Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt-S ... arrived today

Welcome to the 800 club Dunk !!! A lens that is easier to photograph than to take photographs with...:D.

Yours is surely a 2.500.<what?> mine is .874 ... and, you remember right, I got an adapter for Viso mount...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 12

Welcome to the 800 club Dunk !!! A lens that is easier to photograph than to take photographs with...:D.

Yours is surely a 2.500.<what?> mine is .874 ... and, you remember right, I got an adapter for Viso mount...

[ATTACH]294622[/ATTACH]

Hi Luigi, That is an excellent photo of your 800mm. I'm trying to reconcile 2500 and .874 :confused: ... Can you please explain?

Is your M adaptor an original Leica part or was it custom made?

Best wishes

dunk

Hi Luigi, That is an excellent photo of your 800mm. I'm trying to reconcile 2500 and .874 :confused: ... Can you please explain?

Is your M adaptor an original Leica part or was it custom made?

Best wishes

dunk

2500 refers to s/n : see JC explanation... indeed they assigned 351 numbers, but made less than 200 (in theory, it was offered also with Minolta SLR mount... never seen or heard of one like that...)

My adaptor has been custome made, building a substitute for the component hereby encircled in red : luckily, it's rather long to allow the longer flange distance of the Visoflex: it is a permanent modification... but I haven't any R body, and, in case, one can anyway mount the normal Viso lenses-for-R adapter...:o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I plan to transport this and a couple of tripods to a 500-acre local country park in a bike cart—where I can ride the bike pulling the cart behind me.

:eek:

Don't!

What a crazy idea! The bumps and vibrations will damage the delicate lens ... or at least the risk is very high. If you really must transport the Telyt-S (or any long telephoto lens) by bike then put at least the part(s) of the barrel(s) with the lens elements into a rucksack and carry that on your back. The rest—i. e. the tripods, the case, and the glassless barrel parts—may go into the cart. And better don't fall ...

• Like 1

Don't!

What a crazy idea! The bumps and vibrations will damage the delicate lens ... or at least the risk is very high. If you really must transport the Telyt-S (or any long telephoto lens) by bike then put at least the part(s) of the barrel(s) with the lens elements into a rucksack and carry that on your back. The rest—i. e. the tripods, the case, and the glassless barrel parts—may go into the cart. And better don't fall ...

Well, I agree is better to take care of this lens... :)... but its original case has a foam interior which acts as a good protection for bumps/vibrations... imho has a "right" consistence, and the separate parts are rather "simple" in themselves... the most delicate one is the front element which hosts the big glass triplet. Anyway, your idea of a rucksack (properly equipped and dimensioned... :o) is very good... I think I'll start to search for something like... carrying the case in your hand is definitely terrible...

Don't!

Not such a crazy idea . I am aware of the fact that there will be some vibrations ... but ... my bike trailer has fat tyres ... I can line the trailer with additional foam ... and the lens will be in a padded backpack . When I am cycling on the roads the vibration will be minimal; when I reach the park the cycle tracks are flat and I'll be doing more walking with the bike than riding . I doubt if the lens will be subjected to much more vibration than if transported in a car boot. I am endeavouring to source a bigger backpack; this is my large Tenba which is not big enough and has no room for the camera. It has been used with other long lenses (560mm f5.6 Telyt) in my bike trailer.

If I cannot source a larger backpack, part(s) of the lens will be transported in a Billingham 555 - in the bike trailer

6640914471_43c6939211_z.jpg

800mm f6.3 Telyt-S in Tenba backpack by s4sargent, on Flickr

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 1

800/6.3 has to be at least 127 mm wide at the lens. It would be interesting to put it on a hasselblad 2000 and see what format coverage it has

Interesting, yes, but given that Hasselblad has a flange distance even longer than Leica M+Viso II/III (74,9 vs. 68,8 mm) I am not so sure one can build an adapter rather "easy to machine", as has been the one that I had made for my Telyt... having taken a number of measures to design it (several months ago) I even doubt that it is feasible...