D-Lux 2 memory card problem

cwinter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Dlux 2, (which I know nobody uses any longer), and recently it started giving me an error message regarding the memory card. I naturally assumed the SD card I had in there was corrupted and bought a new one. The new one gives the same error message. It is as if the camera doesn't recognise that there is a memory card inserted. After trying to take a photo it displays 'write error, please check the card'

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong and if it's easily fixable? I'm pretty sure the camera is just so old it has died.

I'm not that keen on paying £100 or whatever it will cost to have it repaired if it's too complicated seeing as I don't really use any camera ever really. I'm terribly unphotogenic and have had an aversion to photos since I was a young child as a result, but I would like to have a usable camera again so that when I'm on holiday or whatever I can oblige others and take photos for them.

Thanks! For all I know it could be something simple! But I doubt it..

It's possible that frying of the contacts has deposited a thin insulating film over the contacts inside the camera or on the SD card or both. The easiest way to remove the film is to cut a suitably sized piece of latex from a disposable latex glove, wrap it around the SD card and insert it into the camera and extract it a few times. Make sure that the latex is as thin as possible and don't force it into the camera if it doesn't want to go in. In that case use something thinner than the SD card such as a table knife. A non-lubricated condom could also be used.

Even if this doesn't turn out to be the problem it's good 'housekeeping' for your D-Lux 2.:)

Pete.

• 4 years later...

I still use my D-Lux 2, as in Sheringham in the rain this week when I wouldn't want my M8 to get wet.  It is old now but still produces good results, in some ways I prefer its rendition to the D-Lux 4 although the latter's features are better.

Please does anyone know if it can take a bigger SD card than 2GB?

Thanks

Matthew

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 years later...