Sign in to follow this  
Giacomo.B

Summicron 40mm f2 vs Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1,4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello i would like an inexpensive 40mm for my M8, which of these two, Summicron/Rokkor 40mm f2 or Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1,4, do you think the best?

Giacomo

Difficult to be sure due to sample variation at CV but the 40/1.4 is said to be very soft at f/1.4 and to suffer from focus shift at f/2.8 and on. I have no experience with it though. If you read French, see Jean-Marie Sepulchre, page 177. Some good photogs are happy with the 40/1.4 though.

Otherwise i own both M-Rokkor (for Minolta CLE) and Summicron-C. The Rokkor has less flare due to multicoating, as opposed to the Summicron-C which flares more or less like the Summicron-M 35 from the same period (v4). Otherwise they are very close. The Rokkor has a bit yellowish tint natively but it is difficult to notice and it disappears easily in PP. The Summicron-C is supposed to have focus problems with M bodies due to its sloping focus cam but i don't buy into this story personally as i've got three samples of it and none had the least issue with either my film Ms or R-D1 & M8.2. On the contrary, my Rokkor back focuses a lot unfortunately. Must come from my sample i guess as it is not a reported problem with this lens AFAIK.

My Summicron 40C focuses fine on my M9. I don't have the 40 Nokton, but do have the 35 Nokton 1.4, and my sample is very good. At f2 I like it better than my Summicron 35 (v3) at f2.0 - sharper and less vignetting. Indeed, there may be sample variation, but at the cost of the Nokton it isn't much risk.

My CV 35/1.4 "SC" has a lot of focus shift at f/2.8 and on as well. I use it only at f/1.4 and f/2 where it is slightly sharper than the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph (last version). The CV "SC" flares a lot though, even more than the late Summilux pre-asph.

I would not buy a Voigtlander lens without testing it first. If the lens suffers from focus shift it is unfortunately useless. My M-Rokkor 40/2 is spot on my M8, haven't heard about anyone with focus shift problems (in contrast with Voigtlander lenses). However, I've had some very good experience with Voigtlander lenses as well, so when they work they're usually great!

Both the Summicron 40 & Rokkor 40 are far superior! I own both. The Rokkor was newer coatings & handles flare better. They are both gems. On an M8 the entire viewfinder is an almost perfect match for framing. If you like film, as I do, an inexpensive CL & either lens is perfect for close in street shooting.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...On an M8 the entire viewfinder is an almost perfect match for framing....

You mean the entire 35mm frame perhaps?

I would not buy a Voigtlander lens without testing it first. If the lens suffers from focus shift it is unfortunately useless.

Aperture related focus shift is an aspect of the design of the lens, not an ingredient of sample variation from one lens to another in a product line. All lenses have focus shift to a greater or lesser degree.

Steve

voigtlander is tack sharp no focus shift have had this lens for a while and matches up nicely to my summicron 35mm f2

Hi, i have a Voigtlander 40/1.4, with my M8.

I like it. As said a little focus shift at 2 and 4, then less.

It cost me 200$, so i didn't hesitate. I modify it to bring the 35 frame on the VF ( very easy)

I use it a lot wide open, it's soft but you can help on PS.

Here one pic of the other night ( compressed to upload), 1250 asa, wide open.

I miss a little the focus in the closest eye, but you can see what it looks at 1250 wide open with the M8.

Edited by fabianoliver