Firmware v.1.91 for M8 available

Philippe D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I download with Macintosh Safari, I get a file named m8-1_091.upd.xml, Should I rename the file without the .xml extension.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

To be on the safe side, I would install the free Firefox browser - it is much better for most things than Safari anyway. It downloads files much more cleanly than Safari. On Macs you can sometimes think you have renamed files when you have not.

Wilson

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso
I would like some clarification here.

My formatted disk has DCIM and under that 100leica directories on it, and that's all.

I have a file called m8-1_091.upd.xml.

Do I put this in the root or in one of the above-mentioned directories?

tnx.

Bill need to get rid of the XML extention and yes put it on the root of the SD card. maybe i will do a you sendit . may make it easier for folks

I just installed mine, and the camera recognized the file even with the .xml extension.

The firmware seems to be fine. Dare I say that white balancing looks improved? I haven't tried it under tungsten light yet so I'm not sure but here in the office under daylight fluorescents it looks better than it did.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(Still waiting for a lens to arrive.)

The most important fix of all:

Did they fix the word "dependant"?

That stuck out like a sore thumb for me... and I'm in the visual arts...

:p

Not sure i understand Jack

I am looking at the instructions that I downloaded and even tho I can't understand the German, I can see the screen shot of the directory, and the update is in the root.

the screen shot shows that the xml extension is gone, so I'm going to strip my filename and try an update.

tnx.

Bill need to get rid of the XML extention and yes put it on the root of the SD card. maybe i will do a you sendit . may make it easier for folks

Guy,

If someone's browser is appending an .xml suffix from the Leica website, will not it do it from the yousendit website too. If one doesn't want to install Firefox, The only other way is to email it to people as an attached file but it may be too big for some email servers.

Wilson

OK.

1. download the m8-1_091.upd.xml file.

2. rename it, stripping off the .xml portion and copy this to a formatted SD card, in the root, next to the DCIM directory.

3. load the card in the camera; power on; hit the shutter button; hit the play button.

4. Follow the directions (say yes).

5. When it's done (about 1 min), you will be instructed to restart the camera.

Guy,

If someone's browser is appending an .xml suffix from the Leica website, will not it do it from the yousendit website too. If one doesn't want to install Firefox, The only other way is to email it to people as an attached file but it may be too big for some email servers.

Wilson

Download works on windoze just fine. IE 6 and IE 7. But I have seen this happen before (where the extension of the file is just wrong). I honestly don't know what causes it; can't be server-side if other folks can get it...

The 'Beam me up, Scotty' problem is fixed. Now when you take a picture after the camera sleeps it no longer has the rainbow beam pattern. It does not take the picture immediately as it did before, but rather waits a few seconds after the shutter is pressed. This is much better than what it did before. Also, I believe the tungsten white balance is much improved but need some more test shots to be sure.

dependent (adj., n.), dependant (n.)

The adjective is always spelled dependent and means “hanging from, contingent on, relying on or supported by, or addicted to”: The necklace has a large diamond with several smaller ones dependent from its setting. I am wholly dependent on my father’s monthly check. He is said to be drug-dependent. In American English the noun is nearly always spelled dependent too, as in He declared three dependents on his tax form, although occasionally you will see the noun spelled the British way, dependant.

Still with the "a"after the update, I'm afraid - try and be brave :-)