New Firmware 1.176

pico

...why would one want JPG, fine or otherwise? I don't get it.

My wife teaches art to grade school kids, and often has me shoot the projects for slide show presentations. I switch to jpeg only mode and shoot away, hand her the card and I'm done. She takes it from there, and would kill me if I gave her raw files.

Larry

My wife teaches art to grade school kids, and often has me shoot the projects for slide show presentations. I switch to jpeg only mode and shoot away, hand her the card and I'm done. She takes it from there, and would kill me if I gave her raw files.

Larry

Okay that is one. What other rationale to people have for shooting DNG and JPG?

Yes, and I noted that, and the question remains - why would one want JPG, fine or otherwise? I don't get it.

Not being addicted to long hours at the keyboard in pursuit of my hobby, I use the JPEG file whenever possible, and only ‘develop’ the DNG if it’s needed. For many purposes, the JPEG is good enough.

Best regards,

Doug

oh dear.

With the new firmware my two 16GB sandisk extreme class10 cards have stopped to work with the M9.

The camera says "no card".

EDIT: ok, you need to re-format the cards with the new firmware.

Edited by luuca

Not being addicted to long hours at the keyboard in pursuit of my hobby, I use the JPEG file whenever possible, and only ‘develop’ the DNG if it’s needed. For many purposes, the JPEG is good enough.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug

But if you use one of the newer DAM software, like Lightroom or Aperture there is no need to do the 'develop' stage at all - there's no overhead for using RAW and no extra work required, just extra disk space and more possibilities for adjustment.

all the best

oh dear.

With the new firmware my two 16GB sandisk extreme class10 cards have stopped to work with the M9.

The camera says "no card".

EDIT: ok, you need to re-format the cards with the new firmware.

The instructions tell us to format the card in-camera before copying the update to it. I did that and it went perfectly well.

Against my better judgement, I decided to time the differences between 162 and 176.

Unlike the prior poster, I noticed ~7-10s faster writing times on my 32GB Sandisk Extreme HD Video class 10 card. I tested uncompressed DNG + fine JPG.

IMHO, it really doesn't matter +/- 7s since I use compressed DNG, so the time difference should be even smaller. Like I wrote, testing it was against my better judgement.

The instructions tell us to format the card in-camera before copying the update to it. I did that and it went perfectly well.

I did it too.

but I had to format the cards even AFTER having installed the new firmware, because the camera didn't recognize them once the upgrade was done...

Is there a chance that 1.176 now works with the Eye-Fi wireless SD Card? :)

Thanks.

It always did in my M9 - just have to be very very close to Wi-Fi.

It's slower than molasses though and not much of practical value.

Also, there is still the warning, use of Eye-Fi may damage your M9.

K-H.

• Like 1

But if you use one of the newer DAM software, like Lightroom or Aperture there is no need to do the 'develop' stage at all - there's no overhead for using RAW and no extra work required, just extra disk space and more possibilities for adjustment.

Having shot nothing but slide film since the early 1960s until switching to digital, I'm probably fairly used to accepting the results straight out of the camera, so the switch to accepting the JPEGs was an easy one.

But thanks for the hint. I've been using Capture One, but given that the Adobe software came bundled with my M9, I'll give it a try.

Best regards,

Doug

DNG + JPG for two reasons....

I shoot only B&W, and it is nice to see the actual contrasts in the scene without having to mentally adjust for color.

..and e.g., when shooting a wedding, I immediately throw up a website with the JPEGs (may do a simple global adjustment for sharpening or contrast) so that people can see it the next day.....especially good for those that couldn't make it to the wedding...then I'll process a lot more carefully and convert from DNG to JPEG to give a CD of final images to the couple. They can use the website to decide what they want printed....

Seems silly to partially process everything into B&W and then reprocess completely for final images...but card saving delay is sometimes a factor (rarely though, and I'd have to give up the B&W preview. A tossup)