Used Leica in Hong Kong

jazzsensei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone. Apart from the 3 official Leica Stores in Hong Kong, I am aware of Tin Cheung over by TST East. Someone has mentioned Gurus as well in Happey Valley.

Does anyone have any other places in Hong Kong to recommend, for new and/or used Leica gear as well as compatible gear, such as those from Zeiss, Voigtlander, etc? I will be there over Christmas ......

Thanks in advance!

New Francisco is worth a visit, as they have a relatively large selection of some vary rare Leica items (in a very small shop). Service is usually typical Hong Kong, meaning you should not expect much in the way of friendly conversation, greetings, acknowledging you at all.

New Francisco is located inside the shopping arcade next to the Shangri-La Hotel on Mody Road.

Stephen

Just came back from a short stop over in hong kong on the way home from the UK and the leica stuff in HK is wayyyyyyy overpriced. Most of the gear i found in shops is mint mint and they want a pretty penny for it. The fransisco place is packed with amazing gear but its so expensive i dont know how they would even sell anything. Most other shops shrink wrap the shit out of everything so its hard to inspect what your buying

Hong Kong is famous for high prices, especially where Leica is concerned. At shops like New Francisco they start high, but if you know the correct worldwide price it's not very difficult to negotiate a much more favorable deal. The trick is to know exactly what you want and what it's worth.

Unfortunately in these times the influx of mainland Chinese money has caused all prices in Hong Kong to inflate to the high side of the world market, but it's only wayyyyyyyyy overpriced if you do not negotiate. Some westerners find this objectionable but it's the only way to shop in HK.

Edited by StephenPatterson
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try Stanley Street (parallel to Queen's Rd in Central) as well - quite a way along towards the Escalator there's another Tin Cheung(?)(TC) and on the opposite side of the road another shop which has 2nd hand Leica lenses and I dealt with them some years ago - they seem ok still.

There's a (slightly scruffy) branch of TC just off Nathan Road - Mody/Cameron Road - not sure which & it might be another similar adjacent road that's the only one that does 2nd hand I was told.

Also there's a huge TC at the top of the Mall (name escapes me) which you can enter 1/2 way along the foot tunnel between Tsim Sha Tsui MTR and TST East.

All the comments about prices are true - no bargains.

New Francisco is worth a visit, as they have a relatively large selection of some vary rare Leica items (in a very small shop). Service is usually typical Hong Kong, meaning you should not expect much in the way of friendly conversation, greetings, acknowledging you at all.

New Francisco is located inside the shopping arcade next to the Shangri-La Hotel on Mody Road.

Stephen

This is one of my favorite shops in HK - even, when a certain item is not available in the shop, the owner tries, to find you the part and get it for you same or next day, when possible.

Very friendly people, quite the opposite of shopping for second hand and new Leica in mainland.

I have heard good things about 9days photo, but never have been there personally.

From seeing their eBay auctions, they have quite some interesting older lenses, I would love to get my hands on.

I have been shopping at Tin Cheung on several occasions - there are two shops in TST, one of them presumably moved recently.

I like Tin Cheung, as you don't get the dead eye look, as in the tourist clientele shops, when you actually want to try a lens, before buying.

TC also had the largest collection of bags, when I was there last time ;-)

I would prevent the large shops around … can't remember the street name, but that's the street with middle aged men with huuuge DSLR flash rigs, shooting the h@#$ out of the girly shop advertisers - you know, when you are there, that you should not try those shops - nothing to see there, move along.

If you are in HK, you might want to have a visit @ Schmidt Marketing (the official service partner of Leica in SEA) - I never had them clean a sensor or adjust a RF, as I prefer, to do this myself, but other people had good experience with them.

I had a lens handled by them once and was satisfied.

you will find a mesmerising collection of little stores other than the official leica stores on hong kong side, in tsim sta tsui, kowloon. some of the best ones are quite hard to find but they are all within short walking distance of each other and sometimes in the same building. their showrooms are often in the upper floors of commercial office buildings and rarely found at street level. look out for nine days, m&k camera, frankie lee, au xin guan, fotopia, l&h fotollection...this is just a few small but very well stocked leica retailers. they all speak perfect english and know their leica/zeiss/voigtlander stuff. there's also a tiny rahn showroom in mongkok with a very eclectic collection of equipment with knowledgeable and friendly staff but this one is quite hard to locate. most dealers have superb collections of lenses and cameras from rare collectors to mint 2nd-hand in 90-98% condition to new, most with full packing and certs. strongly advise to book your wife in for a day at the spa because you can spend a whole day or two doing this. prices fluctuate of course so shop around but no sales tax or vat. some do credit card and/or part-exchange but cash is king. you can search all online to find addresses/phone numbers and if you pm me, i'd be happy to try and advise in any way that i can. there is also a very active local online forum for trading leica gears..you won't be disappointed.

Edited by brill64

• 7 years later...

Just to wake this thread. 

I am currently interested in a 40mm Summicron lens. I am going to HK this weekend. M&K camera and Fotopia HK have stocks. Is it safe to buy from these stores? what should I look for when buying a used lens? 

2 minutes ago, stephengv said:

Just to wake this thread. 

I am currently interested in a 40mm Summicron lens. I am going to HK this weekend. M&K camera and Fotopia HK have stocks. Is it safe to buy from these stores? what should I look for when buying a used lens? 

Hi, it is safe , just double check the lens glass and mechanics as you would  in any other shop .