Does anyone know what the screw in the hot shoe does?

barjohn

Not sure "What it does" but there has been a screw like that on every M since the M3, I think. All my M3's have it. Also a Sekonic meter I have that comes with an attachment to go into a hot shoe has a notch to fit around that screw and all the old MC/MR Leica meters have the same notch.

Take it out and see what happens!!!!!

Hot shoes - or more properly called accesory shoes (invented by Leitz, not for a flash but for an accesory viewfinder) never had that strip of metal at the end. The screw served as a stop to prevent the accesory sliding off forward.

Danni

Now I won't have to worry about the fabic of the universe becoming forever unraveled:D What a relief! Traditions die hard, just think what it must have added to the cost of the camera, something like $4,695 just to uphold tradition, the other $100 went into the red dot.

I agree, the screw serves as a stop when you slide items into the shoe. It also secures the front of the metal plate which wraps around the back and extends to each side to provide a spring arm under each side.

BTW, if you find items are tough to insert into the shoe run a soft pencil along the inside at each side to let the graphite lubricate the shoe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was contemplating taking mine out, but I was afraid that the fabric of the universe might become unraveled.

I'll let John try first... :eek:

Unscrew it, if You like... nothing happens apart a tiny hole..: as others have coorectly said, it's simply a "stopper" for inserted devices, useful when the accessory shoes used to be simply "mounted on" top of the bodies and not "gently inserted" like in M8: the tiny screw has so became part of the "industry standard" accessory shoe: devices existed (for instance, a small Gossen exposure meter I have) that had rounded chines to fit the screw head...

I am sorry to say, but you will may cause serious harm by removing the screw. Doing so will create a Black Hole! anyone familiar with even rudimentary physics will know what they are capable of. I hope I was not to late with this warning...

Guest guy_mancuso

Well it holds a frame in place but actually it is a frame that not sure really what function it serves. Try it you won't hurt anything TRUST ME. LOL

The flash does go in further and works fine. Hmmm

Damn don't drop the screw like this idiot did , now I can't find it. LOL

Guy - Just switch the light on and you should be able to find it. I warned you that letting the darkness out could be a problem.

You wouldn't listen. You just wouldn't listen.

.............Chris

Guest guy_mancuso

LOL well it is somehwere around here i got on my hands and knees searching but i think a call to Leica repair is easier. LOL

have to move 40 bags that i need to sell. LOL

I have Domke J2 and 3

A&A holiday paris that i need to sell brand new the J3 and A&A.

Looking for a bag that is 12 x8 x 7 inside dimensions without outside pockets and flap