Very interesting answer from Leica on 35mm 1.4

tashley

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already posted that my chrome summilux asph had no problem I just received my 35mm Summicron ASPH brand new from Popflash today sn 4002xxx black with encoding. All this discussion had me nervous and I did some quick checks. Ruler and newsprint test at 4 ft or so at f2.0 to 8.0 was super sharp for all. Far test at 15 ft was sharp on pt of focus. I'm satisfied in my mind that my gear does not have any of the problem that's outlined here.

Jan

I already posted that my chrome summilux asph had no problem I just received my 35mm Summicron ASPH brand new from Popflash today sn 4002xxx black with encoding. All this discussion had me nervous and I did some quick checks. Ruler and newsprint test at 4 ft or so at f2.0 to 8.0 was super sharp for all. Far test at 15 ft was sharp on pt of focus. I'm satisfied in my mind that my gear does not have any of the problem that's outlined here.

Jan

Great news Jan, that's a data point that shows a new 4**** 35 cron working just fine, so I am now going to send mine off to get fixed. Thanks for posting!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

BAD NEWS

my experience with the M8 is turning to be a nightmare.

It's just returned today from Germany my M8 + 35 Cron combo.

A few shots and voilà.....all as it was before the Leica check.

But it's not enough, no.

Now, after the recalibration of the rangefinder, the two images of a point never coincide (vertical misalignement, when before this was absolutely ok).

They wrote in the papers of some strange electronic modifications to the camera (for what?).

After waiting a month this is what Leica is able to do????

It's simply a shame.

I thought that it was a fault of mines, that it's not possible that the techs at Leica misaligned the rangefinder. I just taked other shots to check, and other ones too.

The reality is that Leica returned to me the camera with a problem NOT solved in any way and without explication, with a rangefined now very misaligned and with some stange electronic modifications for something that I will never know.

What can I do now?

BAD NEWS

my experience with the M8 is turning to be a nightmare.

It's just returned today from Germany my M8 + 35 Cron combo.

A few shots and voilà.....all as it was before the Leica check.

But it's not enough, no.

Now, after the recalibration of the rangefinder, the two images of a point never coincide (vertical misalignement, when before this was absolutely ok).

They wrote in the papers of some strange electronic modifications to the camera (for what?).

After waiting a month this is what Leica is able to do????

It's simply a shame.

I thought that it was a fault of mines, that it's not possible that the techs at Leica misaligned the rangefinder. I just taked other shots to check, and other ones too.

The reality is that Leica returned to me the camera with a problem NOT solved in any way and without explication, with a rangefined now very misaligned and with some stange electronic modifications for something that I will never know.

What can I do now?

Send a fax marked PERSONAL to the new MD of Leica Camera. This is just not good enough. This seems to be happening time and again. The immaculate Noctilux I bought from another member just after it came back from coding and an expensive overhaul, was miles out in focus in the mid-range, as my local dealer confirmed. We pay premium prices for Leica cameras and lenses and are entitled to expect premium service. We are a pretty loyal lot of customers but the elastic only stretches so far - Leica please take this on board.

Wilson

Roberto--

Man, that's a bummer! How horrible to wait and then get the camera back worse than when it started!

Maybe the electronic modifications were to prevent some future failure that they've identified, but that's just speculation on my part.

Only thing to do is send the camera back for re-work. Maybe call them first and talk to them about the difficulty?

Gee, I'm sorry for the problem, both from your point of view and because I hoped we might be getting a handle on the issue.

Good luck!

--HC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Roberto,

There is mounting evidence that Solms may be out of its depth at the moment - too stretched either in processing power or in design architecture. We all want them to survive and to get our kit right first time or, worst case, fix it quickly and correctly. Anything else is not acceptable, at all. Follow William's advice. Leica need to deal with this, but we have to let them know unambiguously what 'this' is.

Best luck

t

Leica Italy decided to swap my M8 with a new one today.

Happily the new camera has the rangefinder perfectly calibrated BUT...

the backfocus of the 35 cron is a problem of the cron, so still there!

I think that I'll swap it for a 28/2.8 when it will be available. I think that Leica created that M8 optimized lens for more than one reason and not all reasons has made public. Maybe they knew that the 35 mm (cron & lux) exhibited subtle to serious focusing problems?

Who knows?