Philippe D.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest magyarman
Everyone, please use caution when installing firmware updates. There are many reasons why Leica may have pulled the firmware update from their site. Sure, its disappearance might be a technical glitch or a mistake on their part, but they may have also found, post-publishing, a serious issue in the update code.

I would strongly urge everyone to not install this update until it reappears on Leica's site. Guy, as a public service you might want to pull the YouSendIt link temporarily.

I don't want to be alarmist, but firmware is not something you want to be casual about. Mistakes in firmware can result in shipping your camera back to the factory.

Of course, it would be nice if Leica communicated what was going on to the public. :mad:

You people are like small child what cant to wait second for got what he want it! First one you buy new M8 what is not finish to test, then when is bat you complaint prablem. Now you take new firmware in first minute he life, before Leica even got chance to make it annoncing. If is something bat in new firmware what gonna spoilt your M8, now you gonna complaint Leica again :mad: Prablem is, nobody here got capability to take a patients wait for boat to touch dock, then you upsetting when you try jump and fell into water :confused:

Play works normally for me. I like the fact that the .upd file erases it self from the SD card, so i don't have to format it again. Did it do that the last time as well? I also hope 1.091 wasn't a sabotaged firmware. I have my copy of 1.09 in case a problem develops. Guy, if you need it, just yell and I will yousendit, or for that matter you can now download it again.

When we get this loaded and it seems to be really offered, will someone with a 28/2.8 ASPH check to see if the max aperture is now written into the EXIF? That was a minor flaw in 1.09.

scott

You are absolutely correct. Pulling the firmware was not good for consumer confidence.

But I enthusiastically installed mine upon seeing it, so I'm stuck :confused:

My prediction is that the file itself is fine, but they realized that it had the wron extension on it and pulled it until someone with a clue came to help. That said, my camera recognized the firmware with the .xml extension, and it installed cleanly.

Bill,

Hope you are correct about something being "wrong", and not the extension. My hope was that it should have read " v. 1.10" and not "1.091"

LJ

You people are like small child what cant to wait second for got what he want it! First one you buy new M8 what is not finish to test, then when is bat you complaint prablem. Now you take new firmware in first minute he life, before Leica even got chance to make it annoncing. If is something bat in new firmware what gonna spoilt your M8, now you gonna complaint Leica again :mad: Prablem is, nobody here got capability to take a patients wait for boat to touch dock, then you upsetting when you try jump and fell into water :confused:

I do understand your point but:

1) I waited about four months after Leica started selling the M8. How long must one wait after the release of a $5000 body before one knows it's safe?

2) One of the world's most respected camera manufacturers posted a firmware update to their premium product on their website. Why would one wait for some sort of "announcement"? It's there, it's real, what is the clue that it's OK?

Anyway, I'm a good swimmer. Come on in, the water's nice!

Guest guy_mancuso
Play works normally for me. I like the fact that the .upd file erases it self from the SD card, so i don't have to format it again. Did it do that the last time as well? I also hope 1.091 wasn't a sabotaged firmware. I have my copy of 1.09 in case a problem develops. Guy, if you need it, just yell and I will yousendit, or for that matter you can now download it again.

When we get this loaded and it seems to be really offered, will someone with a 28/2.8 ASPH check to see if the max aperture is now written into the EXIF? That was a minor flaw in 1.09.

scott

Thanks Scot but i certainly do have it for sure:D

Don't think anyone said there is something wrong with the firmware. :)

Guy,

Not talking about the firmware itself, but the numbering and extension that gets added via a Safari browser download on a Mac, that is all.

Personally, I think if you have two cameras to play with, test it on one to see if things are really working, different, improved, etc. You can always reload 1.09 if you need to ;)

LJ

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes that weird file extension XML does come up with Safari, firefox seems fine though and it is loaded on both M8's and seem much improvement has been made on many area's.

... Greatly appreciate your comments and any tests you can do. (Become a monster :D )

Did they include any menu system or other ways of compensating for cyan drift? any way to handle non-coded lenses? any way of telling if the battery thingie is fixed? anything else you, and others can share will help sait the frustrations a bit. :confused:;)

LJ

LJ it is my dream to become a monster, but I'll need really big shoes to do so on this forum.

I scanned thru the menu and don't see any changes except that lens detection is now on/off, as reported above. I don't see any options for non-coded lenses, but if the corrections for vignetting-cyan drift are to be in 1.1, then I wouldn't expect them to be in this release.

I'll test tonite and if in fact this upgrade turns out to be misadvised I will report -- and do so in a warm, cheerful manner.

BTW, does anyone have a copy of the 1.09 update from a download. I'd lilke to have it available so I can regress if necessary.

Guest magyarman
I do understand your point but:

1) I waited about four months after Leica started selling the M8. How long must one wait after the release of a $5000 body before one knows it's safe?

Depend who make it. If is compagnie got little experiants, mabe need wait full year. Only can tell when is big prablem stop to happen it other people :D

2) One of the world's most respected camera manufacturers posted a firmware update to their premium product on their website. Why would one wait for some sort of "announcement"? It's there, it's real, what is the clue that it's OK?

Can be guy who got job to make sure works download file for website make it test and take mistake by axidental publish file to www. If was me I gonna wait Leica make some oficialy announcement, just be sure. Leica is compagnie which left hand does not seems like nows what is doing by right hand :D

Anyway, I'm a good swimmer. Come on in, the water's nice!

I wait libit more. Mabe one monath see how works new firmware.

Gentlemen:

(I love the camera). I followed the posted instructions and dropped the .xml file downloaded by Safari - my Mac's inablility to open it notwithstanding - onto a formatted card and loaded it into the M8. Properly prompted, it took about 1 min to load. However, even after "rebooting" and resetting there appears no difference: it still says enabled/disabled and not on/off, there is no speed and ISO data over the replay (only alongside the image when the info view is chosen) and the firmware version still shows as 1.09, not 1.09(1). Am I missing something? Might there be a way to assure that I have uploaded the latest firmware? Thanks in advance.

David Ruck

Interesting -- I just had to do a double-take.

I have a 2GB card loaded and am set for hi-res jpg + dng, as usual. The counter on top says 536 (I have taken 3 pairs of pix) instead of an expected 138 or so.

I took this opportunity to check out the max write time, about which I was curious.

I have the M8 set to take both a hi-res jpg and a dng. I set to continuous and shot 10 pix. The camera stayed locked up for 45-47 seconds.

Gentlemen:

(I love the camera). I followed the posted instructions and dropped the .xml file downloaded by Safari - my Mac's inablility to open it notwithstanding - onto a formatted card and loaded it into the M8. Properly prompted, it took about 1 min to load. However, even after "rebooting" and resetting there appears no difference: it still says enabled/disabled and not on/off, there is no speed and ISO data over the replay (only alongside the image when the info view is chosen) and the firmware version still shows as 1.09, not 1.09(1). Am I missing something? Might there be a way to assure that I have uploaded the latest firmware? Thanks in advance.

David Ruck

You need to remove the xml extension so the file extension is upd.