Adobe LR4 Beta Release

Guest WPalank

I have never used Capture 1, so I can't do a comparison. I suspect if you don't like Lightroom 2 or 3 workflow, you won't like Lightroom 4. The bones are largely the same. Having said that, I think the Adobe Raw Converter that is debuting in Lightroom 4 is a marked improvement.

Jack Siegel

Has anyone downloaded the beta of Lightroom 4? A big advance or a small increment?

I'd say a medium sized increment. Probably worth it for the introduction of soft proofing and the moire removal took if nothing else.

Why not download the beta and have a play? There's lots of information out on the net. The beta can't import existing LR3 catalogues, so there's no possibility of damaging anything you've already done. Create a new catalogue and import some exist DNGs. That should give you an idea of what's been added.

When I saw the thread title I thought good, it's been released, time to buy. Personally I'll be upgrading as soon as it's available.

I'd say a medium sized increment. Probably worth it for the introduction of soft proofing and the moire removal took if nothing else.

Why not download the beta and have a play? There's lots of information out on the net. The beta can't import existing LR3 catalogues, so there's no possibility of damaging anything you've already done. Create a new catalogue and import some exist DNGs. That should give you an idea of what's been added.

When I saw the thread title I thought good, it's been released, time to buy. Personally I'll be upgrading as soon as it's available.

Steve,

I have downloaded the beta and played around with a few DNG's. At a quick glance, the highlight and shadow recovery seems extremely smooth and better than CS5. The "out of the box" conversion thumbnails look very good. I suspect that the workflow is more a case of not being used to it/familiar with it, rather than anything wrong. As you say, soft proofing looks good as well.

Wilson

• Like 1

Sorry Wilson, I thought from the tone of your post that you hadn't downloaded it.

As I said, I'll be buying LR4 when it's finally released, but then I've been using LR3 for quite a while. When Lightroom was originally released I tried it and didn't like it at all, but I wouldn't be without it now.

Sorry Wilson, I thought from the tone of your post that you hadn't downloaded it.

As I said, I'll be buying LR4 when it's finally released, but then I've been using LR3 for quite a while. When Lightroom was originally released I tried it and didn't like it at all, but I wouldn't be without it now.

Steve,

When I originally posted our narrow broadband was throwing a wobbly and I had not downloaded. In general I prefer the workflow of Aperture to LR but its end results on M9 DNG's are not very good.

Wilson