Sign in to follow this  
Philippe D.

Firmware v.1.91 for M8 available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve, you are correct it was made available and then pulled shortly afterwards. It should be available next week according to one report.

Hi!

Were did you see that report??

thanks, Steve

Some people have said they can hear a difference in the shutter sound with the new firmware. I can't hear a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't.

To settle the matter I made several sound recordings at different shutter speeds with 1.90 and 1.91 firmware and carried out a spectrographic analysis of the results. There is a very significant difference. With the 1.91 firmware there is a short pre-shutter like sound before the normal shutter cycle which wasn't present with the 1.90 firmware.

I've marked the additional sound with red arrows on the attached spectrograms. The vertical axis represent frequency and the horizontal axis time.The louder the sound at a particular frequency the more red the color.

The vertical yellow bands on the left are the shutter blades opening and closing. The shutter speed is high so you can't see the opening separated from the closing. The horizontal orange band within the yellow area is probably the shutter blades ringing at about 4.5Khz, which gives them their metallic sound. You can see that he sound generated by the shutter extends over a wide frequency range.

The extended horizontal band in the middle is the shutter cocking mechanism. It's low frequency and low amplitude. The vertcal bands towards the end of the cocking time are probably a breaking mechanism.

Whether the extra sound made at the beginning of each shutter cycle is by design or otherwise I don't know. Perhaps it's prudent not to use the new firmware until we know the answer to this.

Bob.

ETA: Perhaps this should be in this thread http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/18000-loud-m8.html if it needs moving I have no objection

The vertcal bands towards the end of the cocking time are probably a breaking mechanism.

Bob--

I know it's a simple typo, but consider the irony of Leica building into the camera a shutter *breaking* mechanism in place of a shutter *braking* mechanism.

That could explain a lot ...

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to do and post the sound analysis.

--HC

wow, thank you Robert for such a thorough investigation on this!

can one assume this is some sort of pre-exposure that Leica is implimenting to solve the 2degrees edge-light banding problem???....???? im all for getting better image quality, but the M8's shutter is loud enough at fw 1.09

/a

Some people have said they can hear a difference in the shutter sound with the new firmware. I can't hear a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't.

To settle the matter I made several sound recordings at different shutter speeds with 1.90 and 1.91 firmware and carried out a spectrographic analysis of the results. There is a very significant difference. With the 1.91 firmware there is a short pre-shutter like sound before the normal shutter cycle which wasn't present with the 1.90 firmware.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bob:

Is your M8 from the original batch or a recent one? I don't hear the extra noise in my shutter.

Robert

I beleive mine is from the original batch, although I didn't buy it until 1/24/07, with a serial of 3100977.

I don't remeber the extra noise but I only had in on the camera for about one hours as I had other little glitches with it.

Bob:

Is your M8 from the original batch or a recent one? I don't hear the extra noise in my shutter.

Robert

It's from a batch which didn't need sending back for updating. I received it just in time to meet the 30% offer. Whether it's a factory rework from inventory they had I don't know. It came with 1.09 firmware.

I've played back the sound recordings several times but I'm unable to hear the extra shutter noise, unlike some who have said it's a definite clunk.

Bob.

Well here we go I thought I was a bit weird but that is the first things I noticed when I changed the firmware to 1.91 the sound and actually it was less loud to me but didn’t say anything cause thought was going nuts with this m8 second generation firmware 1.09 and now 1.091, don’t know what to do keep the 1.091 or go back to 1.09 ??? any suggestion?

thanks, Steve

I've gone back to 1.09 after doing some careful comparison shoots of the same object within minutes of one another with the same lighting, same lens, same f stop and carefully focusing on the same point each time with only the firmware being changed. Much to my suprise 1.09 produced better white balance in my incandecent set up than did 1.091 on both the jpgs and the dngs. I went back and forth twoice to be sure and to verify that I had not changed anything. This is in PSE5 with camera JPGs and DNGS with no editing. Also, 1.09 appeared slightly sharper. Again I verified that all camera settings were the same.

