Firmware v.1.91 for M8 available

Philippe D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmmm... am I going crazy or have Leica changed the file on the german web page back to ver. 1.09 :confused:

The file that's there now is m8-1_09.upd 4,545 KB, the file on Yousendit is m8-1_091.upd 4,564 KB

Bob.

Noticed the exact same issue when I tried to download it. Wondering if the server reflectors have not updated in all places yet, as I am not seeing v. 1.091 on any site, German or American or UK or Italy. I did tag Guy's YouSedIt link and pulled it down as v 1.091, so some folks are (were) seeing it. Very strange.

LJ

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some findings:

1. The silver bar above the review image is now black with a white line at the bottom. I like this because I asked Sean to tell Solms to make the silver bar black with white writing. We got this (someone important probably really asked).

2. One must now touch the shutter button before the play button will work. I think this means the top switch no longer turns on the camera on, that the shutter must be depressed to initiate startup. If you look thru the rf, turn on the camera (top switch), and touch the shutter, you will notice that it takes a few seconds for the indicator lights in the viewfinder to wake up.

3. I like the speed and iso readings showing up next to the picture number. This is a not-so-bad way to see what the iso was set at.

4. All my files now start with L109... instead of L100...

This old dog will just have to learn to touch the shutter button.

Noticed the exact same issue when I tried to download it. Wondering if the server reflectors have not updated in all places yet, as I am not seeing v. 1.091 on any site, German or American or UK or Italy. I did tag Guy's YouSedIt link and pulled it down as v 1.091, so some folks are seeing it. Very strange.

LJ

Thrilling: the new version 1.091 has been there, I downloaded it. But now it vanished in space…

Maybe we should be careful using it. Seems to be an error from Leica's site.

Best

Holger

Some findings:

2. One must now touch the shutter button before the play button will work. I think this means the top switch no longer turns on the camera on, that the shutter must be depressed to initiate startup. If you look thru the rf, turn on the camera (top switch), and touch the shutter, you will notice that it takes a few seconds for the indicator lights in the viewfinder to wake up.

This old dog will just have to learn to touch the shutter button.

Strange. I don't have to touch the shutter button for the play button to work.

You are not going crazy, but someone obviously is. It changed. I downloaded it from the German Leica page 30 minutes ago, and now it is gone.

I think this calls for an official statement from Leica both on their website and on this forum. I don't have any problem with play now on 1.91 - in fact it is much improved.

Wilson

Everyone, please use caution when installing firmware updates. There are many reasons why Leica may have pulled the firmware update from their site. Sure, its disappearance might be a technical glitch or a mistake on their part, but they may have also found, post-publishing, a serious issue in the update code.

I would strongly urge everyone to not install this update until it reappears on Leica's site. Guy, as a public service you might want to pull the YouSendIt link temporarily.

I don't want to be alarmist, but firmware is not something you want to be casual about. Mistakes in firmware can result in shipping your camera back to the factory.

Of course, it would be nice if Leica communicated what was going on to the public. :mad:

When I look in the Menu on my M8, the firmware is identified as 1.091.

The file I downloaded is called m8-1_091.upd.xml.

Bill,

Looks like Leica snapped the window shut for the rest of the folks who did not download it in time:( I did pul it from Guy's YouSendIt link, but I still do not have my camera back from Solms to test things.

Greatly appreciate your comments and any tests you can do. (Become a monster :D )

Did they include any menu system or other ways of compensating for cyan drift? any way to handle non-coded lenses? any way of telling if the battery thingie is fixed? anything else you, and others can share will help sait the frustrations a bit. :confused:;)

LJ

For your consideration, an in-camera JPEG from 1.091. My file numbers did not reset. The buttons all seem to work normally, at least as intuitively as they did before.

This was shot in mixed light, incandescent from above and daylight from the side. I'd say auto-white balance is much improved.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In the new 1.091 version, when I power on the camera, NONE of the rear buttons works until I touch the shutter button.

When I touch the shutter button, the red power light blinks and the rear buttons then work.

Bill

When I power on the M8, the red power light blinks once. All of the rear buttons work without touching the shutter button.

Guest guy_mancuso

I can pull it off if you guys want. It does run very stable though and i believe you can go back and reload 1.09.

Second thought i will pull it since we don't know what happened here , don't want to rock the boat but just for the record it was posted and it was there for at least a hour or so. Who knows what is going on . I have no clue on this ghost

Everyone, please use caution when installing firmware updates. There are many reasons why Leica may have pulled the firmware update from their site. Sure, its disappearance might be a technical glitch or a mistake on their part, but they may have also found, post-publishing, a serious issue in the update code.

I would strongly urge everyone to not install this update until it reappears on Leica's site. Guy, as a public service you might want to pull the YouSendIt link temporarily.

I don't want to be alarmist, but firmware is not something you want to be casual about. Mistakes in firmware can result in shipping your camera back to the factory.

Of course, it would be nice if Leica communicated what was going on to the public. :mad:

You are absolutely correct. Pulling the firmware was not good for consumer confidence.

But I enthusiastically installed mine upon seeing it, so I'm stuck :confused:

My prediction is that the file itself is fine, but they realized that it had the wron extension on it and pulled it until someone with a clue came to help. That said, my camera recognized the firmware with the .xml extension, and it installed cleanly.

I thought someone would comment on my office companions. Bunch of freakin' techies...:D

Hey, maybe this is not so unsual for some folks:D

(You probalby should have put a "1" in front of the "3800" just for a gag, or maybe an ink cart coming out from under a hat;)

LJ