E. Leitz New York

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello friends. Might any of you Leica historians be able to give me a quick run down of Leicas history in New York / New Jersey. I mainly am trying to find out:

1. When they moved into 304 Hudson Street NY
  2. When they moved out of Hudson and into 468 4th Ave. NY
  3. When they moved out of 4th Avenue and into New Jersey

I know these seem like silly questions but I am from that area and curiosity has gotten the better of me. Many Thanks

Hello Inspector Clouseau,

Welcome to the Forum.

Leitz was @ its Park Avenue (4th Avenue) address in the late 1960's.

In the 1970's they had a liason offfice @ the corner of 59th St & Central Park West when they first opened their Rockleigh office in the Northeastern corner of New Jersey. Hudson River immediately East. New York State immediately North.

Their Northvale NJ office, a little Southwest of Rockleigh but not too far away, was open in the early 1980's. In 2003 it was still there. If I remember correctly the Microscope Division stayed in Rockleigh.

Allendale, the present home, is not far West of Northvale.

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know when they moved to Park Avenue. Park Avenue, not 4th Avenue, is the name used by most people for quite a long time now.

The reverse w/ Avenue of the Americas which most people who live or work in New York City call 6th Avenue. I went to graduate school on 42d Street between 6th Avenue & Park Avenue across the street from the New York Public Library.

Best Regards,

Michael

Im getting close, my investigation has revealed the following so far:

• At Hudson early 1950's
  • At Park Ave by 1956
  • Left Park Ave around 1968 / 1970
  • 1972 moved to Northvale, NJ
  • Recently moved to Allendale NJ

Anyone like to dispute this or ad to it? I still don't have a date for when they opened and closed the Hudson location ..... all I know is that they were in Park Ave. in 1956.

I think they spent most of the 1970's & possibly part of the 1980's in Rockleigh.

You also left out their liason office in New York City in the 1970's. You might want to read my Post #5, this Thread, again.

Best Regards,

Michael

Yes of course - forgive me. Let me verify this added information with my other sources. This is typical for Inspector Clouseau to leave out huge parts of the investigation. I was actually just checking to see if you were paying attention.

Edited by Inspector Clouseau
  • Like 2

Im getting a lot of conflicting information .... and the more I inquire ... the more I am just pissing people off. Seems this is one of those questions that just send people into a fit. A very reliable source tells me that Hudson remained open even up till Leitz moved into New Jersey. This same source is telling me that Park was open in 1954 .... I on the other hand also have proof that Hudson was open in 1953 .... so I dont know anymore. To keep all parties happy I will just assume that Park was open at the same time Hudson was open. Im done with this investigating stuff. Im sure we are all thoroughly exhausted with this topic. Regards

When companies move, be they Leitz or anyone else, there is often an overlap of when & where they might be for a significant period of time. Old & new. People are used to an old place & so it might be maintained simultaneously w/ the new place for a period of time for them. People might not find the new place convenient or currently accesable & so the old place might be maintained for a while for them. Sometimes an old place is maintained thru a sucession of new places. & so on......

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Well ..... no disputing this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Just found this site and based upon the dates of the previous posts there is a possibility that no one will read this post.  For 5 summers starting in 1967 while in college I worked for Trinity Church who owned numerous industrial buildings in lower Manhattan primarily in the Hudson and Varick Streets area. I was employed primarily as a freight elevator operator. In those days many of the tenants in Trinity buildings were financial printers. Alot has changed since then. I was employed in several buildings but primarily at 345 Hudson Street. One week in 1968 or 1969 I was detailed to 304 Hudson Street. While walking thru the bldg I noticed some advertising posters for the Leica Cameras. The firm was no longer in the bldg.  It caught my attention because at the time I had a Leica rangefinder camera. In 1973 or 1974 I rode up to their Northvale, NJ facillity to have it checked out. They spent about an hour on it and advised it wasn't worth repairing. They didn't charge me. It's a long shot but maybe the folks in the real estate office of Trinity Church cou;d help you with the dates of Leica's occupancy. Assuming that they are at the same place they are at 76 (or 78) Trinity Place directly behind the church.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Offices for E. Leitz, New York

Dates

Earliest            Latest

30 E. 23rd Street                             1894               1905

411 W. 59th Street                          1905              ~1920 (may be 1913)

30 E. 18th Street                              1913 noted

60 E. 10th Street                              5/1923            2/1937

730 5th Avenue                               3/1937            9/1944

Wartime shutdown                         9/1944            11/1945

304 Hudson Street                          11/1945

468 4th Avenue                                1/1953

Rockleigh, N.J.                               Early 1970 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just my study from literature. Subject to any new information. The Emil Keller book on Leitz New York provides a little information.

Edited by alan mcfall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello John & Susan,

Welcome to the Forum both.

Hello Alan,

Thank you for the Information.

For those people not from the New York Metropolitan Area: "468 4th Avenue" then: Is 468 Park Avenue now.

The address is South of Grand Central Station. Grand Central Station, which sits across Park Avenue, has its main entrance on 42nd Street.

If I remember correctly, their office was on the West side of the Street. The right side, walking down from Grand Central Station.

Then they moved to Rockleigh, New Jersey. Which is the very North East corner of New Jersey.

Hudson River to the East. New York State to the North.

They kept an office on Columbus Circle, at Central Park South, in Manhattan, for a while, so that people in New York City could pick up & drop off cameras, lenses & the like.

Then they moved to Northvale. Just a little West of Rockleigh.

Then they moved to Allendale. Which is West of Northvale.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2012 at 8:21 AM, lars_bergquist said:

Yes, the semibold weight. Zapf (who I had the pleasure to meet and converse with a few years ago) did in fact intend Optima for display use, not as a text face.

The old man from the Lead Age

I miss the old man. Sad to have to miss his posts.

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1