DMR battery rebuild & Quantum Battery cable

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received my spare DMR battery pack from Michael Bass after his rebuild

6929707229_4c15bc04e5_z.jpg

Leica DMR battery rebuilt with Sanyo LION cells by Michael Bass by s4sargent, on Flickr

Michael also supplied a DMR to Quantum Battery 1+ power cable which features a very efficient voltage step-up module

6929810271_dec332a307_z.jpg

Michael Bass DMR Power Cable for Quantum Battery 1+ by s4sargent, on Flickr

Michael rebuilt and dispatched the battery pack on the same day he received it and it is now 'on charge' after shipping from USA to UK.

Michael was very helpful following my initial enquiry; Emails were answered promptly and various options available were very well explained.

I now have two usable DMR battery packs plus the Quantum Battery 1+ solution which should be sufficient for my needs ... and my DMR has been given a new lease of life.

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

Excellent news then :)

Yes ... and the Michael Bass DMR power cable for the Quantum Battery 1+ is working fine. I have two Quantum 1 batteries so between them s/b good for at least 1500 exposures between recharges. The Quantum 1 solution is particularly suitable for studio work and will help to extend the lives of the DMR Li-ion batteries - because the Li-ion cells will now be subject to fewer charge/discharge cycles. The Quantum 1 batteries have lead paste electrolyte and battery packs are reasonably lightweight - so they can be carried on my shoulder or hung on a tripod. When the Quantum battery cells eventually become inefficient they can be replaced but my original Quantum 1 is still working well after 20 years. I give it an occasional slow 'three day' reconditioning charge as distinct from a normal 12 hour charge.

I also have Quantum 2 batteries which are used with my Metz 45 flashguns. Michael Bass can also provide DMR power cables which incorporate a voltage reduction module for use with the Quantum 2.

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

6788542996_79351725e9_z.jpg

Amazing 25 year old Quantum Battery 1 hooked up to Leica R9/DMR via Michael Bass 'voltage step-up' power cable by s4sargent, on Flickr

The original Quantum Battery 1 which still takes a full charge after 25 years use - but I think it deserves a new set of cells this year.

This is not the 'Quantum Battery 1+' shown in the previous photo - the '1+' purchased secondhand is approx 10 years old and it also takes a full charge.

One advantage of the Quantum 1 battery is that it has two 6v output sockets thus can be used to power both a camera and a flashgun - and when powering a flashgun the recycle time is reduced compared to using eg 4 AA cells .. and the number of flash cycles is considerably more too.

The refurbished DMR battery pack illustrated in the previous photo is reaching its optimum charge state after 3 charge/discharge cycles. After the third recharge followed by 100 shutter actuations the battery charge indicator was still showing 'full' .

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...