Shutterlag

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being to old to notice any shutterlag under 0.1 seconds, I did a search on the Internet for the figures for a few cameras. These are the best I found. Has anybody got more information?

M3 - 12 ms

M6 - 25 ms

M7 - 50 ms

Canon 1D series -60 ms

s

M8/9 90 ms

All of these would have no impact on decisive-moment shooting I think.

On a sidenote - the start-up time of my M9 seems to have shortened on firmware 1.17x. The viewfinder LEDs appear almost instantly on switch-on now.

Edited by jaapv
decapitalized

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First, instantly, the LED on the back and then the viewfinder LEDs

Yes - and it used to take about 0.7 seconds for the viewfinder LEDs before. It appears to be much faster now. Or I have slowed down over the last few weeks. :o

Of course, the whole moral of this story is to learn the art of anticipation. With lags in this order I feel that is wholly subconscious and will come with a bit of experience.

As long as the lag is consistent one can learn to allow for it, and quick feedback from chimping is a tremendous help when doing so.

The other moral, unfortunately, is that we have to stop claiming that rangefinder cameras have shorter shutter lags than SLRs.:(

Of course, the whole moral of this story is to learn the art of anticipation. With lags in this order I feel that is wholly subconscious and will come with a bit of experience.

I agree. However, living 90ms in the future is not easy when the shot is not susceptible to panning. I've an example in my First Album.

Second thinking the staged shutter release mode - it seems to give me some kind of tactical clue as to where I am in the act of exposure. It might be all in my mind - but where else could it be?

We rangefinder users also have no mirror black-out. Of course, a DSLR user can shoot with both eyes open, but how many do that?

But I do find that the soft release mode on the M9 is a boon. Actually, when I am shooting I get the feeling that I only have to think "click" for the camera to go `click` without any sensation of pushing the shutter button.

:D You're completely right - that would be the Digilux2 with AF switched on;). Megas to millis - edited, thanks

Oh so I have a Mega9. Excellent :D

But for these shutterlag numbers to be decisive you have to have camera to eye, focused, framed, part pressure on the shutter release and zero mental, nerve and muscle lag.

Don't you bump into walls walking round all tightly coiled like that!

What about when you are trying to sip your beer or bite off some bratwurst?

Oh so I have a Mega9. Excellent :D

But for these shutterlag numbers to be decisive you have to have camera to eye, focused, framed, part pressure on the shutter release and zero mental, nerve and muscle lag.

Don't you bump into walls walking round all tightly coiled like that!

What about when you are trying to sip your beer or bite off some bratwurst?

Very nasty to remove from the lens, Bratwurst grease, except if you slosh beer foam over it. Then it wipes off easily.