Steve,

Funny, I had the saem experience as you, I thought 1.091 wasn't as loud. As to which version to keep. I thought before that WB and image quality was better with 1.091 but that was without the benefit of taking test shots of the same subject under the same conditions. Now, having done, that I am leaning toward 1.09 being better. The only other explanation would be that PSE5 viewer is using something different in its processing between the two.

This may be an insignificant issue for many, but C1 on Mac used to give lousy jpg conversions, with obvious vertical banding all over the place. I find that with the interim firmware, C1 gives much nicer results, making straight raw-to-jpg conversion a useable alternative. Can't imagine the reason - maybe I am seeing ghosts. The different shutter sound is obvious too, but the camera hasn't become any less responsive.

Regards,

EJ

Well here we go I thought I was a bit weird but that is the first things I noticed when I changed the firmware to 1.91 the sound and actually it was less loud to me but didn’t say anything cause thought was going nuts with this m8 second generation firmware 1.09 and now 1.091, don’t know what to do keep the 1.091 or go back to 1.09 ??? any suggestion?

thanks, Steve

Given that:

1.The firmware was unfinished

2.Leica advises to revert to 1.09

3.There is at least one broken shutter reported

4.There is a measurable different effect in shutter sound

I think it would be very unwise to continue using 1.091.

And thank you, Robert, for putting this on an objective basis.

Hi,

Actually it was v.1.091 but, when installing it says v.1.91.

As well as the current version available to d/l is v.1.09 but says v.1.009 on the install screen.

1.009 is clearly intended to enable the camera to overwrite 1.091. If you reinstall after installing 1.009, it will install 1.09. It is a good idea to do it that anyway to wipe any traces of 1.091, as it does make a difference when installing.

I thing mabe better to be decent Hungarian (You see, I understand very good Englisch).

That statement solves the riddle for me!

Given that:

3.There is at least one broken shutter reported

4.There is a measurable different effect in shutter sound

As far as I remember, the shutter broke before the new firmware was available.

It's really funny, I installed the new firmware, lost all my previous hiccups so far and did not notice any louder shutter noise.

As far as I know the reason to pull the firmware was a bug in the connection via USB port. This bug wasn't in the 1.09. So my guess is that the next 1.092 will be a 1.091 without this bug. As I'm not using the USB connection, I feel safe with 1.091 so far.

However, I'm pretty sure the 1.10 will be based on the 1.09x, so I better get used to it

Come on, boys, don't make more problems than necessary. Think positive

Best regards

KH

I had no problems either, rather the opposite, I found 1.091 very good. Better safe than sorry though. I reverted for the time being and will wait for Barnack's Blessing.

As far as I know the reason to pull the firmware was a bug in the connection via USB port. This bug wasn't in the 1.09. So my guess is that the next 1.092 will be a 1.091 without this bug. As I'm not using the USB connection, I feel safe with 1.091 so far.

Hi!

Can you tell were you got the information that there was a bug in the connection via the USB port.

Thanks, Steve

Afaik the main bug was in the playback and menu scrolling. I could not get the camera to malfunction with 1.091 though.

Guest magyarman
From what I can see of his few loosely dropped Hungarian words, and the fact that he never bothered answering me in that tongue, this person is not fluent in that language - either. And FYI I had no problem comprehending what Keith wrote using Hungarian words above. Blasko, not being a Hungarian did.

You Hungarian like from small child what learn from his grandfather. How writes Keith is also not reality Hungarian. I also can to make guest what he try tell, becaus some word got mean, oba same like what you try tell is make it insalt to my personal, so why I suppose listen your crop? I dont need proof nothing you, for mine thinging is you who need proof me you from Hungaria, this do not tell by way how you writes;)

Hi!

Can you tell were you got the information that there was a bug in the connection via the USB port.

Thanks, Steve

I got this from the technical Hotline.

Best regards

KH