Sign in to follow this  
masjah

280/2.8 Apo Telyt R versions

Please can anyone tell me whether the non-modular (large unitary that is) 280/2.8 Apo Telyt R (up to 1996) is optically similar to the equivalent combination of head and focus module in the latest module system?

I have both the original 280 f2.8 and the current modular Telyt system that includes a 280 head and a 1x module for a 280 f2.8. I feel the optical performance of both lens are as good as it gets . Until I got the module system I also used the 1.4x Apo extender..which I can highly recommnend. The module system focus mount is improved and much faster,smoother and easier to fine tune . The advantage to the modular system is the ability to longer 280/400/560 or faster with the larger head 400(2.8)/560/800. You can get some real bargins on the original 280 2.8 and with the 1.4X you will have a nearly equivalent solution. Check out Erwin Putts site as he has written in more depth about your alternatives.

I have both the original 280 f2.8 and the current modular Telyt system that includes a 280 head and a 1x module for a 280 f2.8. I feel the optical performance of both lens are as good as it gets.

Having used both the original 280 f/2.8 APO and the 280 f/4 APO I can assure you that the 280/2.8's optical performance, while splendid, isn't as good as it gets.

Doug is correct, as usual. I had the opportunity to compare directly the older, non-modular 280/2.8 (version 2 with, the filter holder) with the modular 280/2.8. The colors were very similar, and the out-of-focus rendering was similar. However, the modular 280/2.8 was just a little bit sharper than the older model. Comparing the modular 280/2.8 and 280/4, the only 2 things that the 280/2.8 can do better than the 280/4 are the speed and its use as a heavy weapon

. I'm not saying that the 280/2.8 is a bad lens. It's a great lens, and I do use it all the time, mostly as a 400/4 with the 1.4X focus module.

Doug is correct, as usual. I had the opportunity to compare directly the older, non-modular 280/2.8 (version 2 with, the filter holder) with the modular 280/2.8. The colors were very similar, and the out-of-focus rendering was similar. However, the modular 280/2.8 was just a little bit sharper than the older model. Comparing the modular 280/2.8 and 280/4, the only 2 things that the 280/2.8 can do better than the 280/4 are the speed and its use as a heavy weapon . I'm not saying that the 280/2.8 is a bad lens. It's a great lens, and I do use it all the time, mostly as a 400/4 with the 1.4X focus module.

Peter I have no experience with the 280/4 and will concede its superiority to those that have used it . While I need to do some real side by side testing , I think my older 280 f 2.8 beats my modular version. I can see a noticable difference with the 1.4 module and the 280/400 head.. I don t know if you can beat it but I sure do not require any improvement. The 280 head and the 1X just doesn t seem that great compared to my older 280/2.8 or the 400/4 modular. Would be interested in your experience.

Roger,

I had the older 280/2.8 and modular 280/2.8 simultaneously for about a day. I did run some direct comparisons, but not an extensive series. I thought the two were very similar. If anything I would give the resolution edge to the newer model. I do agree that the 400/4 configuration is excellent. Definitely beats the 280/2.8 (either model) + 1.4X APO extender. If your 280mm head works well with the 1.4X focusing module and yet you're not happy with the 280/2.8 configuration, then perhaps you should have the 1X module looked at and have it CLA'd. Do you have the 400mm head? If so, how does the 1X module look on the larger head? The 400/2.8 should be spectacular wide open. If it doesn't look that way, then the 1X module definitely has a problem.

GL,

Peter

Roger,

I had the older 280/2.8 and modular 280/2.8 simultaneously for about a day. I did run some direct comparisons, but not an extensive series. I thought the two were very similar. If anything I would give the resolution edge to the newer model. I do agree that the 400/4 configuration is excellent. Definitely beats the 280/2.8 (either model) + 1.4X APO extender. If your 280mm head works well with the 1.4X focusing module and yet you're not happy with the 280/2.8 configuration, then perhaps you should have the 1X module looked at and have it CLA'd. Do you have the 400mm head? If so, how does the 1X module look on the larger head? The 400/2.8 should be spectacular wide open. If it doesn't look that way, then the 1X module definitely has a problem.

