Elmar 90mm f4 Collapsible (LTM) Availability?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I check them before you posted and I do not linked them to you cause it was stipuled cleaning marks.

After that, the price is relatively low so you do not take great risks.

I dealed, again recently, with Westlich and their items describtions are always accurate with no emphasis.

Their shipping service, usually UPS, is absolutely correct.

Thanks, JCB. Their definition of the grading B is stated as "B: very good condition, with slight signs of wear" whilst this particular lens is described as B+ with"small cleaning marks, otherwise clear". For the price, and compared with all the others that I have seen offered, I felt that this would suit my needs (and my pocket!). Obviously the truth will reveal itself when I develop the first roll of film... I look forward to it's delivery!

• 2 weeks later...

After it's slow journey from Vienna, my Elmar 90mm f4 (148xxx) was put to the test on my IIIg yesterday afternoon and the Tri-X developed this morning in Ilfosol 3. Typically of Tri-X the negatives have taken on quite a 'bow' but I did manage a quick scan prior to putting them under a stack of heavy books to flatten for the next day or so.

This shot is at minimum focus distance and f4, whilst this one is a mid-distance one. Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the lens (and IIIg), both dating from around 1957.

This shot is at minimum focus distance and f4, whilst this one is a mid-distance one. Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the lens (and IIIg), both dating from around 1957.

Using this lens at f8, better at f11 give the best is able to .

#2 remind me the typical lens pict from catalog or leaflet promotional prints

Edited by jc_braconi

Using this lens at f8, better at f11 give the best is able to .

#2 remind me the typical lens pict from catalog or leaflet promotional prints

Thanks. This one was taken at f9.5 and obviously at infinity. Tri-X is not the best choice for landscape but at least I could check-out the lens's performance under just about every combination of distance and aperture.

So how was the balance with the 'long' lens ? Did you 'feel' it tipping over or was it pretty intuitive to keep level ? (Note : i only have 5cm Elmar/Summitar so have no clue about 9cm lenses)
I did have some concerns about balance and it potentially being unwieldy, but found it a very pleasant, easy combination to use. The only other comment I would make is that, unlike modern lenses, the focus-throw is very loooong!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The only other comment I would make is that, unlike modern lenses, the focus-throw is very loooong!

:) I'm glad you like the lens.

I was out today with the II and the Elmar 9cm and appreciated the long focus throw. It feels like the focus is extremely precise. A bit slower to focus though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (M) viewpost.gif

Thanks. This one was taken at f9.5 :confused: and obviously at infinity. Tri-X is not the best choice for landscape but at least I could check-out the lens's performance under just about every combination of distance and aperture.

Indeed f9.5, that well-known place midway between f8 and f11! ;) As there are no click-stops (on my Elmar anyway), when my lightmeter gave such a reading, no reason not to position the aperture black-line at the halfway point.

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering buying a yellow filter for my recently acquired 9cm Elmar f4 (#1482xxx), pictured in post #25. Leica WiKi states E39 which I assume means a 39mm threaded filter whilst mine has a thread of 33(?)mm and an outside diameter of 36mm. As I only use b&w in my film M's, I prefer to have a filter that can remain in-situ so a threaded filter rather than a push-on is what I am seeking. Can anyone confirm the code or part number for a suitable medium yellow filter please?

Keith,

The filter thread diameter of the 90mm LTM Elmar is actually 34mm. To the best of my knowledge Leitz did not make E-34mm filter and your best chance would be B+W or Heliopan. A few years ago, both accepted special orders, as that filter size is not in their regular availability lists.

I just did a search on the big auction site and found a 34mm filter set, which includes the yellow filter, as well as other filters for black and white. Sorry - can't post the link for you, for fear of the post being deleted... :rolleyes:

Best,

Jan

• Like 1

Well, after looking at what is on offer from many dealers (and Ebay) I have just opted for a 1957 example from Leicashop Vienna. I have never dealt with them before, so will be interested to (a) see how they perform and (B) how the lens (described as condition B+) performs...

I can confirm 100% what Jean-Claude Braconi said above. I have attended the very first Cornwall auction in 1981 (Westlicht took over in 1992), and more than 30 since then, and I consider they are the best - at least as far as Leica is concerned - in the world for quality as well as for descriptions and service (maybe with the more modest Tamarkin in the USA).

Reading the very positive endorsements of Leicshop Wien is reassuring after my less than positive experience in my one and only (so far) dealing with them - the purchase of the subject of this thread.

My emails requesting UPS tracking number etc went unanswered and I noticed that the lens was still being shown as available on the web site, so after a few days I telephoned. The person who answered investigated and told me that somehow my order had not been actioned but would be done so immediately and that UPS data would be emailed shortly. Nothing was received, further emails not answered, so another phone call. A different person answered, investigated, told me apologetically that nothing had been actioned. A stern (but nevertheless polite) rebuke was given by me and I questioned why on earth was I being charged €28 for trackable UPS shipping when over a week after ordering and despite my emails and phone call still nothing had been done. He had no explanation but said he had the lens in his hand and would personally immediately take it to the shipping department and because of the failures at their end, waive the shipping charge. Three days later the lens arrived.

Alls well that ends well and all that, but a less than impressive performance, leaving a new customer with a bad impression.

• 3 months later...
Here you have all the Elmar, except the "Fat" one, to make your choice ...

I'm curious if there are any discernible optical differences between all the LTM Version I examples you have in the photo? Also is there any difference between the LTM ver. II and the M-mount ver. II (other than the mounts of course)? Thanks for the info.

The optical schema of the Elmar 90 was unchanged till the intro of the 3 elements version, and this applies to both LTM and M versions: of course, it's very probable that different kind of glasses were used during its long (prewar and postwar) life... and of course coating was too an improvement in itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Elmar 90mm f4 Collapsible (LTM)

here you are:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

WestLicht Photographica Auction

LOT 97

Elmar 4/9cm 'collapsible Prototype'

extremely rare prototype Elmar in collapsible M39 screw-mount, aperture scale reads from rear to front, black painted front ring, meter scale (clean lenses, both caps), lens no.633015 is illustrated in Lars Netopil 'Prototype Leica' p.273-275 (with chrome front ring), lens no.633008 (with black front ring) is illustrated in Paul-Henry van Hasbroeck 'A History illustrating every Model and Accessory' - ex Paul-Henry van Hasbroeck collection

Condition: A-

Year: c.1946

Serial no.: 633014

EUR 9.000 (Start price)

EUR 66.000 (Hammer price incl. premium) :D