:-) Is there any M 21mm lovers club?

flavio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got back my first slide rolls shot with M 21 f:3.4 Super Angulon and I can't shut down my mouth and eyes because the amazement :) . It is really a great lens, crystal clear resolution, colour rendering. Almost a 3D.

I think it will remain on my M4 for many week as a astandard lens.

Great!

Just got back my first slide rolls shot with M 21 f:3.4 Super Angulon and I can't shut down my mouth and eyes because the amazement :) . It is really a great lens, crystal clear resolution, colour rendering. Almost a 3D.

Great!

That lens was long regarded as one of the best of all Leica M lenses (though it was of course a Schneider design). I have its successor, the 1980 Elmarit, and this is even better. I have in fact never felt the attraction of an ASPH, though the 60 mm filter thread is really pretty large. On the M8 this lens is equivalent to a 28 only, but the loss of the edges and corners does of course nothing to degrade the performance!

Really, many older M lenses do offer sterling image quality. The improvements of later lenses may well be impossible to discern in practical work. After all, we take few of our photos on optical benches in laboratories. The difference between a Super Angulon and an Elmarit ASPH may be invisible as long as you shoot offhand, and stop down a bit.

The old man from the Age of the Box Camera

Great!

Flavio, I am more and more happy for You, because I hade a little part in helping You to take this fantastic lens: it is superbe, really; I go sometimes (rarely) with a single lens on M4, and is the 35 Summilux, but if take two or three, one is ALWAYS the Super Angulon 21 3,4; is the reason for I put a question on this forum, if someone has used it on M8 (it is usable but with no metering, Leica says): if someone will post a picture taken with this lens on M8, well, I think this can be the decisive push for me to buy an M8: do not want to renounce to my SA 3,4!

Ciao Luigi,

its true. Your advise and your hunt for the Super Angulon on the net shops were a decisive step to get it. Thanks again. It is a precious jewel and would like to use it with a Kodachrome 25 or 64.

In few minutes I'll go out on the field with my M4, the Super Angulon and a Velvia. Read you later.

Flavio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Flavio,

I nearly feel all the same as you. I use the 21 Super Angulon 4/21 and lately the Elmarit 2,8/21 in most of the time with my M 2.

M2, Super Angulon, f: 4/21; 8; 1/125, Kodak VR 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kalle

Hi Bernd and Kalle,

thanks for sharing your view and photos. Asap I'll do the same, since I have to put them on a cd. I am not able to read german language, but Leica language is universally known. On an M8 it become a 27.3 mm. Right?

I hope to create a real 21 mm fans club, no? What a great lens! I'm looking forward to use with a Kodachrome.

Ciao!

Flavio

Hi Bernd and Kalle,

thanks for sharing your view and photos. Asap I'll do the same, since I have to put them on a cd. I am not able to read german language, but Leica language is universally known. On an M8 it become a 27.3 mm. Right?

I hope to create a real 21 mm fans club, no? What a great lens! I'm looking forward to use with a Kodachrome.

Ciao!

Flavio

Uhm, the so called "crop factor" of M8 is 1,33333 (CCD 18x27 mm, same proportions as 24x36 so 36/27=1,3333....)

So a 21 on M8 covers the field of a 28 (21 + 21/3) on film Leica: for all the focal lengths exactly divisible by 3 is very easy to do the computation at once (90=120, 75=100) 135=180) 35 ca. 47.... 50 ca. 67...: to have the good old 50 standard would require a 37,5 mm lens... not available...

This is the only picture taken with the 21 3,4 I have on my PC (roughly scanned...print is better...): Paris, autumn 06, M4 + 21, sun in difficult position (behind the trees...)

I love my pre ASPH 2,8/21 :)

Yes, the 21/3.4 is a great lens. My personal favorite and has become the "normal" lens on my M6. It's probably the reason I'll never buy an M8; it doesn't fit.

Take note: you can USE it on M8: if you read the M8 user manual (available on Leica site) it states clearly that our beloved Super Angulon 21 3,4 can be used on M8, but exposure metering does not work: not a great problem, after all... You have an M6, ok, but I have an M4...and do not have Leicameter for esthetic considerations...

I love my pre ASPH 2,8/21 :)

I like mine too!

Take note: you can USE it on M8: if you read the M8 user manual (available on Leica site) it states clearly that our beloved Super Angulon 21 3,4 can be used on M8, but exposure metering does not work: not a great problem, after all... You have an M6, ok, but I have an M4...and do not have Leicameter for esthetic considerations...

I just checked and I think you're right. Although the salesman in the camera store was pretty adament about not using it for risk of damage.

I think its a personal taste or choice. I like my Leica M4 with Leicameter very much. Of course I cannot use it with the Super Angulon and 21 mm Viewer, when I use my great Weston Master V. The red one. No battery on my bag.

Sometime I also use the Weston Ranger n. 9.

I just checked and I think you're right. Although the salesman in the camera store was pretty adament about not using it for risk of damage.

I checked my M8 manual. It says that the Super Angulon lenses (both of them!) can be used, but without metering.

The 'spherical' Elmarit, which I use, is also a lovely lens -- except for the 60 mm filter size, of course.

The old man from the Age of Meterless Photography