M8 Travel Battery Charger

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The one thing we can all agree on is that the M8 battery charger is big enough. On a recent trip, I realised it's too big, I also realised that I always have my laptop with me with its own power adapter ("brick") so why not use that to power the M8 charger?

So here is the result of a re-packaging exercise in my lab to reduce the size of the M8 battery charger. This version runs off a car battery or pretty much any laptop brick you care to connect.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, I'll be telling you how you can do it too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Nice!

Does "repacking" mean you used a complete charger, took it apart and put everything in this nice small case?

Maybe one could get the parts from Ansmann (ANSMANN ENERGY GMBH) ? At least they make the charger for Leica...a few weeks ago I tried asking them if they would supply a spare battery without the Leica label. They just said: ask Leica if you need a battery..

Regards

Stefan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The advantage to the really big one to me( when traveling) is that I nearly trip over it when I am checking out of the hotel and it is hard to leave it. I generally charge in the bathroom where it is obvious and grab it off the wall the last few minutes of my stay. It is hard to miss. I have lost the little ones that way.

Well, I am looking for something positive to say about the current charger.

What I really want however is a tiny charger with prongs that fold in when not in use.

I have access to someone who is really handy with a soldering iron. Will you post shots? Where did you get that case from? Can you still use it in a wall? It would be awesome if it would take those standard cables which end in a rubber plug looking like a small pigs nose, because so many things take such a cable that someone always has one, and it can be shared between people and devices.

Sweet hack.

Looks like Mark saved space by removing the AC power supply circuitry and repackaging just the charge controller. So you still need to scavange an AC brick from somewhere, but chances are, if you're traveling with a computer, you've already got one that's suitable for the job. Accomodating the magnetic connectors used on Apple's new notebooks will take some ingenuity though!

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes now that a lot of us are on Mac's that would be intersting to see how that can be done. I did not realize it was as small as that when I first looked at it. This is very cool , okay Mark start making them and they will come.

Movie :Field Of Dreams

"Build it and they will come"

Just saw this 2 nights ago, great movie