Firmware v.1.91 for M8 available

Philippe D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, John, I stand corrected.

On my monitor, the walls without filter look quite pink, the walls with filter nearly beige. Looks as if you chose a very good test for the camera's color balance. :)

--HC

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The walls are a beige color that has pinkish overtones, the filing cabinet is a grey-green and the cart next to it has a grey speckeled top. The white board should be white however where incomplete erasures have occurred there will either be some bluish areas or pinkish. The walls in the office are the same color as the living room. On my monitor, the photos without the IR filters are closer to what I see looking at the actual scene. In the second set the lighting was mixed with strong incandecent mixed with light from outside and in the living room it is all outside lighting.

John:

Have you tried the photos using ACR 3.6? I noticed with 1.091, there is no longer a choice of an embedded profile, just ACR 3.6 profile.

In the case of Capture one, I would assume it would need a new profile to match the firmware changes.

I have very similar results to John. There is an overall shift to green/cyan when the 486 filter is used. Both pictures with the transient firmware, daylight overcast single window, fixed shutter speed and aperture. Developed in C1 default/resized, balance 5200K, text added in CS3.The wall in the background is white. No excuse for the subject matter :D

It's noticable that the shot with the filter is 1/4 stop darker than that without. I wonder if Leica are going to make an allowance for this in the firmware although that could only be correct if the filter's used.

Bob.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

OK- I've been convinced to go back and re-load 1.09 since I didn't have any of the battery/dead camera issues that others have reported and didn't want any new problems with this 'unofficial' upgrade.

Did anyone else who reverted back notice that in the camera it asked if I wanted to upgrade to firmware '1.009'?

jeff

Here are the same images processed in LR with ACR 3.6 all default settings. First image is with filter and second is without.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comparing the two side by side on the same monitor, the conversions done with LR are much better that the ones in C1 or the JPG with all at default. The LR conversion with the filter is actually closer than the unfiltered though both are off. I did not change white balance or any settings. All are better than what 1.09 produces.

OK- I've been convinced to go back and re-load 1.09 since I didn't have any of the battery/dead camera issues that others have reported and didn't want any new problems with this 'unofficial' upgrade.

Did anyone else who reverted back notice that in the camera it asked if I wanted to upgrade to firmware '1.009'?

jeff

yes I did get the same message so I didn’t go back to 1.09 did you

regards, Steve

Guest guy_mancuso
Here are the same images processed in LR with ACR 3.6 all default settings. First image is with filter and second is without.

What you guys maybe seeing is and I am seeing it also is there must be a filter on and off switch and it was probably done on the Raw's and not done on the jpegs yet and the switch is not in the menu yet to operate.

Remember this is beta and still in testing mode and the general public never see's this firmware normally

Guest guy_mancuso

Here watch this under controlled light the first one is jpeg with filters on and the second from LR my final in Raw and WB but was really close just coming in . So apparently with filters on the switch is not on with jpeg but works nice without the filter so things are just not there yet to make the change in the menu but the DNG's are set for filters it seems. They just need to get this all sorted out BUT it is awesome that we will hopefully have this kind of control.

The DNGs are almost right with the filters but the JPGs are off with the filters. I suspect like the rest of you (and based at my peeking in the code) that there will be a switch to specify whether you have a filter on or not since there is no way for the camera to know this. Given that Leica recommends the filter for every lens I would hope the default setting for the switch is filters on and you only need to change it to off when you are using a lens that doesn't have a filter for some reason.

I wish someone would post some noise comparison shots between the two version of the firmware using both DNG and JPGs. I may try and do it this weekend. I have shots taken at different times under different lighting but I fear those would not give a fair result.

The DNGs are almost right with the filters but the JPGs are off with the filters. I suspect like the rest of you (and based at my peeking in the code) that there will be a switch to specify whether you have a filter on or not since there is no way for the camera to know this. Given that Leica recommends the filter for every lens I would hope the default setting for the switch is filters on and you only need to change it to off when you are using a lens that doesn't have a filter for some reason.

I wish someone would post some noise comparison shots between the two version of the firmware using both DNG and JPGs. I may try and do it this weekend. I have shots taken at different times under different lighting but I fear those would not give a fair result.

John,

I agree and I think, reluctantly I am going to have to go back to 1.09. I took some outside this morning and they definitely had that "bluegrass" look to them with the 486 filter. The alternative is just to leave the filter off. The colour fringing with the Biogon 21 is improved as is the colour balance on that lens with JPEG's and I will be sorry to lose that. I am going to try to induce some magenta cast without filter and see if that has changed. Done that and the quick answer is no - the 486 filter is still needed. See tests below all JPEG's.

Wilson

Hi Folks!

I'm getting ready to fly to Hawaii in a few hours for my Wedding / Honeymoon.

I just need to know what you would do if your set up is like mine..

I currently have the an M8 with the 91 firmware installed, a 28 2.0 asph non coded, a new non coded Noctilux, and a Coded 24 2.8

none of these lenses have the IR filter.

I'm planning on shooting everything Raw. and telling the M8 to ignore the Lens recognition.

Should I revert or Shoot and adjust in post?

thanks!

-matt

Hi Folks!

I'm getting ready to fly to Hawaii in a few hours for my Wedding / Honeymoon.

I just need to know what you would do if your set up is like mine..

I currently have the an M8 with the 91 firmware installed, a 28 2.0 asph non coded, a new non coded Noctilux, and a Coded 24 2.8

none of these lenses have the IR filter.

I'm planning on shooting everything Raw. and telling the M8 to ignore the Lens recognition.

Should I revert or Shoot and adjust in post?

thanks!

-matt

Matt,

I think I would revert. This was my very reluctant conclusion. I think 1.091 is just too beta at the moment. I had image numbering discrepancies this morning and the remaining number of images was wrongly displayed. What with the blue grass using a 486 filter, I decided it was time to go back. The alternative is to take 1.09 with you on a small SD card. As I said above, I don't think it is bad idea to do this as a matter of course. Reloading firmware can get you out of a lock up.

Wilson

Your Wedding!!!! moment of a lifetime for most......revert in case you loose it.

I would agree with Eoin - take a back up camera as well. It is called reverse Murphy's law. If you take a back up - you will not need it. Best of luck for the wedding.

Wilson