Summicron 40mm f2 vs Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1,4

Giacomo.B

Difficult to be sure due to sample variation at CV but the 40/1.4 is said to be very soft at f/1.4 and to suffer from focus shift at f/2.8 and on. I have no experience with it though. If you read French, see Jean-Marie Sepulchre, page 177. Some good photogs are happy with the 40/1.4 though.

Otherwise i own both M-Rokkor (for Minolta CLE) and Summicron-C. The Rokkor has less flare due to multicoating, as opposed to the Summicron-C which flares more or less like the Summicron-M 35 from the same period (v4). Otherwise they are very close. The Rokkor has a bit yellowish tint natively but it is difficult to notice and it disappears easily in PP. The Summicron-C is supposed to have focus problems with M bodies due to its sloping focus cam but i don't buy into this story personally as i've got three samples of it and none had the least issue with either my film Ms or R-D1 & M8.2. On the contrary, my Rokkor back focuses a lot unfortunately. Must come from my sample i guess as it is not a reported problem with this lens AFAIK.

My CV 35/1.4 "SC" has a lot of focus shift at f/2.8 and on as well. I use it only at f/1.4 and f/2 where it is slightly sharper than the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph (last version). The CV "SC" flares a lot though, even more than the late Summilux pre-asph.

I would not buy a Voigtlander lens without testing it first. If the lens suffers from focus shift it is unfortunately useless. My M-Rokkor 40/2 is spot on my M8, haven't heard about anyone with focus shift problems (in contrast with Voigtlander lenses). However, I've had some very good experience with Voigtlander lenses as well, so when they work they're usually great!

Both the Summicron 40 & Rokkor 40 are far superior! I own both. The Rokkor was newer coatings & handles flare better. They are both gems. On an M8 the entire viewfinder is an almost perfect match for framing. If you like film, as I do, an inexpensive CL & either lens is perfect for close in street shooting.

I would not buy a Voigtlander lens without testing it first. If the lens suffers from focus shift it is unfortunately useless.

Aperture related focus shift is an aspect of the design of the lens, not an ingredient of sample variation from one lens to another in a product line. All lenses have focus shift to a greater or lesser degree.

Steve

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have a Voigtlander 40/1.4, with my M8.

I like it. As said a little focus shift at 2 and 4, then less.

It cost me 200$, so i didn't hesitate. I modify it to bring the 35 frame on the VF ( very easy)

I use it a lot wide open, it's soft but you can help on PS.

Here one pic of the other night ( compressed to upload), 1250 asa, wide open.

I miss a little the focus in the closest eye, but you can see what it looks at 1250 wide open with the M8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fabianoliver

I used my M-Rokkor 40mm a lot on my M8 (and unfortunately never bought te mandatory UV/IR filter, stupid me). Handsome and oh so sharp. Even wide open. On the M8:

Side note - Interestingly, on my M240 - full frame - the field curvature is a bit to the back wide open, so lines on buildings far away sometime get sharper at the edges (in MTF charts Il'd say at 20mm and beyond) when focussing at 4 meter for example, wide open. But it is not very pronounced though. This is invisible on the M8 of course with the crop sensor. 

Edited by Alberti

Just for fun found another picture that shows the quality of the M-Rokkor 40mm in a 'portrait'

(M8 @ F2)

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I own both. I've also had 2 copies of the Rokkor 40mm f2 (newer version) and 2 copies of The Voigtlander 40mm 1.4.

The Rokkor Flares. Both of mine do.  Yes even with the Multicoating   But I like the flare. I chose the 40mm Rokkor knowing I will get a flare. For sure it does.

The Voigtlander can flare a bit too, but not nearly as much.

After countless tests and years of use.  The Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 MC is just a better lens.  Its more clear, Better color saturation and it is sharp when you need it to be sharp. Often at 1.4 I am surprised at the sharpness. But at f2 it's damn sharp.  The bokeh can be gorgeous. Yes, the busy bokeh thing can be true, but the Rokkor has that and then-some.   I DO love the Rokkor 40 for a MORE vintage look and it is LIGHT!  3.7oz!!!    The 40mm VM is 6.2 oz.  So twice the weight of the Rokkor.  ( I also have the 40mm 1.2 VM and the difference can only be slight often)

Also, many of the Rokkors have fungus, spider webbing or fog.   The Voigtlander is NEW, not expensive and delivered Amazon overnight.

I will say, my newer version of the Voigtlander 40mm 1,4 did seem a bit better than my older one. Both MC versions.   I consider that lens the best buy, most underrated lens in the M world.  

Edited by BOLEX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/13/2012 at 11:23 AM, roguewave said:

Both the Summicron 40 & Rokkor 40 are far superior! I own both. The Rokkor was newer coatings & handles flare better. They are both gems. On an M8 the entire viewfinder is an almost perfect match for framing. If you like film, as I do, an inexpensive CL & either lens is perfect for close in street shooting.

Are you saying you don’t need frameline reference in the VF with a 40mm lens on the M8? Very curious to know if anyone else can chime in. Thanks!