Tele Megor 18cm for SM-Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I bought a coupled Meyer Goerlitz Tele Megor f=18cm for M39 Leica some times ago. Because of the focal length I do not know to use it or to put it in the cabinet (seems be rare; I found just a few links within google). Does someone knoe this lens? Is there a viewfinder available for 18cm? Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very interesting item... if you search, you can find the TEWE external VF which has the 180mm frame (is a multifocal 35-200, iirc) : not so common, but even not so scarce

I have one of those, and also a Zeiss East German/Russian turret type which goes uip to 180, although it misses out 35mm to do it which is a shame!

Gerry

Interesting lens, though Meyer Optik Görlitz was not known for particularly stellar optics..... ;)

It should not be too difficult to find the TEWE zoom finder mentioned by Luigi, they do often show up on eBay. Zeiss (pre-WWII) used to make a dedicated 180mm finder but, it is quite rare today, as is their 5-lens multi-finder with the 180mm focal length.

The Russians did copy the Zeiss multi-finder but, did not make the version with a 180mm setting. Theirs only had optics for 28, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm lenses.

Cheers,

Jan

Dear All

Thank you very much for your inputs. I do not understand why Meyer Görlitz build a lens without a fitting viewfinder (and also Leica seems to have no fitting viewfinder)? Seems to be an answer why the lens had no success. But anyway does someone ever made pictures with it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, that Leitz didn't make a 180mm Viewfinder is at all reasonable... they didn't make a 180mm lens for Leica (apart the short lived Tele Elmarit, but it was for Visoflex - reflex usage) : just for curios, years ago I had a (very poor performing) 2x converter for Leica screw mount... used sometimes it with 90 mm and tried to use the Leitz 200mm viewfinder (SFTOO)... terrible ergonomics... it protruded 5/6 cm or so beside the back, making the framing+handling a someway ridicolus posture :rolleyes: (it was made to be mounted on a shoe on the Visoflex I body, indeed)

Probably, Meyer didn't make a VF of their own just because some 3rd party items did existed at those times (I don't know the timing, but maybe the TEWE was contemporary). Also, I think that their 180 didn't enjoy a significant commercial success in the Leica world (probably, the same lens' design was used elsewhere... Exakta being the most reasonable hipotesis)... surely it is interesting more for its rarity than for its performance as a user lens... we will be very curios to see some pictures taken with your item, posted here : I think it would be a "first" in our forum... :)

BTW... always about 180mm viewfinders... Zeiss did make one also pre-WWII (code 436/11), for the Olympia Sonnar in direct attachment version (very rare) and the Tessar 180 f 6,3 : I think it is really very rare and difficult to find

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Dear Luigi

Thank you very much for the answer. But there is still the open question about the viewfinder. It's like producing tires without having rims? I have a TEWE viewfinder and I will post pictures but I am still a little bit confused.

Meyer made the worst lens I ever used, a 50 mm Domiplan.

Gerry

Agreed - I used the Domiplan for a week on a Praktica I had during my early teens.... Swapped it very quickly for a Zeiss Jena Pancolar.

........... But there is still the open question about the viewfinder. It's like producing tires without having rims? I have a TEWE viewfinder and I will post pictures but I am still a little bit confused.....

The answer may be very simple. This is obviously a pre-WWII lens and at that time Zeiss used to make viewfinders for 180mm lenses. So - Meyer probably did not bother producing a dedicated finder, as they were readily available at the time.

The TEWE is perfectly usable today, even though its frame edges are somewhat unsharp due to its optical design. Another possibility, though harder to find on its own, would be Komura viewfinders. A Komura zoom finder with settings from 80mm to 270mm used to be supplied with a Komura 2x telextender of rather dubious quality and may be difficult to find separately. Komura also used to make a dedicated 200mm viewfinder, supplied with their 200mm LTM rangefinder coupled telephoto. Also hard to find separately.

Photos below.

Best,

Jan

• Like 1

Many of the Komura zoom finders have serious haze, which reduces visibility of the reflected frame. The haze comes from the lubricant that Komura used for the moving parts of the zooming mechanism - the finder is relatively easy to take apart and clean.

Once cleaned, it is quite bright but, not as bright as the TEWE - the finders are different optically; the Komura does not magnify the finder image when zoomed rather, reduces the size of its reflected frame to project the appropriate focal length. The TEWE on the other hand, is a true zoom finder which magnifies the image for longer focal lengths. That is the reason why the frame edges become rather fuzzy and unsharp when zoomed all the way to 180 or 200mm.

Cheers,

Jan

....This is obviously a pre-WWII lens and at that time Zeiss used to make viewfinders for 180mm lenses.... So - Meyer probably did not bother producing a dedicated finder, as they were readily available at the time....

... and no few kinds, indeed ... (the first is the one I mentioned before)

• Like 1

TEWE 35-200 I like this viewfinder

• Like 2

i sometimes use a Tele Megor lens 1:5,5/30 cm with the Visoflex. It was a lens for medium format cameras. My father had it adapted for Visoflex.

If I have time tomorrow, I will make some pictures and post something here.

It is rather good. Meyer Görlitz had a good name for longer lenses. With the Exacta I use a lens called Lydith 30 mm. It is much better, than the Domiplan. But the Domiplan is very cheap. It has only three lenses. And its maximum aperture of 1:2,8 is too large.

Yours sincerely

Thomas

here a german link: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer-Optik

Edited by thomas_schertel
supplement
  • Like 1

Here is my lens:

Here the picture I made with it (M8, Visoflex III, f 1:11, Tripod)

Here a crop F 11:

Here a crop fully open (F 5,5)

Fully open the lens is soft, but stopped down, it is not bad.

Yours sincerely

Thomas

• Like 4

Hi Here is a couple of photos of a Tele Meyer F5.5 -25cm s/n 637515 lens with 25cm viewfinder mounted on a 1c Leica ,in my collection .This lens can also be used on Leica with rangefinder as has rangefinder coupling in mount ..

• Like 2

Hi Here is a couple of photos of a Tele Meyer F5.5 -25cm s/n 637515 lens with 25cm viewfinder mounted on a 1c Leica ,in my collection .This lens can also be used on Leica with rangefinder as has rangefinder coupling in mount ..

250mm with LTM RF coupling !!! I think it's a record... is it working decently ? Probably, the 180mm f 2,8 Olympia Sonnar was even more critical to be focused by RF... but the Contax had a much longer RF base... however Zeiss soon decided to offer it only with Reflex focusing...

Edited by luigi bertolotti