GL,

Peter

Excellent suggestion as I have the full set. I think Putts review indicated that the 1.4 module with the 280/400 head is best in class.. so I was trying to determine if I am expecting too much from the 280/400 and the 1X. Time to get testing. Thanks

I did the tests yesterday and did direct side by side compares in Lightroom. As the predicted (1) the modular 280/1X combination was slight lightly better than the older 280/2.8...keep in mind that I was really happy with the older 280/2.8 (2) the 1.4 module was better than the 1X with both the 280/400 head and the 400/560 head (3) the 2X ,400/560/800 head combination was exceptional....your long lens skills will be challanged. The 1.4X extender with the 280/2.8 was not as good wide open ..but improved considerably by stopping down 1 or 2 stops. I think expectations maybe as important as the actual results because your final output and post processing may make this splitting hairs. Overall I was favorably impressed with any of the modular system options wide open.. the older 280 2.8 was still really good ..with 1.4 ..maybe stopping down 1 stop would be necessary.

Roger,

Good to hear corroborating data. Glad to hear that your 1X module is fine, too.

Peter

I've found with these lenses that technique is all important in getting the best out of them. They are capable of incredible sharpness if camera shake from tripod movement and mirror slap can be controlled. Some of the pics in the link in my signature show the gear I've found useful.

Is anyone using the new Wimberley head with these modular lenses? How is it working?

Rick.

I've found with these lenses that technique is all important in getting the best out of them. They are capable of incredible sharpness if camera shake from tripod movement and mirror slap can be controlled. Some of the pics in the link in my signature show the gear I've found useful.

Is anyone using the new Wimberley head with these modular lenses? How is it working?

Rick.

I agree completely. I have the V2 Wimberley head and a Gitzo 1548. While this combination is as steady as I have ever used , the extreme magnification makes technique important to achieving best results. I have been shooting Baseball (Spring Training) on a 5 series monopod ....280 head and 1X or 1.4X modules ....3rd day and just starting to get it right. Critical DOF at best 1-2ft and camera motion in shots at 1/1000 sec. The results are worth it.

Roger, have you put the large lens head on the V2 Wimberley? It would have to be a tight fit.

I've found the Arca Swiss B2 to be solid and stable enough (especially with the Manfrotto Long Lens Support), but it doesn't have the balance or ease of use that I imagine I'd find with the Wimberley.

Thanks everyone for the further discussion.

I think I'm moving towards a 280/4 ROM. I've got a 180/2.8 Apo + 2X Apo Extender, so that would then give me 180, 280, 360, 540. I don't do nature photography, but I've latterly had the need for something longer even than 360 to shoot distant architectural details, such as roof bosses high up. I would anticipate using it always with my Manfrotto 055MF plus gear head - attached to the lens tripod mount of course. With a tripod and static subjects I could live without the extra stop. I would miss the possibility of using the big one for self-defence though!

It fits with the Wimberely V2 ..but I have not used it except for testing last weekend. I think the large head and the 1.4X or 2X are both too heavy for the my RRS B55 head. Not sure but I thought the older V2 of the Wimberley head might be slightly larger. I originally thought the large head and the 1X would be the most used combination(400/2.8) but now I think the shallow DOF may make the small head and the 1.4X (400/4) a better choice.

John, for your purposes I think the 280/4 would be an excellent choice. I have used my long lenses for telephoto landscapes - they can be very special images. A distant tree against the evening light, cobwebs streaming in the breeze ...

Roger, thanks for this news on the large lens head fitting in the Wimberley V2. I've emailed directly with the Wimberley folks but they weren't able to nail the question. You have! :-) It sounds like you're well set with heads already, but let me add that the Arca B2 head is ideal for the modular lens system. Very solid - though not as quick to aim nor with the same up and down aiming flexibility as the Wimberley.

Rick Thanks for the info ...I have just seen a new model of the Acratech V2 head that has a Gimbel option...being shown at PMA ...supposed to balance the Canon 600mm so that it feels weightless. Its on a brief youTube video from the floor so I can not see how it works..its on the dpreview.com PMA report. The Wimberly full gimbal will be the best but its cumbersome to carry especially for the small head .

That was interesting. I like the Acratech model for long lenses. So compact and light. And flexible in the field. Looks like it'll work in much the same way as an Arca Swiss B2, but for a quarter the price and without getting jammed up from dust. Thanks for this tip Roger! I'm gonna go watch it again.