NEX-7 + Summicron

Washington

I’ve been running around with my new Sony NEX-7, Novoflex adapter and 28mm

Summicron. I do believe this is a great camera! Using this combo in manual mode

is no more difficult than a film Leica.

I got a NEX 7 last week and have been trying it out with a 50 Summilux ASPH. I have to agree.

I use the Nex 7 with an older 35mm Summicron for a very nice compact walk around camera. Great manual Leica lenses with real manual focusing and real manual aperture control are a very nice addition to the modern Sony body and sensor. Some of the wider lenses have some softness in the corners but medium and longer lenses yield spectacular detail. The very accurate framing provided with all the lenses is a treat, but especially the 90mm and 135mm. Focusing with magnification is the most accurate focusing I have ever used.

I do not have a NEX-7 but a Fuji X-100 which uses the same method for manual focusing, i.e. magnification of a central part of the finder image.

This is a great leap for mankind – backwards. It brings us right back to the 1936 Kine-Exakta which had a plain matte screen for focusing. By folding down a flap over the screen, you put in place a magnifier in its center – but at the same time, you obscured the rest of the finder! Add to that the fact that you had to focus wide open and stop down manually before releasing the shutter, or focus stopped down which was and is quite inaccurate.

After the war lenes were produced that had aperture pre-selection, i.e. you could pre-set a working aperture, focus wide open and then by one handgrip close the aperture down. Not until the late 1950's did lenses with automatic aperture appear. My first own SLR, an Edixa Reflex (ugh) still had to be handled the old way.

And you had to focus on a waist level, sideways reversed image ... just as bad as staring at a monitor on the back of the camera.

So far from being accurate, you have a primitive, inaccurate and s-l-o-w focusing system from the Dark Ages. I lost all interest in using M lenses on non-M cameras when I had evaluated their manual focusing systems. I still have a glimmer of hope for the coming Leica EVIL camera – but it is faint, very faint!

In any case, the glass I would want to use on that camera would not be M lenses but a box full of quite advanced Olympus OM macro gear.

LB

• Like 2

...So far from being accurate, you have a primitive, inaccurate and s-l-o-w focusing system from the Dark Ages. I lost all interest in using M lenses on non-M cameras when I had evaluated their manual focusing systems. I still have a glimmer of hope for the coming Leica EVIL camera – but it is faint, very faint!...

+1. Happy to see that Vikings and Normans can (sometimes) think alike. :D

I do not have a NEX-7 but a Fuji X-100 which uses the same method for manual focusing, i.e. magnification of a central part of the finder image.

This is a great leap for mankind – backwards. It brings us right back to the 1936 Kine-Exakta which had a plain matte screen for focusing. By folding down a flap over the screen, you put in place a magnifier in its center – but at the same time, you obscured the rest of the finder! Add to that the fact that you had to focus wide open and stop down manually before releasing the shutter, or focus stopped down which was and is quite inaccurate.

After the war lenes were produced that had aperture pre-selection, i.e. you could pre-set a working aperture, focus wide open and then by one handgrip close the aperture down. Not until the late 1950's did lenses with automatic aperture appear. My first own SLR, an Edixa Reflex (ugh) still had to be handled the old way.

And you had to focus on a waist level, sideways reversed image ... just as bad as staring at a monitor on the back of the camera.

So far from being accurate, you have a primitive, inaccurate and s-l-o-w focusing system from the Dark Ages. I lost all interest in using M lenses on non-M cameras when I had evaluated their manual focusing systems. I still have a glimmer of hope for the coming Leica EVIL camera – but it is faint, very faint!

In any case, the glass I would want to use on that camera would not be M lenses but a box full of quite advanced Olympus OM macro gear.

LB

I'm not familiar with the focusing of the X100 or the Kine-Exacta, but the Nex7 uses focus peaking which I find very usable, especially with my 90 mm. I'll be clear that it is not a rangefinder and I still would prefer my M9, but as a 2nd camera for my M lenses and with video I like this camera a lot for a general purpose compact camera. It replaces my Canon G-11 and not my M and for that it is great.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LB

Magnification is the most accurate, but not the best focusing method IMO. The X100 is a pale image of the NEX-7, which is many times faster and intuitive.

Peaking is where it's at.

• Like 1

You can call it primitive, and slow, but you cannot say it is inaccurate.

