Summicron 50mm Latest Version

Robert Seeney

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love it.:D "You talk about the flare test, you sleep with the fishes."

I suspect that one of the greatest problems to overcome with a standardised flare response test would be normalising the source of the flare because I've noted that different light sources produce different flare response in the same lens. So colour temperature, source strength, beam width, angle of incidence, beam shape, and source constance are some of the factors that are likely to produce sufficient variables to complicate such a test to render the results unreliable. On top of that there would be the difficulty of separating weak veiling flare from other causes of low contrast.

Not an impossible test to devise, I feel sure, but certainly complex if reliable results are desired.

Pete.

I agree completely with what you say. The origins of flare are very complicated, and all hangs on the test conditions. And the first condition is that they are standardised.

One important reason why flare is not discussed much is the difficulty of quantifying it. The public reaction is "if it isn't a number, it doesn't exist". And it has to be one single number that tells us all about the goodness and the badness. Conversely, any single number, however spurious, will be accepted as Divine Revelation. Like the IQ.

The old man who flares occasionally

Not at all.

I don't understand this comment. My 2/28asph is VERY flare resistant, all in all it is in the same league as my 50asph and other modern Leica lenses. I haven't done any scientific tests, but I have simply never had any flare issues with the 28asph.

The one lens I do have flare issues with is my v4 35mm Summicron. Still love that lens though.

Andy

• Like 1

The one lens I do have flare issues with is my v4 35mm Summicron. Still love that lens though.

Andy

A serious question: having never used a 35 Summicron (I have 35 Summilux FLE & 35 Summarit) what is so special about the v4, or is it really heretical to question the position of the 'Bokeh King'?

Mark

Edited by MarkP

... what is so special about the [summicron-M 35 mm] v4 ...?

There's nothing special about it—but some think there was. The most-special and most-desirable (from a user's viewpoint, as opposed to a collector's) 35 mm Leica M lenses are those you already have.

A serious question: having never used a 35 Summicron (I have 35 Summilux FLE & 35 Summarit) what is so special about the v4, or is it really heretical to question the position of the 'Bokeh King'?

Mark

I have a 35 asph and 35 Mk4 at home, the Mk4 looks a little better to my eyes regarding Bokeh, but it is to my eyes marginal. Less marginal than the softness in the corners and the slight reduction in contrast in the center.

If I didn't have one I would buy the asph, but like my brother I wouldn't feel a desperate need to upgrade

They are both nice IMO (One is my brother's on loan)

I have also heard that stopped down the boken improves further, I havent tried tbh. Seems you will have less bokeh to view at say 35 with f4 unless your subject is very close

Mark

And here is a serious answer: I don't care much about bokeh (I have seen some CV lenses that are notably harsh in this respect, but apart from those few examples that stand out negatively, I have never paid much attention to bokeh). Which means that I like the v4 35 Summicron not for its bokeh (the bokeh is not to dislike either), but because it has produced some of the finest images I have taken so far. I own this lens for many years now, and the results still surprise me every now and then. My copy is extremly sharp at normal apertures (there is notable softness in the edges at full aperture though), produces amazing detail and wonderful colors, contrast seems to be just right, and there is a certain, hard to describe 3D-effect to the images which results in an almost life-like appearance. And did I mention that the lens is just so compact? Which also means there is no intrusion into the viewfinder's fov, even with the hood mounted. Last but not least, for some reason vignetting is significantly less than with its successor, the 35asph (which I also happen to own). For all these reasons, I use the v4 considerably more than the 35asph.

Andy

• Like 1