The use of profiles etc.

DES

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DES, I'd read this, although it refers to CS3, it should help... (MAC, with windows XP tips at the end)

Photoshop CS3 - Print with Colour Management

then for CS5 ...

http://www.computer-darkroom.com//ps12_colour/ps12_1.htm

John

Edited by jpattison

• 2 weeks later...
Five points:

First, the folks at Image Print advised against using ProPhoto. They suggested AdobeRGB was the way to output files for printing. They indicated that most printers could not handle the wide gamut of ProPhoto. I would not use sRGB, which should only be used for photographs that will be viewed on the web.

Second, again the ImagePrint folks pointed this out, many printer calibration problems are do to the brightness being set to high. Do some tests dropping the brightness target in the profile 5 to 10 points at a time. If your monitor is too bright, your prints will most likely be too dark for the simple reason that when you think you have it just right on the screen, the printer is going to undershoot in terms of brightness. I would also begin by using the other recommended monitor default settings when calibrating.

Third, experiment with the Relative and Perceptual rendering intents. These can make a difference, particularly if you are printing on papers that use matte black inks. This is a color gamut issue. Softproofing can be helpful here.

Fourth, I am not suggesting you must make the investment to get great prints, but the ImagePrint software has been impressive in terms of the consistency of the profiles. I have printed the same photograph on paper made by three different manufacturers and I am unable to see any difference in the colors, contrast, or any other aspect of the print. Of course, if you print on a matte vs glossy surface, the paper will look and reflect differently, but the colors and contrast are the same in my experience.

Having said that, ImagePrint has some weaknesses worth noting. They are too willing to rest on the quality of their profiles. The interface is badly designed. The software needs better alignment tools. And when the print cue backs up, you often have to shut down the printer and the computer to clear a job that is stuck in it. That is just plain sloppy.

Fifth. Once you get yourself calibrated, never change anything. Calibration is a frustrating and time consuming issue. I sympathize. Unfortunately, the passage of time will require that you recalibrate on occasion.

Hope that helps.

Jack Siegel

+1 My prolab told me to set the camera to RGB, ACR to RGB, Photoshop to RGB, and send them files to print using RGB. They are a Kodak certified printer, the only one in Illinois and they deliver the best prints I ever have seen.

SRGB is for the web. Pro Foto is larger color space than papers available.

Calibrate monitor and soft proof. You will get what you see.