NEX-7 + Summicron

Washington

Interesting: Im looking for a "small high quality" camera to have beside my Leica x1 (of which I'm a satisfied user) for when I need a medium tele lens. The Next 7 + leica 50mm (75 equivalent) could be a candidate. Just curious how do you find manual focusing and how is the shutter sound? Thanks

robert

PS: but than my m7 will be very jealous...:)

I see that kdiceman has already answered this question - and I concur with everything that he says. Focus peaking is very effective and, in my opinion, just as easy (if not sometimes easier) than focusing a rangefinder. Perhaps for wide open apertures and very close distances one may want to fine tune the focus achieved with peaking but 90+ percent of the time focus peaking by itself is all that is necessary. My M9 has been feeling kind of lonely lately!

This was taken handheld with the Nex 7 and a 90mm Tele-Elmarit at f/8, 1/200 ISO 6400 (and at near minimum focus distance of just over a meter) using the Anti-Motion Blur setting which bumps the ISO and takes multiple shots at a high shutter speed. Then it stacks the images so the random noise cancels out. The output is unfortunately only jpeg, but still it is pretty amazing to get an image like this in such low light. This image has had no crop or post processing, it is just straight out of the camera. It could be done with an M9 and Photoshop, but max ISO on the M9 is 2500 so the shutter speed won't be so high in the same light and instead of the 10 fps that the Nex shoots at you would have 2.5 fps, so at really low light you won't get the same anti-motion blur performance.

This is not what i got the camera for and normally I'm not a fan of the on-board image processing, but this can come in very handy in some situations. It is a very versatile camera with very good IQ.

If you want to download the full image, it is here: http://www.kenrphotos.com/lilynex7

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by kdriceman
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, actually the camera to get for M lenses is an M9....:rolleyes:

Since the subject was the NEX-7, I was referring to the thread subject. Of course the M9 is the best, but in this world of what's new I was questioning if this is the camera of the month or at least the camera to have ( in addition to the M9) at least through May 9th.

Why comparing Nex or other crop cams to the M9? Why not to the S2 while we are at that? Only competition will come from the next EVIL Leica. Not sure if it will be cleaner at high isos but it will be out of reach as far as using M lenses or it will be dead as soon as born.

The GXR with m-mount module is the only flawless performer with m-mount lenses. Neither mft nor Sony's NEX are.

Aha! And what makes you think that?

I am sure that you had the chance to compare all those cams before boldly stating this generalization.

Since the subject was the NEX-7, I was referring to the thread subject. Of course the M9 is the best, but in this world of what's new I was questioning if this is the camera of the month or at least the camera to have ( in addition to the M9) at least through May 9th.

Yes- but we have seen a whole parade of one-day wonders through this forum. Panasonic G, Olympus Pen, Fuji, Sony, Ricoh, I'm sure I am forgetting a few. Each and every one of them was perfect, image quality as good or better as the M8 / M9, much better liveview, video, smile recognition, what have you, each and every of them cheap miracle replacements or backups. Forgive me if I have grown a bit sceptical...:rolleyes:

Edited by jaapv

Yes- but we have seen a whole parade of one-day wonders through this forum. Panasonic G, Olympus Pen, Fuji, Sony, Ricoh, I'm sure I am forgetting a few. Each and every one of them was perfect, image quality as good or better as the M8 / M9, much better liveview, video, smile recognition, what have you, each and every of them cheap miracle replacements or backups. Forgive me if I have grown a bit sceptical...:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm hopeful that they will all be outdone soon my the masters themselves, Leica. Trouble is, many can spend $1-2k for a body to "play" with that takes M lenses, while waiting for whatever Leica will introduce at some point this year.

Just for the record I recently bought a backup for my M9, another M9.

I am sure that you had the chance to compare all those cams before boldly stating this generalization.

As are surely all GXR M mount users :D

Though to be fair it is tough to get your hands on all of them together without shelling out. In fact last time I had a GXR with M glass next to my NEX5n and M9 was at a meet full of a bunch of other photo nuts and even then it was lucky.

I only use SLR glass on my Nex 5N, as I find it horrid for M glass next to the M9. But the far more expensive total cost GXR+A12+EVF is pretty damn blah too; infact there is NOTHING to it that justifies its $200+ combo price premium.

The Nex 5N out resolves the A12 mount easily, the fabled AA filter on the Nex 5N it isn't doing its job as it gets moire and is just as sharp at full resolution as my M9. Also unlike the A12 it does not need profiles to control color cast. The reason I prefer the M9 is Rangefinding and better color and microcontrast. The GXR is ever so slightly better than the 5N in color, but not in that magical pop the M9 has. Even the X100 seems better, though I've not compared RAWs with the Fuji yet.

Except for Nex 5N and NEX7 the answer is: Yes, I have, including the first generation Nex5.

There are plenty of files to download and compare available from the web showing the two Nex' inferior edge and corner performance with wide lenses as compared to the GXR. And particularly the NEX 7 shows pronounced color shift. The Nex 5N's files with m-lenses look pretty good, but come in as a clear second in any direct comparison with the GXR. Reviews with direct comparisons where this is evident are, among others, e.g. Sean Reid's review (paid web site) or Steve Huff's.

Google, download, compare, before typing angry posts.

Edited by Ecaton

We don't need to spend hours in photo shops to comprehend that cameras which are not dedicated to M lenses can not give decent results with M wides in any way. We've been taught through R-D1, M8 and M9 experience how difficult it may be with dedicated ones already.

• Like 1

The NEX-7 is a fine camera and I have been having a ball with mine. And it adapts

to a lot of great lenses. And you don’t have to say - damn I wish I had a zoom for this

shot- you just snap one on.

It works great on my big Novoflex contraptions…. light weight!!! Much easier to

use on a fast focus handle mount. So much more compact and lighter than a Visoflex!

Ok so I'm really thinking of this camera now mainly for use with my longer lenses namely 135 apo-telyt, 90 elmarit-M and canon 85 f1.8. I am sure it will perform well with these and have also seen that it should be Ok with the WATE. What I was wondering is if anyone has used it with the 28 summicron asph and is it sharp at the edges wide open and does it show any magenta shift. Thanks

We don't need to spend hours in photo shops to comprehend that cameras which are not dedicated to M lenses can not give decent results with M wides in any way. We've been taught through R-D1, M8 and M9 experience how difficult it may be with dedicated ones already.

Well I see here

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

that this doesn't seem to be the case with lenses of a retro focus design such as the WATE