I dare you to shoot a noctilux , 50 lux, 35 lux (pre fle), 50 sonar, 75 lux and focus better and more accurate with your M9. You won't.

Focuspeeking is very fast btw, but i do not like it so much.

In fact, with the nex7 you can just focus directly with the finder without magnification (works as well as the M9 with the rangefinder), you can magnifie (a bit slow but accurate) or do focuspeeking (fast). And if you really want to be faster, from time to time you can use a sonylens with autofocus, for instance the kitlens.

Of course the nex7 will not replace a M9. But a FF nex or ricoh or so might do it in some time.

Now, your enthousiasm about the "advanced " and "fast" M9 focussing system will make laugh any canikon user... You feel a great leap ahaed of the rest ? ;-)

LB

So far i tested the next lenses:

75/1.4 : great

50/1.0 : great

50/2.0 old model: great

24/2.8 asph: very good, borders not optimal wide open/great when stopped to 4.0 or 5.6 *

21/2.8 preasph: great *

Hexanon dual: 35 mm : great

however at 21 mm : bad, acceptable stopped down

35/2.4 flektogon: very good wide open, great at 4.0 *

35-70mm F4 leica: great (but bulky and slow)

* after correction for cyan corners with Capture One

I suppose i need a 15 or 16 mm somewhere!

I will continue collecting leica lenses hoping for a leica evil or much improved M10/M11

I got a NEX 7 last week and have been trying it out with a 50 Summilux ASPH. I have to agree.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

tried this camera out yesterday in store with my elmarit-M 90. The focus peaking was fantastic and IQ amazing. Am sorely tempted to but this for use with my longer lenses (90 elmarit-M, canon 85 f1.8 and 135 apo-telyt) as this would really give me some reach with accurate focussing!!

I am also using a recently acquired NEX-7 with a 50 Summilux ASPH. The combination is a joy to use!

Interesting: Im looking for a "small high quality" camera to have beside my Leica x1 (of which I'm a satisfied user) for when I need a medium tele lens. The Next 7 + leica 50mm (75 equivalent) could be a candidate. Just curious how do you find manual focusing and how is the shutter sound? Thanks

robert

PS: but than my m7 will be very jealous...:)

Interesting: Im looking for a "small high quality" camera to have beside my Leica x1 (of which I'm a satisfied user) for when I need a medium tele lens. The Next 7 + leica 50mm (75 equivalent) could be a candidate. Just curious how do you find manual focusing and how is the shutter sound? Thanks

robert

PS: but than my m7 will be very jealous...:)

I recently got a NEX7 and have been using it with my M lenses. It takes very nice images and the focus-peaking makes it a joy to focus. I have used it quite a bit with my 90mm Tele-Elmarit and i prefer it to the M9 when it comes to focus. High ISO performance is very good and shutter sound is a quiet single whisk sound. If there is any ambient noise you won't hear the shutter. It won't replace my M9, but it gives me another camera with which to use the M lenses.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the focusing of the X100 or the Kine-Exacta, but the Nex7 uses focus peaking which I find very usable, especially with my 90 mm. I'll be clear that it is not a rangefinder and I still would prefer my M9, but as a 2nd camera for my M lenses and with video I like this camera a lot for a general purpose compact camera. It replaces my Canon G-11 and not my M and for that it is great.

Cannot believe people are still ignorant on how much better Sony's focus peaking is to the horrid modes Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic use on their cameras. Even knockoff modes Ricoh uses on the GXR are pretty lame in comparison; doubly so if you consider what junk the GXRs add on EVF is next to the Nex7 built in or Nex 5N addon.

I also concur as an owner of a Nex 5n and Leica m9 that while peaking is good and speedy; its not as accurate is Rangefinding. Considering how Fuji cannot make their OVF mirrorless cameras autofocus well, it is really annoying; as you know them making a proper rangefinder in this day and age would just be too good. Voigtlander would sooner release a modern digital Bessa, or Epson a newer one for more than just Japanese collectors.

Thank you kdriceman, it seems an opportunity to investigate! I' m still a 50 film 50 digital shooter but this idea is taking me. I only hope to have the opportunity to see and test one in my country soon...

robert

So is this camera the one to get for M lens use? Any consensus?

From lenses of 35mm above absolutely.

With lenses below 28mm (24 and under) there might be an effect that creates violet corners.

This effect can be removed by CornerFix, though.

I LOVE my NEX-7, because it's fast, highly versatile and offer great IQ!