Adobe LR4 Beta Release

Guest WPalank

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would have preferred that Adobe move more Photoshop development tools into Lightroom for those of us who prefer to work in one program. As I have said before, I would be more than happy to pay more for LR if it had more development features.

Jack Siegel

Personally, I've found myself using PS less and less in recent years, as LR's development powers have grown. With Soft-Proofing and Moiré removal now in LR, plus the new tone-mapping controls that seem to do what on occasion I've had to use Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights for, I think I'm only going to need PS now for Photomerge and the Type tool.

So I'm hoping that PSCS5 will see me out now, and I'll look at future LR upgrades and decide if there's anything new there I really need.

I bought every PS from 7 to CS3, then skipped CS4 as LR was doing so much of my work. I've been using LR since beta 1, and praying for Soft-Proofing at every upgrade. LR looks pretty much "done" to me now, and PS is looking quite C20 by comparison

Course that's just me....

Jim

LR will always fall short of current PS capabilities to avoid cannibalization of sales; otherwise the cost of LR would be prohibitive for most, not modestly more.

Jeff

I too would like a few more PS tools in LR, I understand that Adobe worries about loss of PS sales should they go down such a route. PS has a lot of stuff in it that I dont use that others do, and PS elements falls too far short of PS.

At the moment I have both PS and LR which is rather costly, but I could always go with just PS because it includes ACR.

Jeff

Just downloaded the beta and am very pleasantly struck by the new rendering of low-light images in LR4. Highlight and shadow areas appear to be much better managed, and the overall colour rendering is more pleasing. I've not looked at B&W yet. Not much time to play at the moment, but on first sight very pleased. It begins to look as if while in the old days of film, you could refresh your old camera body by loading it with the latest film stock technology, now you can refresh your whole current work AND your previous RAW archive by installing new processing software. Has to be good news. :-)

Guest WPalank
won't work on my mac and have tried everything. just gets stuck in the develop module!!

David,

What operating system? How much RAM? How much available Hard Drive Space?

10.6.8. 70gb free space and 8gb ram, Macbook pro 17" with the higher performance on in the system energy saver preferences. reloaded the whole programme after throwing everything away (catalogues, preferences and all) and it worked for a while. Now I have tried to open it again and it is just stuck with whirling rainbow wheel in the develop module. A lot of people seem to be having the same problem.

P.S After the spinning wheel of death for 5 minutes it's working again so a step in the right direction!!

Edited by viramati

• 2 weeks later...
Purple fringing correction doesn’t seem to work at all for me which is an issue; one of my favourite lenses is the CV Nokton 50mm which fringes quite a lot depending on light situation. CaptureOne does the much better job here.

Pity they haven't fixed it. One of my main gripes with LR3.

Purple fringing correction doesn’t seem to work at all for me

With LR3, I've had some success with the color defringe sliders and controls. (With Mac, it helps to hold down the option/command keys when using sliders to see the colors affected...I think that would be the Alt key on PC). Checking 'defringe all edges' sometimes works as well as sliders. Another approach is to desaturate the purple slider, but that might alter other areas of the picture as well.

Jeff

• Like 1

With LR3, I've had some success with the color defringe sliders and controls. (With Mac, it helps to hold down the option/command keys when using sliders to see the colors affected...I think that would be the Alt key on PC). Checking 'defringe all edges' sometimes works as well as sliders. Another approach is to desaturate the purple slider, but that might alter other areas of the picture as well.

Jeff

Useful advice, especially about the Option key. I used this key often when sharpening (useful to have the image temporarily in grey tones) but wasn’t aware that it also worked in the purple fringing / lens correction panel.

I stopped using Lightroom a while ago, but with this I might give it another chance. Cheers.

-Sascha

Another approach is to desaturate the purple slider, but that might alter other areas of the picture as well.

That's what I do for some images - but it's just a sub-optimal workaround.

Another alternative, if the image works also in BW, is to convert it and play with the purple/magenta sliders.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone downloaded the beta of Lightroom 4? A big advance or a small increment? I have never really warmed to Lightroom and always used Capture One (now 6.3.3 Pro) plus CS5 instead. However at the rate that M9 TIFF's fill up my various hard discs, I am going to have to stop keeping my photos as converted TIFF's and start just keeping the RAW images.

Wilson