M8 - still a good choice?

BlackDE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had an M9 and I have decided that 'for my style' I prefer the added IR from the M8. I shoot in B&W 99% of the time and the fact that it is slower doesn't bother me either.

I hope Leica don't go adding gimmicks to the new M body, such as video, IMO they should stick with the tradition and simply improve the sensor or add maybe film modes to replicate various film types.

Personally I enjoy the M8 and see no need to 'upgrade' I also shoot with an R8/DMR and that is awesome, for me, but it's a case of horses for courses and depends on your personal needs.

• Like 1

I own 2 M8.2s and don't consider them any less 'sophisticated' for my picture making purposes than the M9. In fact, I prefer the M8.2 for reasons stated in other posts, having nothing to do with cost. The camera is just one tool in the chain to make prints as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff

Jeff, perhaps I should correct my earlier statement by saying 'more expensive' rather than 'more sophisticated'. Agreed, the M8 is certainly sophisticated enough, and for those of us who have used older manual focus cameras in the past, the M8 is a real joy to use. Still manual focus and all the vintage feel, but with the advantage of instant review and no film processing costs.

While I'm certainly happy with the M8, I won't go so far as to claim that I wouldn't lay down the money for an M9 if I had lots of money and could comfortably afford it, as well as a whole host of other lenses. But for me right now, a mortgage and saving up is simply much more important. At the end of the day, I'm only an enthusiast, a very light user.

A lot of camera gear on the market today is of exceedingly high quality that it embarrasses even my best efforts. Really, almost any camera on the market should be sufficient for me. But of course there's GAS and equipment lust. I'll be the first on this thread to admit to equipment fondling. Anybody else want to join me? :D

Back to photography however. The photographic shoot with the M8 that I'm really looking forward to, is going to be the pre-wedding session for a cousin when I holiday in April. In the past I've only done amateur wedding sessions with an SLR, so this will be a whole new experience. I do lament the demise of one of my favourite DSLRs recently, but the M8 might just fill the slot.

The M8 has been introduced in 2007, I believe, and is still expensive today. Is it still a good choice?

Please give your thoughts. Thx.

Bernhard

I bought one off from a forum member with less than 2000 activations, I was a bit sceptical initially but now love the M8 (got a M9 as well).

Mine is a S/N 3198xxx, shutter so far ok and I hope it stays this way. Shutter noise is a non issue for me, especially with discrete settings, reminds me a bit of my M6 days, not much louder anyways.

Is it a good camera? I'd say yes, some samples at Bernd Kunze

• Like 1

Fits the hand comfortably. Straightforward menus. Simple and direct manual controls.

Excellent pictures in color up to ISO 640 and predictably increasing color noise above that.

Objectionable noise? Depends on your tastes. Excellent B&W all through the ISO range and in the upper ISO ranges the noise resembles film grain.

Easy to focus accurately at wider than 90mm, and with a viewfinder magnifier either Leica or Asian it is easy to focus on lenses longer than 90mm. And above all, superb workmanship and quality of build.

To me, it is a no-brainer, and after years of electronic bells and whistles contained in the other brands, the straightforward no compromise design of the Leica forced me to become a better photographer. It is an enthusiast's camera plain and simple.

Expensive? Depends on your pocket book, but in the end a $1500 Nikon DSLR body will be worth $200 in five years and your Leica will still command over $1000 to $1500 in the used market.

• Like 1

Have only seldom used my DSLR since I got one.

This represents how I feel about my M8 - I only get my DSLR out when I need to shoot macro or if I'm shooting events (when I have my M8 for wides & DSLR with a tele).

Rarely do I find that I need ISO higher than 640, but if I do I can usually get a pretty clean image using light noise reduction in post-processing.

No issues with the crop factor myself, I've just learned to deal with it and don't have a problem, even when alternating between my M4-P and M8.

Ultimately, your choice of camera comes down to the way you like to work - the M-system isn't for everyone and some people are much better suited to a DSLR-style of shooting. For me, I find that using a rangefinder with minimal controls and manual focus causes me to have a greater focus on content and composition, thereby resulting in images that - whether "better" or not - provide me with a greater level of satisfaction.

• Like 1

Ultimately, your choice of camera comes down to the way you like to work - the M-system isn't for everyone and some people are much better suited to a DSLR-style of shooting. For me, I find that using a rangefinder with minimal controls and manual focus causes me to have a greater focus on content and composition, thereby resulting in images that - whether "better" or not - provide me with a greater level of satisfaction.

Ditto. I love the simplified menus, how you can only leave the shutter speed to the computer and must focus & select aperture yourself, the smaller size and slower pace of shooting, and the quality of the sensor & lenses. Yes, I would kill for a few stops of ISO performance, mine has banding from 640 on and I can't stand it, and the batteries last 17 seconds in the cold and wet.

No way the M8 will replace my D700 when it comes to shooting motorsports or going in for a loosely defined work assignment or shooting parties at nearly pitch black. But almost without exception all the images I'm most proud of come from the silly German relic, and every time I give the M8 a chance against the obvious choice of DSLR, I get something interesting. It might not be a great image, but at least I learn something.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quoted for truth (or at least agreement...)

