front element to mount on a bellows? Is quality equal bellows or lens barrel?

Hi Hank,

You can remove the front element to mount on a bellows? Is quality equal bellows or lens barrel?
There is actually no front element. The lens itself can be mounted either directly on this focusing mount, or directly on the bellows with the adapter ring #16558.

You may also use the Visoflex II with the M8, but only with a vertical magnifier then.

Guest guy_mancuso

Damn this looks like fun i want one. So you want a Visoflex 111 now can you use a normal M lens or do you have to get a Visoflex one. Sorry these are dumb questions

Guest Arias

The 65mm Elmar is the only lens specially designed for the Visoflex. In principle you can attach any M-lens to the Viso but with a focal length under 65 mm it isn't possible to focus up to infinity. So you'll have to use telephoto lenses, in fact those with detachable lens head as are 2,8/90, 4/135, 2,8/135 for example. Furthermore the lens heads have to be fixed to the Viso with special adapter-rings.

Fairly complicated but it's really fun to play around with that "machinery".

Greetings

Herbert

Damn this looks like fun i want one. So you want a Visoflex 111 now can you use a normal M lens or do you have to get a Visoflex one. Sorry these are dumb questions

You can use nearly any M or screw mount lens on the Visoflex. But keep in mind that the Visoflex itself is about an inch thick and acts like an extension tube. A 50mm lens, focused at infinity, will provide a ratio of about 1:2. The shortest lens that will focus at infinity on the Viso is the 65mm Elmar, which requires the 16464K focusing mount. Its close focusing ratio is about 1:2. This mount will also accept the lens elements from the old 90mm Elmarit. You can attach a bellows for closer ratios or for mounting the elements of other lenses such as the 90mm Summicron, the 135mm Elmar and the 200mm Telyt.

I still have all of the above which I purchased in the early 1960s. If you need information about any of these items, pictures (of or with the above) or you need to borrow any of it, let me know.

Dale

Before I had mySL2 mot, I would use the Visoflex II with the 400 and 560 5.6 Telyts with the Televit focusing devise (in M mount)......everything worked fine.....that was with an M4,,,,I'm guessing that the M8 should be the same......by the way, I'm pretty sure they had a 280 also,,,the old catalogs are always good to have as they show all the adapters, etc.....the late 60' early 70's catalogs were very detailed.......if you can find them they are worth the purchase if you want to become more knowledgeable.....

Guy,

There is a flow-chart showing the various visoflex configurations, adapters (with the codes!!!), and lenses that has been published in a number of Leica books.

Tom

The 65mm Elmar is the only lens specially designed for the Visoflex. In principle you can attach any M-lens to the Viso but with a focal length under 65 mm it isn't possible to focus up to infinity. So you'll have to use telephoto lenses, in fact those with detachable lens head as are 2,8/90, 4/135, 2,8/135 for example. Furthermore the lens heads have to be fixed to the Viso with special adapter-rings.

Fairly complicated but it's really fun to play around with that "machinery".

Greetings

Herbert

There are also several long focus lenses designed for the visoflexes. These are 180, 200, 280, 400, and 560mm. Some of these FL were made in more than one version, some with different maximum apertures. The 65mm Elmar is the shortest focal length Leica V lens that will focus on infinity on a viso. With a LTM adapter one can use many enlarging lenses!!! There are also some specialized macro anastigmats in barrel mount, e.g., Zeiss Luminars, Leitz Photars, Nikon Macro-Nikkors, that can be adapted if not already in LTM.

Tom

Guest guy_mancuso

This looks like fun , now i will start looking for the Visoflex III . I have a 90 apo and a 75mm lux or if I can find a 65mm that maybe the best. If it acts like a extension tube than really that is about as close as i need. Might be fun to try some long glass on this. i like to play around with alternate stuff.

Guest guy_mancuso

I think I found one at my dealers site a Visoflex III with finder for 275.00 That seems pretty good. i sent him a e-mail to hook me up. Now were having fun. LOL

I think I found one at my dealers site a Visoflex III with finder for 275.00 That seems pretty good. i sent him a e-mail to hook me up. Now were having fun. LOL

Guy,

Welcome to the club! These are fun to play with but not a real replacement for a dSLR.

Tom