Leica M6 or M4-P?

Jobin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Handled and sold a quite a few, but much preferred the M5.

It still sounds like you were handling your knob incorrectly. Technique is everything in these matters.

Since there are far fewer MR4 meters for sale than M2/3/4s I can only think that most people managed to twiddle their knobs without any strap on equipment.

I'm 6'3" with large hands. I have no problem manipulating my knob. It is, as Steve says, a matter of technique, and of course intimate familiarity with your equipment. I favour a rolling action with the side of my index finger - entirely practical with bare hands or when wearing supple leather gloves. If you are clumsy you may find this hard.

• Like 1

Gee whiz, we just roll the shutter speed with the index finger. I have large hands (xl gloves), but I choose the kind with a friction finger pad. It works with gloves.

We've been doing this forever. Leica never designed it to require the clip-in meter in order to move the speed dial.

If Leica had believed the speed dial was too small, I'd bet they, or someone would offer a replacement dial that extends it vertically - or possibly a device that slips into the flash shoe, incorporates the big wheel like the light meter - but without the rest of the bulk of the meter.

I've never seen such a thing. Does anyone think it might be a viable product? (Thumbs-up, Thumbie, Leica Goodies - are you reading this?)

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

Gee whiz, we just roll the shutter speed with the index finger. I have large hands (xl gloves), but I choose the kind with a friction finger pad. It works with gloves.

We've been doing this forever. Leica never designed it to require the clip-in meter in order to move the speed dial.

If Leica had believed the speed dial was too small, I'd bet they, or someone would offer a replacement dial that extends it vertically - or possibly a device that slips into the flash shoe, incorporates the big wheel like the light meter - but without the rest of the bulk of the meter.

I've never seen such a thing. Does anyone think it might be a viable product? (Thumbs-up, Thumbie, Leica Goodies - are you reading this?)

It's already been done Pico. Cold weather shutter speed dial which has a kind of lever on the top of it. I've seen a photo and will try and find it again.

• Like 1

Guest Ornello

Well you do know that they did enlarge it not once, but twice. Once for the M5 and again for the later M6 models.

Guest Ornello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M5 had an "internal" speed dial, did it not?

Completely different from any M before or after. And the model which nearly bankrupt Leica.

No, it had a large speed dial on the top. There was also, I believe, an indicator in the viewfinder.

Yes, as seen here in this photo from the internet:

http://photo.net/equipment/leica/m5/M5-35-135-web.jpg

The point is that the large dial was easier to grip. It has nothing to do with something in the viewfinder.

I have no idea why it did not sell better. It was in my opinion vastly under-rated.

Guest Ornello
It didn't sell better because it was too big, too ugly and wasn't a traditional M. The M6 later sold in huge numbers.

I think it was perfect in size, and beautiful. Traditional? eh...who's to say? The large shutter speed dial was a vast improvement in my opinion. I almost bought one, but bought another SL2 instead.

Michael, that photo is from photo.net. As mentioned earlier it isn't acceptable to publish uncredited photographs.

Here's the page you lifted it from...

http://photo.net/equipment/leica/m5/

You'll notice the copyright detail at the bottom of the text.

Edited by stunsworth

It still sounds like you were handling your knob incorrectly. Technique is everything in these matters.

Since there are far fewer MR4 meters for sale than M2/3/4s I can only think that most people managed to twiddle their knobs without any strap on equipment.

LOL

How a simple chat about classic Leicas spirals downward to knob jokes. I'm just as bad, as it made me grin.

You guys are lucky, spoilt or something, it took me till age 56 to justify just one Leica, and it's an M3 with 2.8 Elmar and working Leicameter MC. Magic!

• Like 2

How a simple chat about classic Leicas spirals downward to knob jokes. I'm just as bad, as it made me grin.

You guys are lucky, spoilt or something, it took me till age 56 to justify just one Leica, and it's an M3 with 2.8 Elmar and working Leicameter MC. Magic!

Well there's little you can't do with that kit! Welcome to the madhouse!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to have an M4-P. It just feels somehow lighter and smaller than my M6TTL. Then again, as a graphic designer, I can readily appreciate the M5. Its design and ergonomics are better than the regular M's. The jutting, larger shutter dial, in particular (though, for even more enhanced ergonomics, jutting it to the back so that you work it with your thumb would make turning the dial a lot easier, as in side to side movements a thumb tends to be more flexible than a finger).

I also love the M5's vertical hanging strap lugs... I think Leica should have these on their proposed new compact digital line.