Ditto. I love the simplified menus, how you can only leave the shutter speed to the computer and must focus & select aperture yourself, the smaller size and slower pace of shooting, and the quality of the sensor & lenses. Yes, I would kill for a few stops of ISO performance, mine has banding from 640 on and I can't stand it, and the batteries last 17 seconds in the cold and wet.

No way the M8 will replace my D700 when it comes to shooting motorsports or going in for a loosely defined work assignment or shooting parties at nearly pitch black. But almost without exception all the images I'm most proud of come from the silly German relic, and every time I give the M8 a chance against the obvious choice of DSLR, I get something interesting. It might not be a great image, but at least I learn something.

Well, I was looking around during lunch time and found this MASSIVE document that is pretty blunt regarding the M8:

The Leica M8 Skinny

A lot of the points are definitely valid, and I'd have to say that people spending $5K on the M8 in its 'heyday' have a real reason to be unhappy. If anyone has a few HOURS, consider having a read and some of it is really humorous.

Fortunately I bought the M8 second hand a number of years down the track which bestowed some advantages:

1. I was fully aware of the M8's quirks and 'issues' BEFORE I bought it. And even with this knowledge I still happily handed over the money for it. Until today, still no buyer's remorse.

2. I got it much cheaper than the original list price and lightly used, which would have gotten the camera past any failures it might have had when fresh out of the box. The seller wanted something else, making his M8 setup an absolute steal.

I'm a real sucker for the underdog, 'unloved' and 'pre-loved' goods, hence why I frequent the opportunity stores looking for goodies. Likewise, I like the M8 despite its flaws. Take an 'unloved' camera to produce some well-loved photos...and that's where the real magic is.

• Like 1

Well, I was looking around during lunch time and found this MASSIVE document that is pretty blunt regarding the M8:

The Leica M8 Skinny

A lot of the points are definitely valid, and I'd have to say that people spending $5K on the M8 in its 'heyday' have a real reason to be unhappy. If anyone has a few HOURS, consider having a read and some of it is really humorous.

Fortunately I bought the M8 second hand a number of years down the track which bestowed some advantages:

1. I was fully aware of the M8's quirks and 'issues' BEFORE I bought it. And even with this knowledge I still happily handed over the money for it. Until today, still no buyer's remorse.

2. I got it much cheaper than the original list price and lightly used, which would have gotten the camera past any failures it might have had when fresh out of the box. The seller wanted something else, making his M8 setup an absolute steal.

I'm a real sucker for the underdog, 'unloved' and 'pre-loved' goods, hence why I frequent the opportunity stores looking for goodies. Likewise, I like the M8 despite its flaws. Take an 'unloved' camera to produce some well-loved photos...and that's where the real magic is.

This exactly describes my way to the M8 as well. I knew what the quirks are, bit my nails until it arrived and got a pleasent surprise....

My guess is that the M8 is the most undervalued camera I ever owned...

• Like 1

The Leica M8 Skinny

this article misses the point. the M8 is a hand made and unique way of working

the pictures it produces are spectacular

it's not meant to compete with a canon s100

I have had three and they have all been completely reliable

and no, it doesn't have smile detection ..

this article misses the point. the M8 is a hand made and unique way of working

the pictures it produces are spectacular

it's not meant to compete with a canon s100

I have had three and they have all been completely reliable

and no, it doesn't have smile detection ..

My smile detection is when I see someone smile while looking thru the viewfinder it probably happened. I detected it.

Whatever you want to say about the M8 (and i´ve had 2 and both needed to visit Solms) this camera has given me by far the most joyous image taking experience I have ever had with any camera period. And the images it knocks out still bring a smile to my face.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I bought a used m8 upgraded to m8.2 and it still is a very good choice... i stopped looking for other cams at dpreview or where ever. the last time when i had the same feeling was when i bought a m6 and sold all my nikon gear..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

My guess is that the M8 is the most undervalued camera I ever owned...

Good point here. I've yet to grow really close to the M8 because it has not been heavily-used at this point. It replaced a Canon 1Ds MKI which I dearly loved. On the topic of 'undervalued cameras' however, the Fuji S5 pro is the most undervalued in my bag. It didn't really see the light of day when the 1Ds was around, but on a recent holiday, the Fuji and M8 really shone and brought back all the joys of photography once more.

I bought the Fuji S5 NEW from the local shops because it was absolutely dirt cheap. They were probably clearing stock. It's got lovely colours and dynamic range, but sadly may be the last DSLR to come from Fuji. In case anyone is reading this and is actually 'on the fence' about the Fuji S5, go ahead and GET IT!

I bought a used m8 upgraded to m8.2 and it still is a very good choice... i stopped looking for other cams at dpreview or where ever. the last time when i had the same feeling was when i bought a m6 and sold all my nikon gear..

Outstanding imagery!

Could you tell us what lenses you used for these, esp. the two excellent portraits? They look lovely.

Excellent shots!

Bernhard