New Firmware 1.176

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having shot nothing but slide film since the early 1960s until switching to digital, I'm probably fairly used to accepting the results straight out of the camera, so the switch to accepting the JPEGs was an easy one.

But thanks for the hint. I've been using Capture One, but given that the Adobe software came bundled with my M9, I'll give it a try.

Best regards,

Doug

Since they added a print module to C1, it processes in one workflow as well.

I don't want to criticise anyone's technique , but shooting jpg is a bit of a waste of the M9.

DNGs come up spectacular in lightroom.

JPGs rarely do.

BTW this was the same on my 5Dii and D700 (although more so on the M9)

Its the nature of digital photography

Edited by colonel

i was working with my m9 for 8 hours today using 1.176 and the camera died twice (only twice admittedly) without any warning. fiddling around, taking the battery out and putting a new one in didn't work and then when i changed the sd card to a new card it worked. there was still space left on the previous sd card. this is the first time this has happened on a shoot for me and i'm not sure whether it's 1.176 related or not...just post anyway

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I've just lost a hundred daily shots.

Suddenly the camera could't see the card and now even my mac can't see it.

there's definitely a problem with sandisk/M9

never had issues with older firmwares.

OK... this is incredible... I was able to rescue some of the files using my panasonic lx3 as a card reader... the only device who could see the card after the "m9 threatment"...

no way it can be a card problem, I have several digital camera and the only problem with those sandisk comes out when they are initialized with the leica.

Edited by luuca
updated

Advertisement (gone after registration)

brill64, luuca,

It would make sense to continue to report memory card problems here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-sd-card-issues/

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-sd-card-issues/213088-leica-m9-firmware-1-176-problem.html#post1909883

so that Leica doesn't miss this.

Thanks, K-H.

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 1

Why do you use Sandisk cards with your M9 folks? Is this a kind of sport?

Kind of have to agree with this. I dumped Sandisc Cards from my M9 a couple of firmwares ago. Very pleased with my class 10 Lexar 16GB cards. About 5000 frames and not a single lost image. The Sandisks have found homes in other cameras I have.

I just figured that $50 on a card that works was worth not loosing images. And I don't have to keep upgrading my firmware and worrying about buffers etc.

Gordon

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I've just lost a hundred daily shots.

Suddenly the camera could't see the card and now even my mac can't see it.

there's definitely a problem with sandisk/M9

never had issues with older firmwares.

OK... this is incredible... I was able to rescue some of the files using my panasonic lx3 as a card reader... the only device who could see the card after the "m9 threatment"...

no way it can be a card problem, I have several digital camera and the only problem with those sandisk comes out when they are initialized with the leica.

If you can see the card, use Disk Warrior to restore the file strcture. With a bit of luck you might recover your images.

I'm on my third Sandisk UHS-1 8GByte card, two prior ones failed with my computer. The second one using a Sandisk Imagemate cardreader that works with my other SanDisk and PNY cards. The third one is in my EP2. None of them have been in the M9.

These cards get revised throughout their runs. One UHS-1 8GByte card may not be the same as another. So- you don't know if Leica tested with ALL versions of the same model card, doubtful.

The Sandisk cards have problems with more than just M9's. A salesman at the local electronics shop told me that he steers customers away from them as they are problematic. The shop does not sell Leica, but I dod buy a Digital camcorder for my daughter.

• Like 1

I don't want to criticise anyone's technique , but shooting jpg is a bit of a waste of the M9.

DNGs come up spectacular in lightroom.

JPGs rarely do.

BTW this was the same on my 5Dii and D700 (although more so on the M9)

Its the nature of digital photography

I agree totally

So anyone still having trouble with the new firmware? I keep downloading the images to my computer now everytime I finished taking pictures, even just a few (like 10-20 frames). Just in case, you know...

no

my samsung and memory2go own brand cards are absolutely fine

and always have been

I also haven't heard any issues with lexar (and probably others I don't know about)

Its clear that the electronics/software Leica is using for the card reader is not as fault tolerant as the Japanese manufacturers (its definitely not the speed as the M9 has dual cpu, vs the M8 single single cpu) however I am not sure the blame is purely Leica

I have had a fail of a Sandisk CF on a Canon and an integra SD on another brand in the past few years, so generally take a dim view of memory cards

I always replace flash memory periodically as a fail safe, as I am also worried about flash memory fails after multiple writes and general reliability concerns in general on these highly cheaply made items

Edited by colonel

Have been using Lexar class 10 cards ever since I got my M9's and before that with my M8's without any problem whatsoever and have therefore not installed the last two updates.

Off topic, regarding jpg's: Try shooting portraits under various lighting using DNG+jpg fine and compare the skin tones as rendered on import in either Capture One or LR3/ACR. I did yesterday just out of curiousity and will never shoot a jpg again.

Jaap, since you use the print module in Capture One, please check out my post in the PP section. I would appreciate your opinion and eventual advice.

No sorry, I don't use the print module of C1 - I export the TIFF to CS 5 - and I do not print myself - I farm out to a pro printing service - they print on Fujicolor Digital Professional paper - I could never afford the gear to do so myself - nor have I the expertise.