Elmar 90mm f4 Collapsible (LTM) Availability?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To partner my newly acquired IIIg I would like to find a screw-mount Elmar 90mm collapsible (the rigid versions at 94mm long look as though they would make for a somewhat unbalanced and clumsy outfit). It is not clear in Leica WiKi how many were manufactured in this configuration so I wonder what the likely availability is (UK) ?

Keith, I dont think that lens was ever available in LTM.

Regards,

Bill

Doh! B*gger

Well, in that case an M-mount collapsible would go well on my M4 instead then. So the basic question of likely availability UK-wise still stands...

I have one that I use with my M2. It's a heavy bugger, but compact. You can often find them cheaply suffering from "haze". I bought one in that condition for under £140 a couple of years ago. I took off the front bezel with the rubber ferrule from a walking stick, then used circlip pliers to remove the inner retaining ring. The front cell then drops out into your hand. I cleaned the rear element carefully and - voilà! - a crystal clear example. It's a sound rather than stellar performer but "of the time" and enjoyable to use. Worth a scour of the London secondhand shops... in fact... Give LCE on the Strand a ring - I think I saw one there in the week!

For your IIIg, why not have a look at a 75mm Voigtlander; I had one for years and it goes well with the Barnacks.

Regards,

Bill

I have one that I use with my M2. It's a heavy bugger, but compact. You can often find them cheaply suffering from "haze". I bought one in that condition for under £140 a couple of years ago. I took off the front bezel with the rubber ferrule from a walking stick, then used circlip pliers to remove the inner retaining ring. The front cell then drops out into your hand. I cleaned the rear element carefully and - voilà! - a crystal clear example. It's a sound rather than stellar performer but "of the time" and enjoyable to use. Worth a scour of the London secondhand shops... in fact... Give LCE on the Strand a ring - I think I saw one there in the week!

For your IIIg, why not have a look at a 75mm Voigtlander; I had one for years and it goes well with the Barnacks.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill. LCE do indeed have one - but don't tell everyone

I had not considered the Voigtlander 75mm as I already have a Summarit 75mm. The quest for a 90mm was partly for the 'extra reach'.

The 9cm f4 Elmar is a lovely little lens, it's also very light. It was made to partner your camera, they are so cheap it's worth trying.
Thanks. Leica WiKi unfortunately does not include the length of the 9cm Elmar - just how long is the rigid version? I was concerned it might be a touch overwhelming on the IIIg.

Thanks. Leica WiKi unfortunately does not include the length of the 9cm Elmar - just how long is the rigid version? I was concerned it might be a touch overwhelming on the IIIg.

Here is IT !!! Less than 8 cm... light, thin, truly pocketable, cheap (*)...a very nice little tele...

(*) the 4 elements... the 3 elements in screw mount is a rare collectible...

Thanks, JCB. I intend to buy a LTM Elmar, at least then should I want to use it on one on my M-mount cameras, I can use an adaptor. There is a bewildering array of lenses available, dating from the 1930's with different designations (i.e.Elmar (I), Elmar (II) etc) and when I search Leica WiKi it is not all that easy to track down the serial number, date and design details. Then there are questions such as coated or uncoated, three elements or four elements etc. For the 'new kid on the block', 'tis quite confusing!

Just now I saw a 1952 example (Ser No. 962xxx) that is declared free from fungus and haze, whereas (from what I have read) most from that era do tend to have suffered degradation. Decisions, decisions...

Apart the 3 elements (which is really excellent even to today' standards, but very costly in SM), the easy rule for the 4 elements is "buy a LATE model"... the item I have in my above post is my more recent in SM (1.409.xxx) and is really perfect : coating intact, focus smooth, stop ring soft and perfectly aligned. No difficult to find items in such conditions (it costed less than 200 Euro, with caps and plastic container).

I have one of these 9cm/f4 Elmars with my Leica II (size comparison in the photos in this post) and it is a very light and small lens on a Barnack.

I don't know how it rates quality-wise with current or even contemporaneous lenses, but even though it isn't a very late model (1934) I'm quite happy with the results.

cheerio

philip

Edited by philipus

Well, after looking at what is on offer from many dealers (and Ebay) I have just opted for a 1957 example from Leicashop Vienna. I have never dealt with them before, so will be interested to (a) see how they perform and (

how the lens (described as condition B+) performs...
Well, after looking at what is on offer from many dealers (and Ebay) I have just opted for a 1957 example from Leicashop Vienna. I have never dealt with them before, so will be interested to (a) see how they perform and ( how the lens (described as condition B+) performs...

I check them before you posted and I do not linked them to you cause it was stipuled cleaning marks.

After that, the price is relatively low so you do not take great risks.

I dealed, again recently, with Westlich and their items describtions are always accurate with no emphasis.

Their shipping service, usually UPS, is absolutely correct.

I actually bought most of my LTM kit from Leicashop and received great service from Mr Jo Geier. Very quick delivery too (took just a few days to Holland). And the equipment was in the condition described (if not even a little bit better actually).

cheers

philip