Batteries again

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ohhhh!!!!

Brain Lock! I got locked in on linking your 'meter' comment with 'light meter' and forgot about the battery meter issues people keep encountering!

Thx

RLW

Richard, this had been discussed in length here and on RFF already. I happen to have used 4 third party batteries from different makers which all behave the same way more or less and i've got the feeling that all other posters had the same experience as mine. Reason why i'm much interested by what JeTexas and DWatts said above as it is the first time i read this. I trust them 100% of course but i happen to own a couple of DSTEs (http://tinyurl.com/7a3vr9t) already and they behave the way i describe i must say. More precisely, the battery meter of the camera remains 100% full all the way until the camera stops which is not very useful to say the least. Now i've just ordered one sample from BestBatt.com and will report accordingly.

... i happen to own a couple of DSTEs (http://tinyurl.com/7a3vr9t) already and they behave the way i describe i must say. More precisely, the battery meter of the camera remains 100% full all the way until the camera stops which is not very useful to say the least.

Interesting, I have one of the DSTE batteries, and it functions perfectly, with the battery indication displaying usage just like the original Leica battery does.

When I got my M8 in 2009, it came with 4 batteries: 2 OEM, 2 non-oem. I quickly realised the non-oems were done for: they lasted for 7 shots or so when fully charged. I recently put them up to be disposed properly.

Then I used my 2 OEMs quite, well not happily, but smiling enough. The batteries have a tendency to hate cold (which it is here Finland), go from "Full" to 2/3 and 1/3 very very quickly, and always deplete completely when doing the dark frame reduction on a long exposure shot.

When my father got his X1, we decided to order some new batteries. Our local camera shop insisted we get off-brand batteries, but after a half year wait, they hadn't found any. I wasn't too fond of the idea in the first place: why save a few euros on batteries when the camera and lens cost 2000 euros each (used!)? We ended up shopping elsewhere for OEM batteries.

• 3 weeks later...
Why not just buy another spare Leica battery if you need one?:confused:. Expensive as they are, compared to camera and lenses the cost is peanuts.

This was the first response to the OP, and IMHO, the only one really needed (except perhaps this repetition).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

For me, the problem with "clone" batteries is that some are good and some are not so good, and one way to inform your decision is to disassemble the battery.

Years ago the price of an Olympus BLM-1 battery (used in the E-1 and other DSLR bodies) in Europe was quite high. One gent ran some actual tests:

BLM-1 Lithium-Ion Clone Battery Tests

I include this link not for the specifics of BLM-1 batteries, but to show some of the problems related to construction, internal layout, protection circuits, and cell capacity.

The conclusion was that some clones are as good (or maybe a bit better) than the OLY batteries, but the consumer had no way, short of surgery or possible meltdown, to determine which was better. Batches of the same brand/model clone may be different.

As has been stated before, the price of a genuine Leica battery, even with the depreciation of the M8 body, is pretty small. I choose not to mess around.

Batteries DTSE for me are wasting money and time (separately, my bad mood). I purchased one 3 months ago at 3-4 uses, she lost all their charge. I sent a video to show that the battery is not recharged, so they kindly sent me another free shipping. The latter endured about 10 refills. Great! No! Now she is dead. I just purchased one in bestbatt and I'll see if it's better than the DTSE.

Batteries DTSE for me are wasting money and time (separately, my bad mood). I purchased one 3 months ago at 3-4 uses, she lost all their charge. I sent a video to show that the battery is not recharged, so they kindly sent me another free shipping. The latter endured about 10 refills. Great! No! Now she is dead. I just purchased one in bestbatt and I'll see if it's better than the DTSE.

How many clone failures will you tolerate before buying the genuine article?

Regards, Jim

How many clone failures will you tolerate before buying the genuine article?

Regards, Jim

After consulting my Abacus, tabulating all factors, and enumerating and classifying the variables pertinent to me: 2.3 failures would be my personal clone failure fatigue indicator!

:-D

Just Kidding!

You make a good point Jim.

Richard in Michigan