a wall and a window and a model

satureyes

Congrats! You've put your M9 to a use not normally seen here from this camera. Your model, lighting, pp, hair and make-up styling are all top-notch commercial quality. A question, if I may: How did you achieve the ring of lights in her eyes? Very nice!

Larry

• Like 1

Hi Larry,

Wow! Thanks for the compliments :-)

I was doing a little experiment. Before I reveal what was used in post etc I'd like to see what other forumites think.

Just for the record though I also had my Canon 1d4 with me. I knew the model and she was happy for me to experiment so I could take my time and get some decent M9 usage on her :-)

More details later though. Thanks again for the feedback.

Rick

Rick -

Beautiful. I assumed the "blemishes" Michael cites are part of her intended make-up.

I wonder- is he referring to the silver jewels on the side of her face - or the rouge on the right hand side (as in our right not models right)

She was very real - not a doll!

That would be weird to shoot photos of a doll no?

-Just wondering when we get the update of what you did in post? :)

Larry

Right now :)

So - Here's the setup..

A small bedroom - large window on one side, small white wall on the other, pretty much a square room.

model facing the window - with a teeny bit of light from a desk lamp on the right although it wasn't real doing much but gave a little warmth.

That was all there was when I took the shot- M9 and the 75mm, semi-naked girl and a flower.

So.. in post. All done in aperture with plugins and Aperture controls.

slight upping of exposure

no sharpening

reduced the highlights slightly

upped the shadows a little

teeny bit of curves

teeny bit of contrast.

Now..then I

changed her eye colour

whitened the eyes

smooth her skin (she had terrible pitted skin)

replace her skin with a textured skin

added the ring lights (perhaps should have added something more subtle but hey!)

smoothed the hair

extended the neck a touch

So basically- pretty much a lot of post work..

So - Here's the setup..

A small bedroom - .................. ................... ........................ ..................... ...... ... ..

So basically- pretty much a lot of post work..

You can't really blame me could you after all that ..... :)

Well.. Have to say there wasn't a massive difference after post on either files. The m9 had some more latitude with the shadows perhaps- and somewhat sharper.

This was more about me wanting to put myself In a situation with minimal resources and seeing what I could come up with. For most of the shoot I was on the m9. I found myself having to faff with strobes when I used the Canon.

Essentially I'm on a quest to rid myself of canon kit and be a sole Leica shooter so I'm trying out various real world situations with the Leica gear and the DSLR in the bag

Hope this makes sense!