How would you engrave your Leica?

mafoofan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought about asking for this, but didn't want to overcomplicate my order, as I had already asked for a number of other small changes. Anyway, I actually kind of prefer the M2/M4/M6/M7/MP-style top plate. The increased simplicity may in fact be the result of cost-cutting, but is also more in-keeping with the camera's bauhaus aesthetic.

I always thought about the Leica M3 looking very complicated and barock styled with it's windows and the top plate reaching around the lens mount.

I never was a big fan of chrome cameras either and always preferred black bodies.

BUT: when I bought a Leica M3, to try out that magic viewfinder, I have to agree, that all the writing on the internet about the M3 is true - it's the nicest and best Leica M, when not needing 35mm frame lines.

I even fell in love with the M3 styled top deck, which wiped all my concerns and wrong thinking about it's design. Once you used a M3 for a little, it might very well grow on you - a real black lacquer paint (a la Leica M8.2 or MP) on a MP3 styled body with standard frame lines is very well, what my dream film body would be like (I don't like the simplistic frame lines, as I have too many lenses in different focal lengths, needing the frames).

Brings back memories. I think you mean one of those Dymo label things like this.

Thank you Ian, yes it's the Dymo I was thinking of.

I read online (for instance at Cameraquest re M3s and re LTM and also here) that cameras engraved with owner's name or social security numbers are valued less.

Then again, who buys a camera new to allow a collector years down the line to be able to get a mint collector's piece.

You don't need an expert to tell you that a personal engraving will reduce a camera's value :).

However, value retention is not one of my priorities, as this camera is being gifted to me for my 30th birthday and will never be sold. Anyway, if worse comes to worst, I can always pay to have the top plate replaced with a regular one before selling.

• Like 1

I once tried to make Leica make the M8 available in British Racing Green, but they didn't bite.

There are two kinds of people: Those who can recognise a M Leica for what it is, without any kind of prompting, and those who have never heard of Leica and think it's a misspelling for 'Lieca'. So if I decide to upgrade my M9 to P style, I would like to have no text at all on a black camera – except in the accessory shoe of course, which I understand is retained. The M is its own icon.

The old man from the Chrome Age

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Basically the value reduction is the general idea - to make it less attractive to steal.

Though I don't think you meant it that way, the inverse of what you've written is that there'd be collectors or their help roaming the streets looking for un-engraved cameras to steal. :)

You don't need an expert to tell you that a personal engraving will reduce a camera's value :).

Like I said...

who buys a camera new to allow a collector years down the line to be able to get a mint collector's piece.

Good luck with your gift.

P

Thank you Ian, yes it's the Dymo I was thinking of.

I read online (for instance at Cameraquest re M3s and re LTM and also here) that cameras engraved with owner's name or social security numbers are valued less.

Putting one's social security number in plain site is crazy. Even the US Social Security Card carries a warning, "DO NOT CARRY THIS CARD WITH YOU." (Their capital letters)

Unfortunately, the Medicare agency is idiotic in that regard. They assign a number to the person/card which shows in plain sight, large letters, the persons social security number followed by a dash and letter (for example) -A. For that reason I do not carry mine, but instead a supplemental plan with a properly coded number.

--

Pico - I wonder if the actor Johnny Depp, who uses a Leica, knows what his last name means in German.

Edited by pico

I won't have any of my cameras or watches engraved. Even if I plan to keep them for my lifetime, my heirs have no interest whatsoever in cameras or mechanical timepieces. I prefer not to limit their ability to liquidate my estate at maximum value. If there's anything they decide to keep, I'd rather it be for sentimental reasons and not because of my vanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I won't have any of my cameras or watches engraved. Even if I plan to keep them for my lifetime, my heirs have no interest whatsoever in cameras or mechanical timepieces. I prefer not to limit their ability to liquidate my estate at maximum value. If there's anything they decide to keep, I'd rather it be for sentimental reasons and not because of my vanity.

Let's not get sanctimonious about the vanity of engraving names on $5,000+ cameras. Some sanity in perspective, please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeez, most people lose more than the value of an MP with depreciation in the first year of owning a new car. Or a motorcycle. Or a house, these days. Why worry about it? Just do what you want with your own money!:) In my case, my grandkids would LOVE a camera with my name engraved on it as on the custom split-bamboo flyrod.

If I had the money, I would put anything on the camera that I wanted and would not care a single bit about anyone else's opinion.

i've always thought that plain black paint would be perfect on an MP. this is not for reasons of stealth, just for perfect minimal decoration. to my eyes, the camera's shape is its identification.

the photo is from Ffordes - an MP that i unfortunately didn't buy.

greetings from hamburg

rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If I had the money, I would put anything on the camera that I wanted and would not care a single bit about anyone else's opinion.

So how would you have it done?

i've always thought that plain black paint would be perfect on an MP. this is not for reasons of stealth, just for perfect minimal decoration. to my eyes, the camera's shape is its identification.

This is just as intriguing an approach, to my mind. I've never been much for middle-of-the-road solutions.

So how would you have it done?

This is just as intriguing an approach, to my mind. I've never been much for middle-of-the-road solutions.

Wow...this is a very personal thing to do, however, I prefer simple and elegant. Either a script signature or script initials, I suppose. Deleting Leica Camera from the back is pretty neat.

Now, if we were discussing those expensive! split-bamboo fly rods, then, there are some wonderful engravers that could do anything you want, but, again, I prefer something simple and elegant, and especially BLACK.:p