New look at NEX-7 with Lux M 24mm

mmradman

Its nice when a respected reviewer finds a good camera.

Its always a shame that some folk feel the need to diss a camera that they don't have or have some prejudice against.

I happen to think the Nex 7 is an awesome camera. It really takes the Nex 5N, adds extra resolution, and propels the handling from so-so to very good. With the Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 it has the makings of a classic, beautiful draw, colours and micro-contrast (see slrgear or luminous landscape, etc.).

It is no substitue for FF, especially the classic 5Dii or Leica M9, but its a great camera for most things most of the time. With the new Sony 50mm f1.8, a bevy of highly rated zoom lenses and a proposed new pankcakes lenses for release this year, I think its the strongest CSC offering by far. Perhaps it needs a low light zoom and a 35mm f1.4 to round off the range nicely.

As an added bonus you get the ability to use Leica M lenses (and in my case Canon FD lenses as well)

I like the styling. Sony has taken a fresh approach, love or hate it, rather then just try to mimick a previous style.

I happen to think the Fuji xpro-1 is also great, although for different tastes, and am excited about the new Samsung NX20 (the NX200 is a great camera and very underated, despite the bizarre exclusion of an AEL button and no EVF).

The ability to use Leica lenses on a growing range of cameras, which quite frankly are all so good that they are more limited by the photographer then the technology, is a really wonderful thing.

I feel lucky to have these opportunities and choices at the moment.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 2

...With the new Sony 50mm f1.8, a bevy of highly rated zoom lenses and a proposed new pankcakes lenses for release this year, I think its the strongest CSC offering by far...

OK colonel but what about us Leica users? How does the Nex-7 behave with Leica lenses in general and Leica wides in particular? This camera can be tempting per se but i'm not interested at all if i must add a new set of lenses to my Leica and Nikon stables. YMMV of course but we're on the Leica forum here aren't we.

OK colonel but what about us Leica users? How does the Nex-7 behave with Leica lenses in general and Leica wides in particular? This camera can be tempting per se but i'm not interested at all if i must add a new set of lenses to my Leica and Nikon stables. YMMV of course but we're on the Leica forum here aren't we.

That was my point

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

Wide Leica lenses frankly seem to be a red herring - use them on your M9 or what have you.

Some even work on the NEXs quite well, like my WATE.

For all other lenses, especially longer ones, the NEXs just offer another excellent camera option.

By Leica standards, fairly inexpensive as well.

If you insist on a rangefinder, then this is the wrong discussion thread for you. My 2 cents.

K-H.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wide Leica lenses frankly seem to be a red herring […] Some even work on the NEXs quite well, like my WATE. […]

Thank you. Do you think some of the following lenses would work well (i mean w/o Cornerfix) on the Nex-7?

Or at least following 21 and 28 that i use most on APS-C cameras?

- CV Heliar 15/4.5 VM

- Elmarit-M 21/2.8 asph

- CV Skopar 21/4 P

- Summicron-M 28/2

- Elmarit-M 28/2.8 asph

- Summilux-M 35/1.4 pre-asph

- CV Nokton 35/1.4 SC

- Summicron-M 35/2 asph

- Summicron-M 35/2 v4

- Summarit-M 35/2.5

- Summicron-C 40/2

Wide Leica lenses frankly seem to be a red herring - use them on your M9 or what have you.

Some even work on the NEXs quite well, like my WATE.

For all other lenses, especially longer ones, the NEXs just offer another excellent camera option.

By Leica standards, fairly inexpensive as well.

Thank you. Do you think some of the following lenses would work well (i mean w/o Cornerfix) on the Nex-7?

- CV Heliar 15/4.5 VM

- Elmarit-M 21/2.8 asph

- CV Skopar 21/4 P

- Summicron-M 28/2

- Elmarit-M 28/2.8 asph

- CV Nokton 35/1.4 SC

- Summicron-M 35/2 asph

- Summicron-M 35/2 v4

- Summarit-M 35/2.5

- Summicron-C 40/2

Red Herring, indeed. I have used the 25 2.8 ZM Zeiss and the 28 Elmarit-M (Version 3) extensively on the NEX 5. I'm talking day to day photography, without color shift, corner issues, or any other real world problem.

After speaking to lct in a different forum, and then pixel peeping an image that was shot in a way that I would almost certainly never use the lens, I foolishly sold the 25, something I regret.

Aside from the 15, any of the above listed lenses performance (especially on moderate wides...aspherical summicron 35 and summicron-40, really?) is not worth doubting for a second on a NEX 3, 5, or 7 sized sensor.

Edited by Jaybob

Hi Jaybob thanks but i was asking about the Nex-7 which i understand does not give the same results with wides as the Nex-5N.

- CV Heliar 15/4.5 VM

- Elmarit-M 21/2.8 asph

- CV Skopar 21/4 P

- Summicron-M 28/2

- Elmarit-M 28/2.8 asph

- CV Nokton 35/1.4 SC

- Summicron-M 35/2 asph

- Summicron-M 35/2 v4

- Summarit-M 35/2.5

- Summicron-C 40/2

You asked a hypothetical question that asked for judgement. "Do you think that some of the following lenses would work well on the NEX-7?"

What I'm saying is that you may be perpetuating an idea of perceived "performance issues" using adapted wide angle lenses with a camera that hasn't even shipped yet. Lumping the 28, 35, and 40mm lenses in there implies that there is some problem with this combination of world class lenses and a pretty decent sensor, and that is just not accurate.

Edited by Jaybob

Hi Howard,

I for one am not bothered at all, it's an interesting question you ask and I bet a lot of people would like to know the answers.

I'd advise you to look around and ask in this forum:

Alternative Gear & Lenses - FM Forums

There is quite a lot of useful knowledge over there.

As for the 28 Cron (wonderful lens I used it on my M8 a lot) it's supposed to work fine on the NEX 7. The 21 I don't know.

I have the NEX-5n and use it extensively with wides with no problems as yet (Sn 28/2, SX21/1.4 & Distagon 15/2.8).

I was offered a NEX-7 yesterday on a good trade, but turned it down. I like the larger size of the NEX-7, but everything I've seen suggests that the sensor on the NEX-5n is better with Leica wides than the NEX-7 sensor. Also, with the increased MP count, and reduced pixel size, the NEX-7 sensor seems quite a bit noisier.

Not sure if this helps ...

Cheers

John